Tribute Eugene Melnyk has passed away

Status
Not open for further replies.

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
Wow this comes as shock. As colourful, contentious and controversial as Mr. Melnyk was as an owner, he believed in his team and its talent even when it was not as apparent to we fans.
When he saved this team some nineteen years ago and had the Eagles of all bands come to play at opening night I was happy and thought as a Sens fan we'd finally got an owner who would bring us stability.
I will miss his opinionated passion and his media availability. It was never dull with Uncle Eugene.
RIP

Reactions: SanderSen

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
Sad as 62 years old is still too young to pass away.

Definitely agree that he was passionate about what he did.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
R.I.P and condolences to his family.

Now, what happens to us? Are his daughters of age to have control of the team? Does it go to his ex-wife? Is the team put up for sale?

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Wow. He obviously didn’t look well but this is a shock. RIP
I have the same reaction. I knew of his medical history, but this is still a shock.

RIP EM. You saved the franchise by buying it when you did. Senator fans and the city of Ottawa are grateful for that.

Reactions: SanderSen

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Oh damn, I am shocked, I thought he had more time ahead of him

We criticized him a lot as an owner and he certainly had his faults as a person but this is still sad news

RIP Eugene, thank you for buying the Senators in 2003

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
I’m really not surprised that he passed away as his physical appearance over the past year was telling that he wasn’t well. It would be easy to remember Eugene as a disagreeable bastard, however he also was a philanthropist and contributed to many worthy causes. He also stepped up to buy the Sens when no one else would. My condolences go out to his family and close friends.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Awful news, more than sport.

All the best to his family and friends.

If there is any cheering or anything like that at the moments for him during our next home game, those involved need to be banned for life, and tarred and feathered.

He has a lasting, lasting memory in Ottawa.

Say what you will, not many people who had the Sens in their blood like Melnyk.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I’m really not surprised that he passed away as his physical appearance over the past year was telling that he wasn’t well. It would be easy to remember Eugene as a disagreeable bastard, however he also was a philanthropist and contributed to many worthy causes. He also stepped up to buy the Sens when no one else would. My condolences go out to his family and close friends.
End of the day he owned an organization where dudes skate around smacking a puck with a stick. Any nice thing he ever did in life outweighs whatever stuff he did with his own company that we didn’t agree with. Hockey is small beans.

Reactions: Carl Karlsson

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Sad as 62 years old is still too young to pass away.

Definitely agree that he was passionate about what he did.

Ya I think he meant to do well by the team a lot more than people realize or give him credit for. Sad to see him go, despite the ups and downs, without him there may not have been any Sens hockey to bitch about.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Wow, shocked. Rest In Peace Gene, condolences to his daughters and family. Thanks for saving the team, and thanks for the free Eagles concert, it was great.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
A very passionate man who basically saved the Sens!
Many thoughtful contributions to the community through the Sens Foundation over the years, as well as raising awareness regarding the significance of organ donation in our society. Condolences to his family, friends!

Billy Bridges

Sep 20, 2011
He was a successful business man who loved hockey, and got to live the dream of buying his own NHL team and watching games while living in the Caribbean. Life is too short, but he made the most out of his.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad