Tribute Eugene Melnyk has passed away

Status
Not open for further replies.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Such a sad day for Ottawa. The guy had a passion to win and he will be missed. Flawed like all of us, the one thing about Eugene was he took the darts for his decisions and tough choices that the fans had to endure, and sad that he will not be able to see the outcome of those hard choices. I don't think we can appreciate how hard it has been to keep this team afloat and I sincerely thank him for that.

I was fortunate enough to be in his box, opening night in October 2003 and he was a tremendous guy back then. I ran into him a few years ago and he remember me from that night and why I was there...and I sincerely hope his daughters will be given the space and respect to grieve what has been a miserable slow path to this point.

I am sad for him and his family, very concerned about the future and the pit in my stomach, selfishly I admit, has to do more with the huge level of sudden insecurity I feel for our team. It just goes to show you how much it means to have our passion guided by the hand of someone, and that is suddenly gone...

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
- saved the team in 2003
- brought in the Eagles
- took us to the SC finals
- had one of the best teams in hockey for a decade
- all of the charities & good things he did for the troops & sick & disabled kids
- was controversial & passionate sometimes at the same time
- thanks to him we got to all meet on this board
- had a running feud with the city & mayor
- traded Alfredsson & comments at the Outdoor Classic Game turned against him
- kept the team here for the past 20 yrs & we are grateful for NHL hockey in our city
- RIP & sincere condolences to the family & thank you.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Such a sad day for Ottawa. The guy had a passion to win and he will be missed. Flawed like all of us, the one thing about Eugene was he took the darts for his decisions and tough choices that the fans had to endure, and sad that he will not be able to see the outcome of those hard choices. I don't think we can appreciate how hard it has been to keep this team afloat and I sincerely thank him for that.

I was fortunate enough to be in his box, opening night in October 2003 and he was a tremendous guy back then. I ran into him a few years ago and he remember me from that night and why I was there...and I sincerely hope his daughters will be given the space and respect to grieve what has been a miserable slow path to this point.

I am sad for him and his family, very concerned about the future and the pit in my stomach, selfishly I admit, has to do more with the huge level of sudden insecurity I feel for our team. It just goes to show you how much it means to have our passion guided by the hand of someone, and that is suddenly gone...

I was also fortunate to get to watch a game from his box once. The Sens had a big win and I remember him going around after the game high fiving everyone in the box and making sure everyone knew they just beat the top team in the standings. He was really giddy and the passion was evident. It's a shame things didn't work out better in the later years, because he was definitely near the top of the league in terms of owners that loved hockey and being a fan of their team.

Reactions: aragorn and coladin

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
I wish his family well and hope he can now rest in peace. That's about as complimentary/gracious as I'll keep it for a man that genuinely threatened to rip the team from the community.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
RIP Mr. Melnyk and condolences to the Melnyk family.
From a Canuck fan, wishing all the best to the Ottawa Senators organization and fans through this tough time.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

BUCKLE UP

MVPTP
Nov 30, 2009
Ottawa
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for saving our beloved Senators. I met many of my closest friends from years of supporting this team (and voicing our displeasure) I couldn't imagine my life without those friends or this team. It's a shame the last decade left a little bit of a sour taste, but that doesn't take away the thanks that we owe you for your passion and loyalty to this city. Rest in peace Mr. Melnyk.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa

That is definitely unexpected. Not the part where Eugene does something nice, he seemed like the thoughtful, considerate type, but we were led to believe that there was bad blood between Melnyk and Karlsson and that does not seem to be entirely true.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
True to his words, Melnyk owned the Senators until the end. I am sad he couldn't see this generation of the Senators contend for the cup, as he had a genuine passion for the team by all accounts. Really feel for his young daughters losing their dad.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
That is definitely unexpected. Not the part where Eugene does something nice, he seemed like the thoughtful, considerate type, but we were led to believe that there was bad blood between Melnyk and Karlsson and that does not seem to be entirely true.
The sense I've gotten from all the stories that have come out is that Melnyk could be vicious when it came to business, and to those he was at loggerheads with—including players and media. Yet beneath it all, he seems like a man who placed a great deal of importance on family.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Thank you for saving the sens and keeping them in Ottawa. I remember even when we were winning, things were grimm and unstable under Rod Bryden, legit thought team was going to move mid-season with the way Rod was going on, so in the end I’m just glad we as fans found some stability and never truly worried about the team up and leaving since 2003.

Honorable mentions: melnyk’s skate for kids, tribute to the armed forces, pushing for world juniors, all star game, draft, outdoor game, and holy getting Alex Trebek to make the most epic draft pick. In many ways, Eugene did in fact help to put Ottawa on the hockey map, as hard as that is to believe for a small market team.

Reactions: Sweatred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad