News Article: Eugene Melnyk lawsuits:too many to count...

Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
I guess if Melnyk can make it apparent that he can drag this out costing them 100s of thousands in legal fees, they may as well settle for far less now which will amount to more than the remainder they'd be left with after nuisance suit legal fees.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I guess if Melnyk can make it apparent that he can drag this out costing them 100s of thousands in legal fees, they may as well settle for far less now which will amount to more than the remainder they'd be left with after nuisance suit legal fees.
Indeed. And this is how the powerful can get away with things that the rest of us can't. I really hope he doesn't.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Unless the legal fees are also up for grabs. There are some court motions where the loser has to pay the fees for both parties.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
Sure, on The People’s Court it happens all the time.

no..no..be careful. Legal fees are often enough covered in these things. In many instances, legal fees of the winner can be covered. That is why, at least in Canada, you better be careful about suing. You lose, you pay big time. Not the least of which is the other sides legal fees. It is different in the states. But they tend to cover themselves in motions and in many instances, they will counter sue to recover legal fees.

strong arming based upon legal fees and "getting the other side to buckle" works against individuals and individuals who are not the most fortunate financially. One corporation against another or rich against rich..It is an unwise move. All it does is increase the payments that may have to be made.

Reactions: Cosmix and Gesus

Max Power

Nov 15, 2005
Unless the legal fees are also up for grabs. There are some court motions where the loser has to pay the fees for both parties.

This is true in Ontario and most of Canada I believe. There a lot of things that can impact this though, specifically offers to settle compared to what the final verdict is.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It does happen, so that was a bit of an odd comment by Variable.

As Max Power pointed out, if you are difficult and show an unwillingness to settle, you are opening yourself up to potentially paying legal fees.

Church of Alfie

Mar 9, 2011
If I'm Melnyk, I would not want to be deposed. Unlike in Canada, depositions in the US often become public. Though I haven't seen Melnyk's finances, I doubt he wants to answer questions about his ability to pay under oath.

It's one thing to tell a bunch of reporters that you're loaded. It's an entirely different thing to say it under oath.

Reactions: rfournier103

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So....motion 144 is settled...and the rest of the case is ongoing then?

Blech....it never took thing long to get shit done in Law & Order.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I've gathered that there have been motions and possibly orders , and that some portions have been settled. This clearly means that its not over.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Melnyck is flying on private planes for business unrelated to hockey and paid for by the paying fans of the Ottawa Senators - there can be no bigger insult to this fan base.

Anyone who wonders why we are trying to freeze him out, send them this article. The man has no dignity.
The article states Melnyk reimbursed the sens for personal flights.

Overall, the article paints a scummy picture, but using sens money for personal use isn't really the issue here.

Reactions: Xspyrit

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

I don't get this at all.

How can Capital Sports be on the hook for the contract pilot's vacation pay if they are not an employee of Capital Sports? Pretty sure that's why the final pay was never agreed upon when CSE got the invoice. I would fight it too. On principle.

Morgan testified that she tendered her resignation because the job required her to work nearly 19 days per month on average, compared with the 12 days per month she had expected to put in. Melnyk paid her a salary of $130,000 per year.

I wish i could only work 12 days per month.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't get this at all.

How can Capital Sports be on the hook for the contract pilot's vacation pay if they are not an employee of Capital Sports? Pretty sure that's why the final pay was never agreed upon when CSE got the invoice. I would fight it too. On principle.

Morgan testified that she tendered her resignation because the job required her to work nearly 19 days per month on average, compared with the 12 days per month she had expected to put in. Melnyk paid her a salary of $130,000 per year.

I wish i could only work 12 days per month.
This feels like the whole gig economy debate. Are you an employee of uber or can they treat you as a contractor to get out of all sorts of employee protections?

I imagine the case fleshed out in detail the reasons why she was under the law considered an employee of cse but we don't get that detail in the article.

That said, what entity is required to pay her, be it CSE, Melnyk personally, or some other arm of Melnyk's empire is probably not the point. The lady should be paid what she is owed. Whatever contract she signed likely spelled out who was hiring her, and all the other terms of compensation.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
I love this thread.

So a guy using the perks of his position for personal reasons....Really!!!!

Let me recount a story. I worked for a company that was owned by a slightly bigger European Company. We developed a product here. It sold well and we made good profit. They chocked the life out of us. One day, they say they needed someone from here to go there and work with them. We sent them a guy...they billed us for his training and for just about everything else. It cost us all expenses and a further few hundred grand... Then, we would sit with a consultant who wrote reports to the tax department, to get tax credits....which you all paid for.

He is not the first man to enjoy the trapping of his position and pawn the tab off on anyone else. If you have ever worked in the private sector, you would see stuff that would shock you. Heck guys, the whole season ticket thing is what? Imagine corporations who buy them, write them off as expenses. Only to have them be used by management and their "pet employees".

Not paying the pilot...well, that is scummy. But, the same company that was sucking money out of us, was also giving 0 and 1% raises!!!!!! And we came to find out, the owner bought a Prosche and went and repainted it in company colors. It probably cost more, than the combined pay increases they would have giving us.

Just to add more fuel onto this fire. I am guessing Eugene charges the Sens millions a year in consulting services. And more millions in Management fees. When he is playing a round of Golf in the Barbados, I am guessing; Eugene Melnyk Inc. is playing that round and it is being billed to the Sens as: Customer Relations expense. Which indirectly, you pay for.

I would continue, but on a snow day, it is miserable enough.

Reactions: Stylizer1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad