Ethan Bear entering the NHLPA player assistance program

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
wish him all the best, seems like a really good dude.

especially feel for him as he's made comments in the past about struggling with the culture and day-to-day demands of being an nhl player / pro athlete, so hopefully the program gets him on track for long term success outside of hockey

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
It was sickening when people jumped on him and used his race against him as insults when he had the gaffe in the playoffs that one year.

I didn't hear about this but I'm glad the comments didn't seem to be prevalent and/or carry on as I never saw them. But I don't doubt that happened from some sick individuals.

Hopefully Ethan recovers fully.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I figured there was something behind his fall off. I remember the year he broke out he said all summer he just focused on training and sure enough he looked unreal. For whatever reason he never got back to that level. Appears we know the reason.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

11Messier

Jul 3, 2010
Edmonton

Here's a link. It was shameful, his response was good, but its mark on Oilers fans and Albertans as a whole. Im glad it wasn't the majority and got shutdown pretty fast. But it happened and it sucks for him.
Give it up dude. "Oiler fans and Albertans as a whole". What does a few ass hats have to do with everyone as a hole. Why not include all of Canada with that because it happened in Canada. Hell It happened in North America so the US is in this too. Well crap, It happened in the world, so this is a black mark on the world.

Or

It's a black hole on the crap individuals that said those things. I can find examples of crap people for every team and every city. That does mean every fan and everyone that lives in that city are the same.

Givememoneyback

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Give it up dude. "Oiler fans and Albertans as a whole". What does a few ass hats have to do with everyone as a hole. Why not include all of Canada with that because it happened in Canada. Hell It happened in North America so the US is in this too. Well crap, It happened in the world, so this is a black mark on the world.

Or

It's a black hole on the crap individuals that said those things. I can find examples of crap people for every team and every city. That does mean every fan and everyone that lives in that city are the same.
There was a point that got missed in this take.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015

Here's a link. It was shameful, his response was good, but its mark on Oilers fans and Albertans as a whole. Im glad it wasn't the majority and got shutdown pretty fast. But it happened and it sucks for him.
Mark on oilers fans get a grip it was comments over the internet from nameless and faceless people it's beyond idiotic for people like you to try to act like it represents any group let alone all of Alberta or oiler fans.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
It's a got to be a bit disappointing that he'd sign his big contract and then enter the program. Something he probably should have sorted out first rather than take the money.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
The last few that entered the program was a cover up for the real shit they did. This program seems like a farce and an “easy” out for the shit people are in or do.

• Haha
Reactions: luiginb

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hope he gets the help he needs.

The last few that entered the program was a cover up for the real shit they did. This program seems like a farce and an “easy” out for the shit people are in or do.

Seems like you are collapsing separate things. None of the London Five went into the player assistance program. Several made statements about taking time away, but none went into this program.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013

Or

Mark on oilers fans get a grip it was comments over the internet from nameless and faceless people it's beyond idiotic for people like you to try to act like it represents any group let alone all of Alberta or oiler fans.

Yeah, we should just pretend it never happened.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I don’t read that’s what he’s suggesting in that response.

Its pointing out the problem with suggesting it was all Alberta and all Oiler fans as a whole, that were attacking Ethan. Whenever you assign blame to an entire segment or population you cause many good people who don’t condone or participate in this thought path to get swept up as guilty. It’s no different than saying all people from reserves are alco…. well, you get the point I’m sure. It’s just false and it’s wrong. :)

We shouldn’t assign blame to entire groups. It’s blatant stereotyping .

11Messier

Jul 3, 2010
Edmonton
Where did anyone say that. It's ironic that stereotyping and being prejudice is your solution to descrimintating behaviour.

In other words treat people as individuals. Do not group people based on their ethnicity, or in this instance, on the city they live in and the team they cheer for. Oiler fans and Edmontonians have nothing to do with what happened. You want to lambast those that did it. Please do. Just don't group people that have nothing to do with it into your crusade, because that makes you no different than those ass hats.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I don’t read that’s what he’s suggesting in that response.

Its pointing out the problem with suggesting it was all Alberta and all Oiler fans as a whole, that were attacking Ethan. Whenever you assign blame to an entire segment or population you cause many good people who don’t condone or participate in this thought path to get swept up as guilty. It’s no different than saying all people from reserves are alco…. well, you get the point I’m sure. It’s just false and it’s wrong. :)

We shouldn’t assign blame to entire groups. It’s blatant stereotyping .
Any reading into it as my saying “all” is entirely in your own interpretation. I said no such thing.

11Messier

Jul 3, 2010
Edmonton
Any reading into it as my saying “all” is entirely in your own interpretation. I said no such thing.
Are you stating that its okay to say its a mark on indigenous people as a whole because Ethan Bear entered Rehab. No because it has nothing to do with him being indigenous. So why does indigenous people need to be lumped into it. A few moron decided to be racists. Why is it a mark on Oiler fans and Albertans as a whole. Are you saying that there are no racists outside of Alberta or that there are no racists in any other fan base. If not, then I don't understand what you are saying. Please explain why its a mark on me as an Albertan and Oiler fan because I take huge offence to your implications.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad