Euro Footie Trip:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Hey everyone:

Come November I'll be embarking on a trip across the pond for the first time with the main focus being watching all the soccer I can. I'm starting in the UK so I can see both Arsenal and Brighton play, those are the main teams of interest for me. Also hopefully going to Portugal, Germany, and the Netherlands.

My question for y'all is what are some of the hidden gem atmospheres, players, teams, etc, that I should check out while I'm over there.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Hey everyone:

Come November I'll be embarking on a trip across the pond for the first time with the main focus being watching all the soccer I can. I'm starting in the UK so I can see both Arsenal and Brighton play, those are the main teams of interest for me. Also hopefully going to Portugal, Germany, and the Netherlands.

My question for y'all is what are some of the hidden gem atmospheres, players, teams, etc, that I should check out while I'm over there.

Definitely visit the lower leagues games. And i mean real low leagues, or so called beer leagues. Between some villages. There is the real football atmosphere.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
You will be extremely disappointed if Arsenal is your place to experience the PL. Newcastle would be my best bet to experience good atmosphere in a big stadium in the PL.

I've been to quite a few stadiums in quite a few countries. Can't say there is one place you have to go, but Turkey (if you can get tickets to a game in Istanbul), Dortmund (haven't been myself, but got a brilliant reputation - there are Dortmund fans here that might confirm - if I'm right) and Bilbao (fantastic stadium and such a ridiculously nice area - San Sebastian more so than Bilbao) are all good options in my opinion.

I'm biased being a Spursfan, but visiting the new stadium might be worth the trip. Spurs - Chelsea at the end of November should be quite spectacular.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
If by chance you go to France, Lens (Ligue 2) and Marseille (Ligue 1) definitely when it comes to atmosphere.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Marseille is good. I hate the stadium, even if I haven't been there since the last renovation, but the home fans really do a good job. In a proper stadium the Marseillefans would be amazing.

Nice area as well (not Marseille specifically which is a bit disappointing - mostly due to poor planning, but that part of Europe is).

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Hey everyone:

They say St. Pauli is great. I haven't seen them in person.

Reactions: robertmac43

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I've only been to Europe once in my life, but managed to catch a Serie A game while I was there.

Saw AS Roma at the Stadio Olimpico and fortunately they beat Palermo 4-1. :laugh:

Very passionate fans at that game, although I do recall it wasn't exactly a packed house.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
A lot depends on the specific matches played when you're there as the atmosphere will depend on the opponent and scenario.

For example around November 11th Cologne will host Dresden in the 2.Liga. That would be a great game to go to because for one it's the start of Karneval season in Cologne, so there's a big party atmosphere either way. Secondly, Dresden always bring a lot of supporters on the road, and I suspect they will come out in force for this one (prestige opponent, big stadium in a big city that's easily accessed).

Reactions: Vipers31

kg458

Capstronaut
Jan 31, 2008
Boston
Any Championship clubs in particular to try and catch at home? Making a similar trip later this year with my father who spent a few years in Leeds, so I’m sure we’ll catch a match at Elland Rd, but I was trying to find another city to plan around. We’ve done this a few times now and for whatever reason lower league matches have always seemed to be more enjoyable.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Wear Earpeace Concert Earplugs from Amazon or something similar at games or you'll hurt your hearing a bit.

I'd go and stay in Preston first maybe, see a game there and I think it's within near distance of both Manchester and a few teams nearby like West Brom, also near the beach.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
You will be extremely disappointed if Arsenal is your place to experience the PL. Newcastle would be my best bet to experience good atmosphere in a big stadium in the PL.

Yeah it's unfortunate the atmosphere at the Emirates is rather sub par. But hey should still be fun as it will be the first time I see them live, so hopefully they show up when I'm there and get a win.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Fulham has one of the best atmospheres in London and the location is pretty wicked too. I am planning a trip to watch the Gunners in the upcoming years and when I do majority of the games will be on the road. Emirates just sucks as a home stadium except during the London derby which is the game I would love to cheque out.

I've been to a Fiorentina match when they played Inter (who were insanely good) during the glory days of Serie A and that was amazing.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The problem with Arsenal is that there's too many tourists and their own local fans don't tend to be all that boisterous either. It'd be like picking Bayern for a visit to Germany.

For London, I'd actually recommend Palace at Selhurst. It's an old stadium, it's intimate, it's in the middle of a neighborhood, the fans are loud. It probably gives you the closest thing to an old-style English football vibe without having to go into the Midlands or North.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Planning on checking out Dunkirk, so Lens should not be too hard to see. Marseille may be a little too far south to get to.
You won't be disappointed with Lens' fans.
They're great. Their stadium is great, their chants too.

Only the team on the pitch isn't.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Only the team on the pitch isn't.

Well luckily for me I'm just going for the atmosphere and culture :p. Do you know how much tickets usually are/ do you have any strategies for getting tickets across Europe?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Fulham has one of the best atmospheres in London and the location is pretty wicked too. I am planning a trip to watch the Gunners in the upcoming years and when I do majority of the games will be on the road. Emirates just sucks as a home stadium except during the London derby which is the game I would love to cheque out.

looks like the only game I'll be going to at the Emirates is when we are hosts to so that should be a good one.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
I'm pretty sure Newcastle will play in the PL in November?

Ashley is currently lobbying the FA for the right to collect the TV money without having to go through the annoyance of fielding a team at all.

As Marx Brothers fans would tell you, it's a very similar strategy to Rufus T. Firefly's method of fighting a war.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Any Championship clubs in particular to try and catch at home? Making a similar trip later this year with my father who spent a few years in Leeds, so I’m sure we’ll catch a match at Elland Rd, but I was trying to find another city to plan around. We’ve done this a few times now and for whatever reason lower league matches have always seemed to be more enjoyable.

Aston Villa and Sheffield Wednesday have traditional stadiums that merit a visit. Both hosted World Cup games in 1966.

Nottingham Forest are two times Champions of Yurp, their stadium hosted games during Euro 96, and it always used to be said that Nottingham boasted the most beautiful women in the country. (Carelessly I've never been there, so I can't confirm).

Preston, Ipswich and Norwich are clubs with decent traditions and old, albeit less famous stadiums. I can recommend West Brom, though you'll be disappointed if you expect to see a beach there.

If you feel a particular affinity with pink seats, you can always visit sunderland. They aren't in the Championship any more, however, because they were relegated after they lost 2-1 at home to Burton Albion.

Obviously, if you plump for the latter option you should stay in Newcastle, see the sights in Newcastle, eat in Newcastle, go out for the night in Newcastle, have a day trip to Durham to walk by the River Wear and gaze awestruck at the magnificent cathedral then regard the site of the rink where once upon a time the Wasps conquered all, and spend as little time in sunderland as is humanly possible, because sunderland is an utterly wretched dump.

Reactions: les Habs

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Earplugs at the football
wiggo.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad