Blue Jays Discussion: Estrada nearly unhittable. Our bullpen? Not so much. Also, CB Bucknor sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/jays-have-shown-willingness-to-pay-for-top-player/

It would be really awesome if instead of trading the massive prospects that everyone expects us to use to get top guys, we instead take the hit of actual contracts (which Rogers could absorb if they could reasonably assume that those players would help us to have bigger crowds later in the year and potentially have playoff baseball) and trade lesser prospects

LaCarriere

Realistically they may need to trade better prospects for teams to eat some salary.

They'll need to fill holes for Dickey / Buehrle, need money for Donaldson raises thru arbitration or try to sign him long term, possible extensions for Bautista / EE, Martin raises, etc.

They aren't going to raise payroll to 160+, they won't ever compete in salary with Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, etc so if they want to win with this team now they may have to give up some good prospects to get the pitching to do so.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
They aren't going to raise payroll to 160+, they won't ever compete in salary with Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers,

How do you know that?

I don't recall anybody from the management of the team ever saying that.

Just because that has never happened to this point, doesn't mean it won't ever happen.

Beeston and AA have consistently said that if there is a deal that makes sense that involves taking on more money, the money is there if they need it.

AA has been pretty clear that he is open for business. I've been operating under the assumption that the Jays are willing to part with good prospects or take on big money, but they're not willing to do both in the same deal.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Barry really needs to stop it with these Valencia interviews. Every time it's "how do you feel only starting against left handed pitching?"
We know he's a platoon player, he knows he's a platoon player. Why torture the guy.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Has there been any word on what happens with Blue Jays Central from now on with the Tim & Sid show taking over 6-7pm ET (3-4pm PT) on weekdays? I've looked around the other Sportsnet networks over the next few days and didn't see anything ahead of games that are at the usual night start times.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Has there been any word on what happens with Blue Jays Central from now on with the Tim & Sid show taking over 6-7pm ET (3-4pm PT) on weekdays? I've looked around the other Sportsnet networks over the next few days and didn't see anything ahead of games that are at the usual night start times.

I saw a tweet the other night that blue Jays central will still be on. I didn't realize there was a conflict but that's a tweet I read for what it's worth.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada

I thought Tim and Sid's show started at 5 p.m. each day?

And I assumed it would be on one network and Blue Jays Central would be on another.

Along the lines of:

360: McCown and Prime Time
SN1: Tim and Sid
Regular network: Jays

mikebel111*

Sean Reid-Foley

5 IP
7 H
1 ER
2 BB
6 K's

83 pitches [26 balls, 57 strikes]

pitches by inning

1st inning

balls 2
Strikes 15
Pitches 17

2nd inning

balls 4
strikes 13
Pitches 17

3rd inning

balls 6
strikes 8
Pitches 14

4th inning

balls 13
strikes 12
Pitches 25

5th inning

balls 1
strikes 9
Pitches 10

He lost his control a bit in the 4th inning, throwing the first 6 pitches for balls but settled down after that. Only really maybe 1 or 2 balls were hit hard, so the hit count is a little misleading

Some highlights from his start

struck out the side in the 1st inning.
According to the announcers, his change up looked better than it has ever before. I believe it hit 87MPH but he was able to control it so that's a nice sign. His fastball hit 96MPH a few times, and even did a change of pace on his fastball which I believe was 91MPH. Slider looked decent as well

All in all a nice start. The change up showing progress even though it's just one start is a great sign.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don't think that Smoak is all that special, but why not use him to pinch hit for Valencia in the 9th? I don't get it. Is he nursing an injury or something?

LaCarriere

I don't know why Martin wasn't catching and Smoak wasn't playing first.

Just start playing the best ****ing lineup instead of platooning. By that I mean don't play Valencia because he hits LH pitching good.

Just play the best players the team has.

Navarro has been playing way too much, Donaldson and Martin have like 3 days off a week... it's ridiculous.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
It's not like Martin's hitting the cover off the ball lately. Navi threw out a runner himself. That said I would have pinch hit Smoak for Navi easily. The top 4 going cold all at the same time is annoying.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I don't know why Martin wasn't catching and Smoak wasn't playing first.

Just start playing the best ****ing lineup instead of platooning. By that I mean don't play Valencia because he hits LH pitching good.

Just play the best players the team has.

Navarro has been playing way too much, Donaldson and Martin have like 3 days off a week... it's ridiculous.

Their giving guys days off against a team we should easily beating. They need to build up navarro's value in an effort to trade him for value. He's also been hitting well of late which is not the case for the top half of the lineup. You want them to put out the best lineup but so t want them to platoon bats. You know they do that to put the best lineup possible out right. Valencia is hitting lefties almost .400 I believe. Yeah let's leave him on the bench to put someone else in that hits 250 because you think their a better player. Donaldson hits lefties at about .400 as well which is why he dh'ed tonight. All these things seem very obvious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad