Confirmed with Link: Ethan Del Mastro (ELC)

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Saying that all he is is a depth guy is writing him off.

Despite his draft position, he has done exceedingly well in Rockford. He was so young last season that he shouldn't have even been in that league if not for the covid situation.

For AHL defenders under 21 this season, he is 4th in points (12th in PPG) and let me assure you most of those kids aren't 6ft4, nor near as good defensively (the best aspect of IP's game).

That's not to say we should be penciling him into our future top pairing, but we shouldn't be so down on his potential that we should think of him only as a bottom pairing guy.

Not it's not. That's what his upside is. Phillips strongest attributes are his physical tools. I worry about his hockey IQ and his puck-moving and handling ability. To each there own. I'll eat crow if he becomes a legit top-4 guy on a good team. I don't see it. If you consider that "writing him off", cool. I call it reasonable projection of upside.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Mitchell will never be mich since he is so far from an impact offensive star In the NHL lije Mkar is..

So ratger than smallish dmem who simply cannot stop the cycle by actualky winning boad battles ...coming up with the puck and then getting it out or up I transition...the smaller dmen just fail to won the board and puck battles..so pucks stay i out zone....Same idea on Laser who is also fine as a great skater but again too small to win tge boardscor crease front..

And S.Jobes is a terrible reader ofvthebpkay who despite his size also loses to many battles or reacts wrongly and later.

Now instead picture the BIG D combos which shoukd All be in place by 2023/24 season:

Del Mastro Regula
Vlasic* Roos
Allen Crevier

Allen is the smallest at 6'2...he and Crevier worked well as a pairing intge Rookies Tournament last September.
ThisxD is big and they can win board battles...and get the puck back and out if nit saddles with putrid vets on D Hawks currently have..who make govsvof mistakes. .are slow or late reacting..losevthe board and puck battles and except for S Jones cannitcskatevit out..
S Jones is no great stakes on D so he needscto be set free as a winger to attack with power intobthevo-zobexand free his mind (not a defensive mind) to do simpler tasks...S.Jones cannot Finnish but still if set free to rise as a winger will create opportunities i thebo-zobe for others to finish...get him off thecD...hecwill only ruin any youngvd-partner the pair him with.

Just let the kids develop...They havevthecsize to win the puck...they have the defending minds forvthe job...Theyvalk will get better but the foundation is there for sonething realky goid with a Big D.

Now just get is forwatdsxwhobalso win the boards and go to the net and relentlessly forecheck ..

No more fancy dan easy west must be pretty passibg forwards ..Nice when it works...but Kane alone provide us wins...andcedpecialky if not getting Pp elitecsuccess or especially if hisbkine hemnedbin ourcd-zone.

This team needs to go bog...string ...and with goidcspiedx to lug pucks away from forecheckers andvoutbofbourczone...

We must go from smallest 98 lb weakling with weak stick checks to Big physical and focused players...

Reactions: Panzerspitze

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
So, out of these 3 which could be a future D1 pairing with Jones to offset his weaknesses?
The short answer-none.

Regula plays the right side and has his own defensive deficiencies. Although Vlasic's skating has improved, there's a huge difference between playing sheltered minutes and playing against the oppositions top line.

Del Mastro is the wild card of the group and realistically he tops out as a second pair dman.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
The short answer-none.

Regula plays the right side and has his own defensive deficiencies. Although Vlasic's skating has improved, there's a huge difference between playing sheltered minutes and playing against the oppositions top line.

Del Mastro is the wild card of the group and realistically he tops out as a second pair dman.

Vlasic's problem was never skating. Going back to his draft year, that was always lauded as one of his strengths -- regardless of his size, of which he's certainly an exception in the way he moves at 6'6". The issues with Vlasic have been his ability to move the puck effectively and display any kind of offensive game. In the NHL, he's looked alright in a sheltered role -- although he's definitely has some adventures handling the puck under pressure.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Mitchell will never be mich since he is so far from an impact offensive star In the NHL lije Mkar is..

So ratger than smallish dmem who simply cannot stop the cycle by actualky winning boad battles ...coming up with the puck and then getting it out or up I transition...the smaller dmen just fail to won the board and puck battles..so pucks stay i out zone....Same idea on Laser who is also fine as a great skater but again too small to win tge boardscor crease front..

And S.Jobes is a terrible reader ofvthebpkay who despite his size also loses to many battles or reacts wrongly and later.

Now instead picture the BIG D combos which shoukd All be in place by 2023/24 season:

Del Mastro Regula
Vlasic* Roos
Allen Crevier

Allen is the smallest at 6'2...he and Crevier worked well as a pairing intge Rookies Tournament last September.
ThisxD is big and they can win board battles...and get the puck back and out if nit saddles with putrid vets on D Hawks currently have..who make govsvof mistakes. .are slow or late reacting..losevthe board and puck battles and except for S Jones cannitcskatevit out..
S Jones is no great stakes on D so he needscto be set free as a winger to attack with power intobthevo-zobexand free his mind (not a defensive mind) to do simpler tasks...S.Jones cannot Finnish but still if set free to rise as a winger will create opportunities i thebo-zobe for others to finish...get him off thecD...hecwill only ruin any youngvd-partner the pair him with.

Just let the kids develop...They havevthecsize to win the puck...they have the defending minds forvthe job...Theyvalk will get better but the foundation is there for sonething realky goid with a Big D.

Now just get is forwatdsxwhobalso win the boards and go to the net and relentlessly forecheck ..

No more fancy dan easy west must be pretty passibg forwards ..Nice when it works...but Kane alone provide us wins...andcedpecialky if not getting Pp elitecsuccess or especially if hisbkine hemnedbin ourcd-zone.

This team needs to go bog...string ...and with goidcspiedx to lug pucks away from forecheckers andvoutbofbourczone...

We must go from smallest 98 lb weakling with weak stick checks to Big physical and focused players...

Spelling and stuff…

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
Vlasic's problem was never skating. Going back to his draft year, that was always lauded as one of his strengths -- regardless of his size, of which he's certainly an exception in the way he moves at 6'6". The issues with Vlasic have been his ability to move the puck effectively and display any kind of offensive game. In the NHL, he's looked alright in a sheltered role -- although he's definitely has some adventures handling the puck under pressure.
Did you watch him play at BU? Last year he was lacking in any sort of foot speed. Perhaps it was Covid and a lack of training but it was noticeable. I did not see any BU games this season so I was pleasantly surprised with his movement after he signed his contract.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Did you watch him play at BU? Last year he was lacking in any sort of foot speed. Perhaps it was Covid and a lack of training but it was noticeable. I did not see any BU games this season so I was pleasantly surprised with his movement after he signed his contract.

Nope. Just going by the scouting reports from his draft year and in follow-ups since.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Late to the party, but this is the most excited ELC signing for me.

All the reviews - from Hawks brass to Fiddy - have been super high on him this year, and he plays a two way physical style that we've been so severely lacking in some time.

Excited to see how ready he is this summer, but no issues with him marinating another year or two. All about the upside.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Late to the party, but this is the most excited ELC signing for me.

All the reviews - from Hawks brass to Fiddy - have been super high on him this year, and he plays a two way physical style that we've been so severely lacking in some time.

Excited to see how ready he is this summer, but no issues with him marinating another year or two. All about the upside.
He will need at least another year

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
I don't anticipate Del Mastro being ready this off-season. Give him at least a year in Rockford after his final OHL season next year.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Ethan assisted on game winner in double overtime. He was voted the top stickhandler in a coaches poll (Best Penalty Killer, Best Defensive Defenceman), In Eastern Conference
How the hell does a defensive defender his size be voted as being the best stick handler? Let alone one that is a mid round pick.

Not calling you a liar, just crazy to think.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Naster Okan

Jan 8, 2019
How the hell does a defensive defender his size be voted as being the best stick handler? Let alone one that is a mid round pick.

Not calling you a liar, just crazy to think.
Have you seen Soderblom’s brother? 6’8 and hands of gold.

Naster Okan

Jan 8, 2019
I know he's Detroit property, but I haven't been paying much attention to him.

I guess we’ll find out how his abilities adapt. I would say though his awareness and decision making needs to get a lot better, he holds on to the puck and goes for these style of plays no matter the circumstances. He’s such an interesting prospect to me and I hope he can adapt well enough to stick around the league. He moves very well for his size. Tage Thompson has been a blast to watch this year so I hope Söderblom can use that to find some success .

ello

Jun 12, 2018
The Steelheads colour guy said this on game last night yet I havent seen it in print. He does have nice hands.
I went to double check this and found an article about OHL coaches poll 2022 and turns out you must've misheard. Link below.

Best PKer and Best defensive defenseman is pretty damn exciting in its own right though, especially considering he moves well and can make really nice plays offensively

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
I went to double check this and found an article about OHL coaches poll 2022 and turns out you must've misheard. Link below.

Best PKer and Best defensive defenseman is pretty damn exciting in its own right though, especially considering he moves well and can make really nice plays offensively

Bring on the next Ryan McDonagh !!

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Iam notcsurexanyvd-oartner can offset S.Jones flaws as a Dman...which is why I still say hecsgoukd be moved toKW where he (S Jones) can just concentrate on a simpler set if tasks and use hisxattack skills best whike not have to worry about making wrong decisions...late decisions,and confused decisions to leave position...chase and get caught watching as the opps go to his vacated spot and pump goals into ourvnet..

S Jones does not havectge Brian's tonojay tge position proberly...but freed from tge cerebral clarity problem to process tge pkay before him,he ought to thrivexathketicakkyvas a KW with skating...speed ...over and if not a great shot at least create set-ups from the wing as he moves in on net...butcask him to be in correct position in thecd-zonexas play of incoming attacks preceeded is asking sonethibg hevis incapable of...

Move him upto wing and let Vlasiic,Regula and Del Msstro handlectge more complex thought processing involved in d-zobe pkay.

I have zero confidence th Luke Richardson and a zone defense scheme can help what is obviouslyva mind problem for S Jones..

you cannot post a-37 despite all the offense he creates and not be convinced that S Jones has a major major problem processing the flow of play coming at him and making correct decisions to stop these attacks....way too off position and caught chasing and failing to get back iin tine...unlike most complaints of our vet dmen(turnovers) ,S Jones ratger us justvin the wrong place at the wrong time way way too much..He does not havectge mind or hockey sense defensively ifvyou prefer that term...
He has many good qualities ....athleticism...ability to pkay big minutes in games...skating...passing....yes his shotcfrom tgeboijntvdoes nitvoroducecenough goals,but I eoukdvoverlook that aspect of his game IF only hevorocessed better in drfendibgvattacksvinto our d-zobe...he simply cannot.

Vlasic...Reguka and Del Mastro alk process better..take better correct positions...know when to chase and when notcto ...Tgey reaction time...notvdelauedcorvin confused miner abdctgeyvrekease and get back into position better that S Jones often caught still engaged on the corner when he needsxto be back protectobgvtge slot.

He does notceotger follow the puck well nor does he get to loose oucksvin time and clear correctly...nor does he separate guyscoff pucksxwithout lingering too long in that positioninsteadvif hustling back to protect the slot.

He simply has no conception of defending properly.

That is what my eyexsees...therefore I am so encouraged by tge potential for actual defensive competence that Vlasic,Reguka and Del Mastdo cN bring to thus team..actual defending competence.

Does not mean they are best in the keague or all -star shutdown guys. BUT compared to Mr -37,they will look like all star shut down guys in comparison.

Motcsurextgey will add much offensively(maybexReguka if they let him use his shot from the point) ....but since the puck will be in our d-zone a lot less time,that is a net win for us as our forwards should benefit from more time in the o-zone as a consequence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad