Ethan Bear entering the NHLPA player assistance program

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Are you stating that its okay to say its a mark on indigenous people as a whole because Ethan Bear entered Rehab. No because it has nothing to do with him being indigenous. So why does indigenous people need to be lumped into it. A few moron decided to be racists. Why is it a mark on Oiler fans and Albertans as a whole. Are you saying that there are no racists outside of Alberta or that there are no racists in any other fan base. If not, then I don't understand what you are saying. Please explain why its a mark on me as an Albertan and Oiler fan because I take huge offence to your implications.

The only time in recent history that I'm aware of that a fanbase heaped racist abuse on their own player because he made a mistake was Edmonton/Bear. It didn't do much to dispel stereotypes about Northern Albertans.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Any reading into it as my saying “all” is entirely in your own interpretation. I said no such thing.
“Albertans As a whole”, means in entirety. All, not parts of.

Here's a link. It was shameful, his response was good, but its mark on Oilers fans and Albertans as a whole. Im glad it wasn't the majority and got shutdown pretty fast. But it happened and it sucks for him.

11Messier

Jul 3, 2010
Edmonton
The only time in recent history that I'm aware of that a fanbase heaped racist abuse on their own player because he made a mistake was Edmonton/Bear. It didn't do much to dispel stereotypes about Northern Albertans.
Wow. Crazy the people that are willing to put their name out promoting prejudice and stereotypes.

I did not know that northern albertans are known for being racists. Thanks for letting me know. Before you came on board it was all of Alberta. Thankfully you removed southern alberta from this topic. Where exactly is that border line. I need to figure out which side i fall on.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Did someone do an IP search on these people because acting like you know they were even Albertans is stupid.

Reactions: 11Messier

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I wasn't a huge fan of his play in Carolina (at least post-covid), but most d-men suck when they first join the Canes until they learn our system. That said, I always really like him from a personal perspective, seemed like a good guy, was well-liked in general by the fans & team, and was glad we could help him escape some of the BS/racism he faced while in Edmonton. Wishing him the best, hopefully he is able to overcome his demons.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
It's commendable that he's seeking help before his 2nd born arrives. Good luck Ethan!

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Bear's quality of play and work ethic really fell off after his rookie year in Edmonton. He started off looking really really good and it's a shame it's come to this. Can't help but think his troubles began in his sophomore season.

I'm sure the racist idiot brigade on Twitter didn't help (seriously, f*** that website) but I knew there must of been other reasons why he left. Clearly he's been having some struggles for a while. Hopefully he can get things straightened out.

Reactions: Satire

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
That's a damn shame. Hopefully, they provide the support needed to get him through this hump.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Bear's quality of play and work ethic really fell off after his rookie year in Edmonton. He started off looking really really good and it's a shame it's come to this. Can't help but think his troubles began in his sophomore season.

I'm sure the racist idiot brigade on Twitter didn't help (seriously, f*** that website) but I knew there must of been other reasons why he left. Clearly he's been having some struggles for a while. Hopefully he can get things straightened out.
His work ethic wasn't really there his until his first full year. He even talked about it on local radio how he spent the summers eating bad food, drinking beers with the buddies. Instead of focusing on training. Something clicked for him in the summer of 19 and he smartened up.

Then the following year there were rumblings that the coaching staff wasn't impressed with him to start 20-21 and fell out of favour with the club quick.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Wow. Crazy the people that are willing to put their name out promoting prejudice and stereotypes.

I did not know that northern albertans are known for being racists. Thanks for letting me know. Before you came on board it was all of Alberta. Thankfully you removed southern alberta from this topic. Where exactly is that border line. I need to figure out which side i fall on.
Homie, dont let some guy on the internet get to you. I'm from Northern Alberta too. f*** what they think.

Reactions: Canadian Finn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad