Management Eugene Melnyk - Lawsuits, rants and more... Part 5.6 (YOUS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
You are obsessed with Randy, eh?

You could focus on that subject singularly to see the blind spots the Sens have within the larger subject of power, youth, bullying, privilege, sexism, racism and all the things the NHL is dealing with now. They are all present in Randy’s case (racism exemption) and show how unprepared the NHL and individual franchises are at handling subjects of sexual assault, racial discrimination and garden variety white male power privilege and it’s abuse.

I didn’t make the Sens look bad they did, I just like to bring it up when it’s relevant to show it’s a systemic issue

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
You could focus on that subject singularly to see the blind spots the Sens have within the larger subject of power, youth, bullying, privilege, sexism, racism and all the things the NHL is dealing with now. They are all present in Randy’s case (racism exemption) and show how unprepared the NHL and individual franchises are at handling subjects of sexual assault, racial discrimination and garden variety white male power privilege and it’s abuse.

I didn’t make the Sens look bad they did, I just like to bring it up when it’s relevant to show it’s a systemic issue

For sure. Good point.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Reactions: Dionysus

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
NHL agent poll: Opinions on teams and owners, Gary Bettman, gambling, the ESPN deal, the Olympics and more

A question they asked: Is there a team/owner you would encourage a client to avoid?

7 of the 20 agents polled said the Ottawa Senators.

We ranked 2nd, behind Arizona, who received 10 votes

Carolina (surprisingly, although their owner is a bit of a wildcard) ranked 3rd with 5 votes.

No other team received more than 2 votes.
But what other owner would hire a forensic investigation team on your behalf?!?!

Reactions: LudwigVonKarlsson

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I think the main selling point is the facilities. The Sens have better facilities than many other teams do. I remember Bobby Ryan being so happy that the team had cold tubes let alone hot tubes because in Anaheim they had buckets with ice water to sit in.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
But what other owner would hire a forensic investigation team on your behalf?!?!
Erik Karlsson was a mere 23 years old when the incident happened. He had won 1 Norris trophy. Was beloved like few others in the league and in this community. While he would win another Norris, anyone with eyes would have seen he was never going to be the same.

He was the Sens most prized possession. Evidence of that, his play after coming back in the 2017 playoff run. Remember how magical.

Given his age, his fitness, his natural energy output, He may have played at a Norris caliber level continuously for another 10-12 years, And he may have still been here. Even at the $11 million he wanted.

Melnyk lost a cherished possession. A player that could have single handedly maintained fan interest in this market for years. That injury ended all of that. And with it has come a fantastic downturn of events. Less the 17 playoff run, there has been nothing else. What impact do you think this has had on the team's value, year to year profitability and so on?

Now relate it you yourself. Imagine a prized possession. Something you worked hard for. Imagine buying a cottage. Enjoying its use, watching its value appreciate. Then one day, an arsonist takes it out. All you end up with is a portion of its true value, financially or sentimentally. You would do your damndest to find out who. Eugene was angry. As he should have been. Millions out the door. A guy tracking to be an all time great was derailed. Do you know who should be even angrier and more willing to hire forensic experts? us. We got robbed. Just as much if not more than Eugene.

in a 6 year span, we got gooned out of a cup in 007 and in 13 we may have been robbed of our mini version of Bobby Orr. One uncontrolled player took out our Bobby Orr. Imagine a 20 year career at 80 points. 1600 points. He had an outside chance at being the NHL's all time leading point getter for a defenseman. All gone.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Erik Karlsson was a mere 23 years old when the incident happened. He had won 1 Norris trophy. Was beloved like few others in the league and in this community. While he would win another Norris, anyone with eyes would have seen he was never going to be the same.

He was the Sens most prized possession. Evidence of that, his play after coming back in the 2017 playoff run. Remember how magical.

Given his age, his fitness, his natural energy output, He may have played at a Norris caliber level continuously for another 10-12 years, And he may have still been here. Even at the $11 million he wanted.

Melnyk lost a cherished possession. A player that could have single handedly maintained fan interest in this market for years. That injury ended all of that. And with it has come a fantastic downturn of events. Less the 17 playoff run, there has been nothing else. What impact do you think this has had on the team's value, year to year profitability and so on?

Now relate it you yourself. Imagine a prized possession. Something you worked hard for. Imagine buying a cottage. Enjoying its use, watching its value appreciate. Then one day, an arsonist takes it out. All you end up with is a portion of its true value, financially or sentimentally. You would do your damndest to find out who. Eugene was angry. As he should have been. Millions out the door. A guy tracking to be an all time great was derailed. Do you know who should be even angrier and more willing to hire forensic experts? us. We got robbed. Just as much if not more than Eugene.

in a 6 year span, we got gooned out of a cup in 007 and in 13 we may have been robbed of our mini version of Bobby Orr. One uncontrolled player took out our Bobby Orr. Imagine a 20 year career at 80 points. 1600 points. He had an outside chance at being the NHL's all time leading point getter for a defenseman. All gone.
I don't blame him at all tbh and I was pissed too. Karlsson was on his way to being the greatest offensive defenseman of our time.

Matt Cooke was about as dirty a hockey player as has ever existed. What he did to Marc Savard was practically attempted murder. Assault with intent to severely injure at minimum.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

While he certainly went about in a silly way, I can't blame him for being pissed.

Imagine if Austin Watson injured Cale Makar or Adam Fox in the same way that Cooke injured Karlsson?

He'd be thrown out of the league. Cooke wasn't even suspended, largely because Karlsson played in Ottawa and he played for the NHL's darlings.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
While he certainly went about in a silly way, I can't blame him for being pissed.

Imagine if Austin Watson injured Cale Makar or Adam Fox in the same way that Cooke injured Karlsson?

He'd be thrown out of the league. Cooke wasn't even suspended, largely because Karlsson played in Ottawa and he played for the NHL's darlings.
Yes, I clarified above, just a joke. I don't think it would matter if it were anyone else, it wasn't an Ottawa league bias thing, he wasn't suspended because there's no way to prove it was on purpose, hence the "forensic investigation" angle.

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown

And Melnyk took all that anguish and sadness and ran EK out of town. Like the prized possession he was.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
And Melnyk took all that anguish and sadness and ran EK out of town. Like the prized possession he was.

f*** that! We made a shit load off of that declining player. Best move ever. They pumped him up so well, that almost everyone bought into it… including Erik.

Erik wanted big cash. He got it. Small market can’t afford big market cash players that are heading over the hill.

Congrats in the new baby, EK65! We love you.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Don’t make me defend Melnyk. Eugene did no such thing as run EK out of town. EK left because of how Alfie was treated and he wanted the max contract he could get. Euge did nothing directly to EK.

Reactions: Tnuoc Alucard

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
f*** that! We made a shit load off of that declining player. Best move ever. They pumped him up so well, that almost everyone bought into it… including Erik.

I think Erik's on ice play sold himself versus the organization "pumping him up" but .........

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
I think the main selling point is the facilities. The Sens have better facilities than many other teams do. I remember Bobby Ryan being so happy that the team had cold tubes let alone hot tubes because in Anaheim they had buckets with ice water to sit in.

I don't think that’s the case anymore. That was more than 8 years ago now…

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
NHL agent poll: Opinions on teams and owners, Gary Bettman, gambling, the ESPN deal, the Olympics and more

A question they asked: Is there a team/owner you would encourage a client to avoid?

Carolina (surprisingly, although their owner is a bit of a wildcard) ranked 3rd with 5 votes.

notes on why Ottawa isn’t recommended. Honestly thought they’d mention more…

Ottawa and Carolina were also mentioned more frequently than others for varying reasons.
The fact that the Canadian Tire Centre is situated farther away from downtown Ottawa and “out in the middle of nowhere,” is viewed as a fault of owner Eugene Melnyk, according to the group polled.

On what agents look for when making a recommendation. Now it’s a bit clearer to see why Ottawa isn’t in the mix.

The wide array of answers came from a reality that each player is different, and what some players are looking for from ownership is different than others.
“You know which teams stay in the nicer hotels, have the nicer flights, and have the better services overall for a client.”
“Practice facilities or arena is a good place to start. That’s a reflection of how an owner is willing to spend for their players. But look at other things, like massage therapists and support staff. Does a team have one person handling the job of three people or do they have six people handling the job of three people?”
“My barometer for that is basically: Is the owner spending money on the players and the other things fans might not think of? The wives’ room, the kids’ rooms, the rink, the amenities on the plane. Those are the first-class organizations.”
One agent pointed out that he gives each client a checklist when they approach free agency, and the teams that typically check the most boxes have the strongest and more player-friendly ownership.

Further proof we absolutely *NEED* to be at Lebreton/Downtown core

Reactions: DrEasy and Dionysus

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

On what agents look for when making a recommendation. Now it’s a bit clearer to see why Ottawa isn’t in the mix.

What we NEEd is a kids fun room. The vets’ kids can play mini sticks with our young stars.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015

Oh dang the organization’s poor reputation among players must the twitter fan base and the posters on HFboards, I was told it was their fault!!

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Oh dang the organization’s poor reputation among players must the twitter fan base and the posters on HFboards, I was told it was their fault!!

Maybe we should take these evil powers and use them for the forces of good?

We can start a social media campaign and have a billboard that says #ToffoliIn! Fans can promise to write nice things on Twitter, and we can have a player thread with nice comments on HFSens.

Just imagine the power!

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

I'm somewhat surprised that we don't do better when it comes to the off ice things. This city has a lot to offer the UFA types with families. Great schools, multiple colleges and universities, tons of day attractions (museums, art galleries, theatre playhouses, etc). No one is going to be NYC or LA, but we do have a lot to offer the wife and kids.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Don’t make me defend Melnyk. Eugene did no such thing as run EK out of town. EK left because of how Alfie was treated and he wanted the max contract he could get. Euge did nothing directly to EK.
A sad exit for both, but they'll be back one day. We'll be adding Stu as the next face of the franchise by then.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

That poll reminds of Doug Judy and Ray Holt negotiating over what class of hotel, room service allowance and minibar privileges Judy would get to facilitate a sting operation.

The reality is, players are motivated by dollars and term. Everything else is a "nice to get but not a deal breaker" kind of thing and any agent who says otherwise is full of shit.

Like are we actually supposed to believe that a player and agent could get an offer from a team like Ottawa for $20 million/5 years and an offer from another team for $16 million/4 years and the agent would say to the player "it's a good offer but I've heard the Senators tend to stay in the cheaper 5* hotels so I think we should pass"???

That whole poll and quote was so f***ing cringe and detached from reality. I honestly don't even see it as a point of interest as a fan, I just think it's totally distasteful for them to be talking about the perks of a job that pays people millions per year. Even Methot isn't stupid enough to complain about the money he made on their podcast because he knows the average joe doesn't vibe with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad