Injury Report: Euro 2020, June 11 - July 11, TSN & TVA Sports: Kickoff

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
Since the Euros went to 24 teams, it's not any more competitive than the World Cup. It used to be with 16 for sure. The number of top teams is a little bit larger as a ratio in the Euros, but the middle and lower end of the distribution is significantly stronger in the World Cup.

There's no comparable to teams like Mexico, Colombia, Chile, Uruguay, USA, Australia, Japan, in the middle of Euro's distribution.

Reactions: Skip Bayless

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Well the World Cup is about to be diluted. 48 teams starting in 2026.

6 CONCACAF teams will qualify. So potentially Mexico, Costa Rica, USA, Panama, Canada, and Honduras.
Dont underestimate Canada as a legit top 3 in Concacaf. Our current ELO has us ranked #41 in the world and climbing (fast).
With the best WingBack in the world: Al Davies, and an impressive scoring group in the 9,10,11 slot, I guarantee other nations are taking notice.
I predict we will get to the #20 in the world for the next 10ish years.
Buckle up, its been too long since 86 Mexico.
Ive had the pleasure of three WC games and it is something else.
1- ITAvIRL in NY 94
2- ARGvGRE in Bos 94
3- BRAvFRA in FINAL 98

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
Dont underestimate Canada as a legit top 3 in Concacaf. Our current ELO has us ranked #41 in the world and climbing (fast).
With the best WingBack in the world: Al Davies, and an impressive scoring group in the 9,10,11 slot, I guarantee other nations are taking notice.
1- ITAvIRL in NY 94
2- ARGvGRE in Bos 94
3- BRAvFRA in FINAL 98

Skeptical. Central American teams are still significantly stronger than Canada, and a world away in player development. It's going to take a lot of changes for Canada to outright pass Costa Rica, Honduras, El Salvador. Even some of the Caribbean teams can still regularly beat Canada in any given match.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Skeptical. Central American teams are still significantly stronger than Canada, and a world away in player development. It's going to take a lot of changes for Canada to outright pass Costa Rica, Honduras, El Salvador. Even some of the Caribbean teams can still regularly beat Canada in any given match.
Oh boy, i dont think you have watched Canada this year. Not one Caribbean or Central American nation stands up to Canada rn.
CONMEBOL federation has a solid 10 teams, but outside of BRA, ARG, URA, COL.... maybe PAR, PER... Canada could slot in at 6-10.. better than Bolivia.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
Oh boy, i dont think you have watched Canada this year. Not one Caribbean or Central American nation stands up to Canada rn.
CONMEBOL federation has a solid 10 teams, but outside of BRA, ARG, URA, COL.... maybe PAR, PER... Canada could slot in at 6-10.. better than Bolivia.

Calm down bro, let's see Canada qualify for a WC before you start slotting them ahead of teams like Costa Rica, which have the horses to knock off major national teams with a little luck.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Calm down bro, let's see Canada qualify for a WC before you start slotting them ahead of teams like Costa Rica, which have the horses to knock off major national teams with a little luck.
Costa Rica is falling.. theyre record since Jan 2020 is 1W - 4T - 5L
GF: 6 GA: 14
1W vs Guadeloupe.
Best game: 0-0 v Mexico (+14 rating)

Canada is climbing: same time period.
9W - 0T - 1L
GF: 43 GA: 5
Best game: 3-0 v Haiti (+25 rating)

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
One of the best FIFA tournaments I've ever watched was this year's Euro. It has really turned into a special event. We were treated to both semis going into extra time, and then the finals. wow! A lot of upsets and shockers throughout the tournament, but then the cream of the crop rose to the top.

The reffing and video review was phenomenal. At no point did the calls leave me shaking my head.

All around a special tournament. I would say, the only thing that would make it more fair, is to have seeds for teams before they draw groups. That way, there's more consistency in the groups and a better chance of the best teams getting to the quarter finals. The other side note, which was mentioned by FIFA, is the distance some teams had to travel in this year's FIFA. Not really fair and should be kept to a couple countries at most. Overall---no complaints! great job FIFA
The bolded part.

I agree. It was such a breath of fresh air coming off the NHL playoffs which may have had the worst officiating I have seen from the NHL in my life (so far, I am sure...)

Reactions: themilosh

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
1- ITAvIRL in NY 94
2- ARGvGRE in Bos 94
3- BRAvFRA in FINAL 98
I'm a huge Canada Soccer fan and I do see the massive improvements. We're still not very good once it comes to the higher levels. Far too many MLS players in the side.

If we can somehow convince Lucas Dias and Daniel Jebbison to play for Canada... things will start looking really good.

Nice win over Martinique the other night. Next up Haiti and USA.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
1W vs Guadeloupe.

9W - 0T - 1L
To be fair to Costa Rica, they don't really play poor teams. And they didn't have to go through the extra round of World Cup Qualifying like Canada did which probably net us 75 Elo points.

Plus, it's extremely hard to fairly judge teams who had players not allowed to play due to COVID.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
1W vs Guadeloupe.

9W - 0T - 1L

First of all, this is a silly comparison considering the quality of who they were playing against. Costa Rica has been playing against Mexico, USA, Honduras, Bosnia-Herezgovina, Panama. Canada has been playing Haiti, Suriname, Aruba, and Martinique.

More importantly, you don't just put teams ahead of others based on a handful of recent games. You don't just put a team that hasn't qualified for the WC in decades, and often doesn't even make it to the god damn hex, ahead of a team that qualifies nearly every tournament in recent history. Even a Costa Rica in decline is a significantly better national side than Canada at any point in their history.

Once again, talk to me when Canada actually starts qualifying for major tournaments. Christ, let's see how they do in the hex before you start anointing them the 3rd best team in NA and the 6-10 best team in SA (lol).

Last edited:

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
First of all, this is a silly comparison considering the quality of who they were playing against. Costa Rica has been playing against Mexico, USA, Honduras, Bosnia-Herezgovina, Panama. Canada has been playing Haiti, Suriname, Aruba, and Martinique.

More importantly, you don't just put teams ahead of others based on a handful of recent games. You don't just put a team that hasn't qualified for the WC in decades, and often doesn't even make it to the god damn hex, ahead of a team that qualifies nearly every tournament in recent history. Even a Costa Rica in decline is a significantly better national side than Canada at any point in their history.

Once again, talk to me when Canada actually starts qualifying for major tournaments. Christ, let's see how they do in the hex before you start anointing them the 3rd best team in NA and the 6-10 best team in SA (lol).
But that is exactly what ELO does. It is the weighted average of victory/defeat based on opponents.
At this snapshot in time, Team Canada is superior to Costa Rica.
All of the CDN players werent even born during the dead era post 86-00. What does history mean? That like saying the Habs should have beat TB bc we have 24 Cups vs their 2 (now 3).
But it doesnt take a genius to see the TB roster was brimming with talent.

You wouldnt have seen me excited about Canada even when we won the Gold Cup - that team was fluky.

This new group (and depth) is powerful, and most importantly can finally score.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
But that is exactly what ELO does. It is the weighted average of victory/defeat based on opponents.
At this snapshot in time, Team Canada is superior to Costa Rica.
All of the CDN players werent even born during the dead era post 86-00. What does history mean? That like saying the Habs should have beat TB bc we have 24 Cups vs their 2 (now 3).
But it doesnt take a genius to see the TB roster was brimming with talent.

You wouldnt have seen me excited about Canada even when we won the Gold Cup - that team was fluky.

This new group (and depth) is powerful, and most importantly can finally score.

I feel like you are either being obtuse on purpose or not understanding a pretty basic argument here.

You want to claim that Canada is the top 3 team in NA, and better than Central American teams that have competed in WCs and advanced to later knockout rounds? You want to claim that Canada would be a "top 6-10" team in SA?

Then let's see them f***ing prove it.

Like jesus man. Canada hasn't qualified for a WC since 1986 (the one and only time we qualified). We are not a football nation.

Canada hasn't even played a single game against anyone in the hex and you want to claim that they are better than all of them?

Let's see how Canada does against Jamaica, Honduras, Mexico, ect before you start running your mouth about a team that has proven jack shit.

I'm sure Canada will improve as they pump money into the program in preparation for 2026 and some players that otherwise would have opted for other nations decide to join Canada instead. But at this juncture, they are still a crappy team that hasn't truly beat anyone good nor proven they can advance against developing nations with a tenth of their population.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
1- ITAvIRL in NY 94
2- ARGvGRE in Bos 94
3- BRAvFRA in FINAL 98

Canada is lacking in balance. They are as deep as ever up front, and obviously davies and David are world class, but I worry about the back line.

Jamaica will be very tough, and Costa Rica may still have something to say even though their group is aging

The central American teams are always a wildcard. It's extremely difficult to pick up points in Panama or Honduras. Their fans are next level crazy and they stop at nothing to make the visiting team as uncomfortable as possible, including keeping them awake at night in the hotel.

I think the Canadians will show strides this wcq, but will ultimately fall a little short. While Canada would surely love to qualify for 2022, I think their main focus has always targeted 2026 at home.

It's very exciting to see where canada is going though. I feel so bad for a guy like atiba Hutchinson who is getting long in the tooth, and Canada wasted his talent on garbage teams until now.

Last edited:

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Canada is lacking in balance. They are as deep as ever up front, and obviously davies and David are world class, but I worry about the back line.

Jamaica will be very tough, and Costa Rica may still have something to say even though their group is aging

The central American teams are always a wildcard. It's extremely difficult to pick up points in Panama or Honduras. Their fans are next level crazy and they stop at nothing to make the visiting team as uncomfortable as possible, including keeping them awake at night in the hotel.

I think the Canadians will show strides this wcq, but will ultimately fall a little short. While Canada would surely love to qualify for 2022, I think their main focus has always targeted 2026 at home.

It's very exciting to see where canada is going though. I feel so bad for a guy like atiba Hutchinson who is getting long in the tooth, and Canada wasted his talent on garbage teams until now.
Friendly wager, they are going to be 3 seed CONCACAF. Theyll be at 2022 WC.

Reactions: ArtPeur

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Friendly wager, they are going to be 3 seed CONCACAF. Theyll be at 2022 WC.

I hope I'm wrong and you're right. I just think this tournament will be a good learning experience.

Their top dogs are still only in their very early 20s.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I'm a huge Canada Soccer fan and I do see the massive improvements. We're still not very good once it comes to the higher levels. Far too many MLS players in the side.

If we can somehow convince Lucas Dias and Daniel Jebbison to play for Canada... things will start looking really good.

Nice win over Martinique the other night. Next up Haiti and USA.

The WCQ roster will look alot different than this gold cup squad barring injuries. It's always nice to see results but it's hard to read into them.

Each team has sent varying rosters to this tournament which are not necessarily representative of what we will see in the WCQ fixtures.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
The WCQ roster will look alot different than this gold cup squad barring injuries. It's always nice to see results but it's hard to read into them.

Each team has sent varying rosters to this tournament which are not necessarily representative of what we will see in the WCQ fixtures.
I mean... not ALL that much different. Davies was on the Gold Cup roster until injury. Borjan, who has been shaky lately anyway and David are the only real big absences.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON

This^

Right now the Gold Cup is meaningless. While nice to win and help ranking, im just hoping for no injuries. The key is the revamped WCQ in Sept onward.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Uhmm no.. top 3 automatic qualification.
#4 goes into a playoff with Oceania i believe.
#5 out of WC

I know that. Still, Canada was struggling for some time. Top5 in this qualification would be a big step ahead for the next WC qualification. My wish would be top4 for sure!

PuckNorris

Mar 11, 2008
Montreal
Can we take a moment to talk about how erratic the Italian National team has been in the last 20 years?

Euro2000- lost final on Golden goal
WC 02 - lost in round of 16 to...South Korea
Euro 04 - didn't make out of their group
WC 06 - Champions!
Euro 08 - Lost QF on pens
WC 2010 - Didn't win a game. Tied Paraguay/New Zealand, lost to Slovakia??
Euro 2012 - Back to the final! but lost
WC 2014 - Didn't make it out of the group
Euro 2016 - lost QF on pens
WC 2018 - Failed to qualify! Disaster
Euro 2020 - Champions!

Which nation has been on this much of a roller coaster with their national program? It's just so odd.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Can we take a moment to talk about how erratic the Italian National team has been in the last 20 years?

Euro2000- lost final on Golden goal
WC 02 - lost in round of 16 to...South Korea
Euro 04 - didn't make out of their group
WC 06 - Champions!
Euro 08 - Lost QF on pens
WC 2010 - Didn't win a game. Tied Paraguay/New Zealand, lost to Slovakia??
Euro 2012 - Back to the final! but lost
WC 2014 - Didn't make it out of the group
Euro 2016 - lost QF on pens
WC 2018 - Failed to qualify! Disaster
Euro 2020 - Champions!

Which nation has been on this much of a roller coaster with their national program? It's just so odd.

Italy biggest problem since forever has always been the group stages. It was the same in 82, 90 and even more so 94 which they almost didn't make it out of the group just to see them reach the final and almost win it all. It's just crazy how they always seem to make it difficult on them.. I think it's the first time in my life I see them destroying the group stage this year just to see them struggle so bad against Austria for example who probably gave them their biggest test in the knockouts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad