ESPN'S Top 15 NBA Players of All-Time

Elvis P

Everybody on the whole cell block
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Nos. 1-5: 1. Jordan | 2. Kareem | 3. LeBron | 4. Magic | 5. Wilt
Nos. 6-10: 6. Bird | 7. Russell | 8. Duncan | 9. Shaq | 10. Hakeem
11. Oscar Robertson 12. Kobe Bryant 13. Jerry West 14. Julius Erving 15. Moses Malone
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/nbarank1/all-nbarank-1

Mine would be

Nos. 1-5: 1. Russell, 2. Jordan, 3. Kareem, 4. Magic 5. Wilt,
Nos. 6-10: 6. Duncan, 7. Kobe 8. Shaq, 9. Bird 10. Hakeem
11. Oscar Robertson 12. LeBron 13. Jerry West 14. Julius Erving 15. Moses Malone

Last edited:

Elvis P

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Bird doesn't belong in top 10.
The best passing small forward ever and the best player on 3 Championship teams whose career averages are 24.3 points, 10 boards, and 6.3 assists. Obviously he does. I'd put him 9th ahead of Hakeem.

Last edited:

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
The best passing small forward ever and the best player on 3 Championship teams whose career averages are 24.3 points, 10 boards, and 6.3 assists. Obviously he does. I'd put him 8th ahead of Hakeem and LeBron.

How is Bird a better passer than LeBron?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Magoc, Bird, Wilt, Shaq >>> LBJ

Hakeem/Duncan can also be considered.

Its just ESPN being biased for their patron saint LeBron James.

Russell is highly overrated when you take in account the era he played in.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
You're never going to get a consensus on something like this, but for me I have no issues with the names. The order I would change up.

Any list starts with MJ for me.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
How is Bird a better passer than LeBron?
000865r2.gif

Elvis P

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Kobe > LeBron. I agree with Pippen being in the top 25. I found the top 15 and I'm going with this now:

Nos. 1-5: 1. Russell, 2. Jordan, 3. Kareem, 4. Magic 5. Wilt,
Nos. 6-10: 6. Duncan, 7. Shaq, 8. Bird, 9. Hakeem, 10. Oscar Robertson
11. Kobe Bryant 12. LeBron 13. Jerry West 14. Julius Erving 15. Moses Malone

Last edited:

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
We have to be careful with the ring argument

John Stockton was a great player yet he is ringless

Lebron didn't have prime Shaq and Gasol either

Robinson could have retired with 0 if not for drafting Tim Duncan; it wouldn't have made him less of a player; no center was going to win with Avery Johnson and Vinny Del Negro, he needed help

Elvis P

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
We have to be careful with the ring argument. John Stockton was a great player yet he is ringless. ...Robinson could have retired with 0 if not for drafting Tim Duncan; it wouldn't have made him less of a player; no center was going to win with Avery Johnson and Vinny Del Negro, he needed help
Nope. Malone, Barkley, and Stockton are 3 great top 20 players, but no rings (especially the Mailman and Stockton playing together) despite Jordan being retired for 2 years in the prime of all 3 are the some of the reasons they are not top 15. Robinson being outplayed in the playoffs by Hakeem pre-Duncan and not being to win w/o Duncan is not impressive either and keeps him out of the top 15 also.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Nope. Malone, Barkley, and Stockton are 3 great top 20 players, but no rings (especially the Mailman and Stockton playing together) despite Jordan being retired for 2 years in the prime of all 3 are the some of the reasons they are not top 15. Robinson being outplayed in the playoffs by Hakeem pre-Duncan and not being to win w/o Duncan is not impressive either and keeps him out of the top 15 also.

Malone was a huge choker; tbh Stock carried his ass; the Jazz would have beaten Chicago in the Finals if that clown showed up

Yeah Robinson got outplayed but no shame in that, Hakeem was better AND he had better teammates

No player was going to win with the just the likes of AJ, Del Negro, etc ... not even Hakeem, Bird, Jordan, Jabbar

It's not 1 on 5 basketball

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
The best passing small forward ever and the best player on 3 Championship teams whose career averages are 24.3 points, 10 boards, and 6.3 assists. Obviously he does. I'd put him 8th ahead of Hakeem and LeBron.

Lebron and Bird had a similar impact offensively, albeit in different ways, but Lebron was also one of the best defensive players in the league at his best. I can't take anyone seriously who thinks that Kobe or Bird belong ahead of Lebron (or that Russell was the best player ever) because RINGZ.

If you truly believe that nothing you ever say in this section can be taken seriously. :shakehead

It's a reasonable opinion. I would probably put all the guys 7-10 on ESPN's list ahead of him.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I've never read something I disagreed with more. Russell won 11 titles in a 13 year career and should be #1. LeBron has only won 2 rings and should be #12 after Kobe who won 5 rings. This is just a terrible list.
You put WAY too much stock into rings. Is that the ultimate goal? Sure. Is that the defining achievement when ranking a player's individual's legacy? Certainly shouldn't be. Can't fault a guy for being on bad teams. Wilt probably would've won 13 rings in 13 years on those Celtic teams. LeBron carried an AWFUL Cavs team to a competitive Finals against a team that's gonna set the all-time win mark this year. And this is coming from someone who's not a huge LeBron fan.

Absoluetly. Shaq was a man among children. He redefined the position. Towards the end he was out of shape but in his prime he'd carry the ball up pg style.

Jury is still out if lbj would have survived playing back then.
I like Shaq more than LeBron and can't say I completely disagree with anything you said, but in that I agree that Shaq was a man among children, his stats don't really bear that out. For him to have never led the league in rebounding (or blocks) at that size is downright embarrassing. Given the freak size/athleticism he had, he should have really distanced himself from guys like Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing, etc., and he just didn't statistically.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Is this the same list that currently has Steph Curry better than Isiah Thomas?

Pass.
Don't get me wrong, in terms of total body of work it's not close, but I'd be very surprised if Curry isn't considered better than Isiah when all is said and done.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Steph is currently a far better player than Isiah ever was. It depends on how much you value peak versus longevity.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Idk in today's NBA Isiah would average 45 ppg and 20 apg tbh

lol I'm just going to assume your "tbh" is a mark of sarcasm as it usually seems to me. Isiah was an inefficient scorer. Just mediocre from 3. Not big and athletic enough to get to 45 points with shots around the rim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad