ESPN's Annual Scoring Projections for 23/24

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
So ESPN just released their scoring projections, and there is some............... yeah questionable content.

Noticeable Highlights
- McDavid and Draisaitl lead the league (McDavid has a slight dip) at 148 points, Draisaitl with 129
- Pettersson is third with a projection of 116 points (Highly doubtful)
- Jack Hughes 107 points
- Matthews with 99 Points
- Stutzle with 99 points (edit: article is different, 95 points)
- Marchand 46 Points :baghead:
- Luke Hughes puts up 50 points
- Bedard puts up 90 points
- Fantilli 49 points
- Karlsson 97 Points to lead all d-men
- Wyatt Johnson scores 25 points (he had 25 goals last season) :eek:
- Shane Wright 40 points
- Bo Horvat ourscores Malkin with 71 points
- Slafkovsky scores 55 points
- Tommy Novak who spent a good chunk of time in the AHL last season scores 65 points
- Huberdeau continues to look like overpaid garbage with essentially the same scoring as last season

Last edited:

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
As a pens fan if Karlsson hits those numbers I will be shocked.

I guess it's nice to see estimated games played but I'd rather they just put out pace or if they play 82 games.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
As a pens fan if Karlsson hits those numbers I will be shocked.

I guess it's nice to see estimated games played but I'd rather they just put out pace or if they play 82 games.

Even weirder is Crosby plays a full season and is projected to finish 8 points below him at 89 points.

Barring injury, I don't see a scenario where Crosby gets outscored by Karlsson by almost 10 points. If anything he should see a bump in his numbers due to Karlsson's presence.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Malkin is going to have to miss a lot of games (very possible) given that at 5v5 he will most benefit by the addition of EK65 of the current Pens (Malkin will now get either Letang or Karlsson for 5v5 where Crosby used to mostly get Letang ) plus the benefit of EK65 on the PP to be beat by Horvat. (Holy run-on sentence).

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012
Even weirder is Crosby plays a full season and is projected to finish 8 points below him at 89 points.

Barring injury, I don't see a scenario where Crosby gets outscored by Karlsson by almost 10 points. If anything he should see a bump in his numbers due to Karlsson's presence.

I've always felt that an offensive d-man with elite finishing ability would help Crosby's numbers more than any winger would. I don't think anyone is better at finding the late trailing defenseman on the rush. He's also great at moving the puck from down low behind the net to up high. I think he and Karlsson are going to be ridiculous if they are put together often. I'm just not sure if that will be the case as I think they will try to keep him with Letang and put Karlsson and Malkin together at 5 on 5.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I'll take Marchand to produce more than that even with Boston struggling down the middle.
Talking about shitting on Wyatt Johnson :(
Montreal fans will be ecstatic if Slaf scores 55 points.
Tommy Novak scoring 65 points is very possible. They're weak down the middle. He should get a lot more playing time and he was on pace for nearly 70 points / 82 last season.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Only questionable ones in your list are Johnston and Wright. Doubt wright plays more than 30 NHL games this year. As for Marchand with the paper bag, why? He's been on a steady decline. 1.3 PPG 21, 1.14 22, 0.92 23. It's not as if he's getting younger and Boston got significantly worse offensively. 45-55 points sounds about right. More than likely retires after next season(24-25) when his contract expires.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
If Karlsson hits 97 points Crosby is going to have more than 89.

Remains to be seen. The best 36 year old season in history is Selanne with 94 points. Ovie came close to beat it with 90 points in 77 games but still, not a sure thing that Sid can come out and destroy the record. Time always wins. But then again Gordie scored 103 at 40 years old so who knows.

Reactions: PaulD

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
How do they decide a player will become injured and play under 82 games?

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I think this is the year that Jack Hughes is on another level and hits 50 goals, 100+ pts. He would have had 100pts last year but he missed 4 games.

Reactions: PaulD

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Remains to be seen. The best 36 year old season in history is Selanne with 94 points. Ovie came close to beat it with 90 points in 77 games but still, not a sure thing that Sid can come out and destroy the record. Time always wins. But then again Gordie scored 103 at 40 years old so who knows.
I think he's more referencing the fact that if EK is going to have a monster season like that it probably means Pens are feasting on the PP and the offence is clicking therefore Crosby will have a monster year too rather than decline (slightly) from last season. They're intertwined.

Reactions: Luigi Lemieux

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad