News Article: Eugene Melnyk lawsuits:too many to count...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ventimochatrex

Feb 20, 2019
Just the talk about the Wirtz era in Chicago, comparing it to Ottawa. Granted, we just played the Hawks, but they seem to be implying the next step is like when when Rocky took over the franchise, and the whole focus on rebuilding the brand and getting the fans trust and all that. Kinda sound bit like they were foreshadowing a lot. Way too optimistic, even for morning show guys.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it...
I had to look into what happened with the Hawks. I was hoping that there was a sale in that story, but I love the “Spending money to make money” part of the Wikipedia page. It looks like it worked out for them haha

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Wasn't there a mention of a new line of credit by someone in here just the other day? Like 10 mill or something. Maybe Melnyk just simply paid his debts
The debts would have to be paid by Melnyk not an LOC that the team took. And yes there was mention of another LOC.

Reactions: JD1

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Wasn't there a mention of a new line of credit by someone in here just the other day? Like 10 mill or something. Maybe Melnyk just simply paid his bills.
He sold a horse training center for $6.5M this week. Maybe that's where some money is coming from?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
you guys really want to pile on? You do know that if Melnyk goes, so does Dorion and a few others right?
If the rumoured buyers were to come in I would imagine Alfie would be brought in as President and he would make the call on GM. Usually a full regime change within 12 months but I’m not sure if Alfie and Dorion have a good relationship.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I had to look into what happened with the Hawks. I was hoping that there was a sale in that story, but I love the “Spending money to make money” part of the Wikipedia page. It looks like it worked out for them haha

The turnaround happened by and ownership change when old man Wirtz dropped dead and his son Rocky took over. Invested money in the team, lifted the (insane) blackout on games, and started a true rebuild of the team both on and off the ice.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
If the rumoured buyers were to come in I would imagine Alfie would be brought in as President and he would make the call on GM. Usually a full regime change within 12 months but I’m not sure if Alfie and Dorion have a good relationship.

IMO Alfie is not coming back. It is not his gig. He is not that guy.

Reactions: aragorn

Silex

Jan 22, 2009
Ottawa
Just the talk about the Wirtz era in Chicago, comparing it to Ottawa. Granted, we just played the Hawks, but they seem to be implying the next step is like when when Rocky took over the franchise, and the whole focus on rebuilding the brand and getting the fans trust and all that. Kinda sound bit like they were foreshadowing a lot. Way too optimistic, even for morning show guys.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it...
Unless people at TSN1200 somehow think or know that Melnyk is going to croak soon, I would think that all that talk was probably meant to coincide with the SENS hiring their new CEO and nothing more.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Unless people at TSN1200 somehow think or know that Melnyk is going to croak soon, I would think that all that talk was probably meant to coincide with the SENS hiring their new CEO and nothing more.

Could be. Like I said, maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Just seemed odd the radio seemed overly optimistic and then Variable happens to post believing the court case was settled. Made me wonder if Eugene came into a big pile 'o cash to settle that debt and dismiss the case, ya know. Jumping to one too many conclusions I guess. Or wishful thinking. :laugh:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This thread is about the various lawsuits, current and past, against Melnyk. Any further off topic posts will be deleted. Continuing to draw this thread off topic may result in infractions.

Reactions: Variable26

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
The turnaround happened by and ownership change when old man Wirtz dropped dead and his son Rocky took over. Invested money in the team, lifted the (insane) blackout on games, and started a true rebuild of the team both on and off the ice.

Checks standings against attendance, first year they missed playoffs slight drop off, 3 years of missing lost fans every year, made playoffs slight uptick in attendance, 3 more misses drop drop drop, strong year just missed playoffs return of fans. Next year strong team young stars packed arena, win win packed packed

Church of Alfie

Mar 9, 2011

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Not exactly. It states that they have tentatively resolved "discovery motion #144". Motions deal with specific issues that arise during the course of litigation. While this document states that the issue for which the motion was brought has tentatively been resolved, it does not speak to the action as a whole.

If you read discovery motion 144, I think you'll see the case hinged on this point of the two laws and which one had precedence. I agree it is not clear as mud, but I am sticking with my assumption that it is being settled.

Church of Alfie

Mar 9, 2011
If you read discovery motion 144, I think you'll see the case hinged on this point of the two laws and which one had precedence. I agree it is not clear as mud, but I am sticking with my assumption that it is being settled.

It's to determine whether Tribal or Connecticut laws apply, correct? My understanding is that certain defences pleaded could not apply under the former. The issue is that we don't know what the parties agreed to.

If the plaintiffs abandoned the motion, all that means is that they allowed the defences to be plead. It does not mean that they admitted the defences were accurate.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
It's to determine whether Tribal or Connecticut laws apply, correct? My understanding is that certain defences pleaded could not apply under the former. The issue is that we don't know what the parties agreed to.

If the plaintiffs abandoned the motion, all that means is that they allowed the defences to be plead. It does not mean that they admitted the defences were accurate.

Agreed. But it looks like it is settled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad