ESPN Top 100 Footballers 2020

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
1. Neuer and ter-Stegen need to be swapped. Otherwise, keepers list is pretty good.
2. I didn't realize how poor the RB standard is right now. Dest is way too low for the RB list. Hakimi and Pavard are also too high. Would have AWB on the list, as well.
3. CB list is maybe the worst position. Kounde and Upamecano are way too high. Don't even belong on the list. Alaba rated way too high for a non-CB. Marquinhos way too low. Where's Gimenez?
4. LB list is okay. I don't have any huge gripes. I'd have Chillwell a little higher. The back half of the top 10 is mostly interchangeable with players like Renan, Lucas Hernandez, Angelino and Bensabaini being deserving of a spot on the list.
5. Three Madrid CM's, but they leave out Valverde? Modric and Kroos are past it. Don't belong. Henderson doesn't belong either. I think the list is very interchangeable after the top two. Players like Rice, Zakaria, Bennacer, Ruiz, Barella, Saul all have an argument for a place on the list.
6. This is where we see the major Premier League bias. Grealish has had a great start to the season. Still doesn't belong. Pogba? Does he even play club football anymore? Szoboszlai is the major name missing.
7. I don't like the winger list. Vinicius isn't as bad as most think, but not a top 10 winger. Eden isn't even the best Hazard anymore. Ocampos at 8 is too high for me. Maybe at 10 as a hot-take. Sane is better than Coman. di Maria doesn't belong. Sancho too low. Where's Jota? Oyarzabal and Ziyech also could've had a place.
8. Jimenez is not better than Zlatan, Lautaro or Morata. Haaland is better than Lewa.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I didn't even see Vinicius or Ocampos lol what a joke.

Tagliafico not on LB is the biggest joke.

What has Dest done to be a top 10 RB? I have no issues with the player but its too soon to make that claim. End of the season maybe not as of now.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Henderson belongs based on last season, and frankly there should have been room for Wijnaldum as well, especially if they considered international form. Agree with most of everything else written.
RB, CB and GK are very very very shallow positions.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I didn't even see Vinicius or Ocampos lol what a joke.

Tagliafico not on LB is the biggest joke.

What has Dest done to be a top 10 RB? I have no issues with the player but its too soon to make that claim. End of the season maybe not as of now.

I forgot about Tagliafico.

It’s a poor list of RB’s. Dest is unproven, but that’s better than being bad. Hateboer and Navas are not good. Hakimi is brutally overrated.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
There is no way in hell that Dest is better than Reece James, let alone Kyle Walker being at #5 when James isn't even there

I don’t know why Dest has started to get so much criticism around here. I know one guy really dislikes him, but he’s been nothing but good the last two seasons. It’s a weak crop of RB’s. He’s one of the few whose actually pretty good.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I don’t know why Dest has started to get so much criticism around here. I know one guy really dislikes him, but he’s been nothing but good the last two seasons. It’s a weak crop of RB’s. He’s one of the few whose actually pretty good.
Which two seasons is this?

Imagine ranking Ederson the 6th best goalie in the world. He isn't even the 6th best goalie in his own league.

or DDG

Reactions: Blender

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I forgot about Tagliafico.

It’s a poor list of RB’s. Dest is unproven, but that’s better than being bad. Hateboer and Navas are not good. Hakimi is brutally overrated.

Navas IS very good. I have him as the 2nd best RB in the world behind TAA.
Ansu Fati and Mikel Oyarzabal should be on those lists.
Why the hell is Marcelo still in these lists?

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Pretty dishonest of you to claim he's been good for 2 season given the fact he's played like 10 games so far.

I never tried to deceive, so it's not dishonest. I can phrase it differently if you like. It doesn't really change much. Yes, he's played 12 games this season. So what? Thats the normal amount of games he should've played at this point in the season. He's been good. Odd that you are now arguing against Dest. He's 20 years old, and doing well for one of the biggest clubs in the world. Are even five of those other RB's on that list good? As I've been saying, it's a poor standard, so Dest doesn't have to be elite yet to be better than those players. Dest has to still improve, but I think he's better than a good bunch of those RB's ahead of him.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I never tried to deceive, so it's not dishonest. I can phrase it differently if you like. It doesn't really change much. Yes, he's played 12 games this season. So what? Thats the normal amount of games he should've played at this point in the season. He's been good. Odd that you are now arguing against Dest. He's 20 years old, and doing well for one of the biggest clubs in the world. Are even five of those other RB's on that list good? As I've been saying, it's a poor standard, so Dest doesn't have to be elite yet to be better than those players. Dest has to still improve, but I think he's better than a good bunch of those RB's ahead of him.
Your claim that he's been good for 2 seasons is wrong since he clearly doesnt have 2 seasons under his belt. Im not arguing against Dest. I was a big advocate for barca to get him even though he didnt have many fans on here and many were claiming he wasnt as good. I liked what little I saw of him. So far like I said no complaints Im happy with him and hope he starts more. Im also trying to be realistic and as of now he's not a top 10 RB.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Im also trying to be realistic and as of now he's not a top 10 RB.

What you don't seem to understand, or maybe you just disagree and haven't addressed this, is that its a really weak group of RB's. When Hakimi, who makes all types of errors, is #2, and #1 TAA has also been pretty bad this year, you know it's a bad list. Some of those guys aren't even real RB's.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
What you don't seem to understand, or maybe you just disagree and haven't addressed this, is that its a really weak group of RB's. When Hakimi, who makes all types of errors, is #2, and #1 TAA has also been pretty bad this year, you know it's a bad list. Some of those guys aren't even real RB's.
It's a weak position, Dest hasnt separated himself from anyone

Reactions: YNWA14

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think this list's purpose so for us to clicks that ESPN put out and more clicks equals more revenue for them.

The hilarity of it in itself is beyond my expectations though, sososo bad but that's what ESPN probably wants. Chilwell is actually ranked above Marcelo. Kyle Walker is actually in the top 5. Oblak for some reason isn't ranked as the best goalkeeper in the world with Navas still somehow in the top 10. Pavard is legitimately ranked over Carvajal. No joke, Henderson is ranked above Fabinho lol. Their CB list is probably the single worst individual ranking of those.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
CB list is maybe the worst position. Kounde and Upamecano are way too high. Don't even belong on the list. Alaba rated way too high for a non-CB.

Alaba may be a winger in his few games with the Austrian national team, but with FC Bayern he's only playing CB.

Upamecano together with Sabitzer was the biggest reason behind Leipzig's Champions League success last season by the way, dominating both Tottenham and Atlético.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad