TSN: ESPN: Nonis interview with Lebrun

onebighockeyfan

May 2, 2010
That is correct.

The precise day we can begin negotiating a contract with Kessel is the day his NMC kicks in.

Meaning, Kessel decides his own fate.

Locking him in for 5 years at ~6 million per year would be really great. That way the price paid for him is somewhat mitigated.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
I liked what Nonis had to say in the interview. Time will tell whether he will remain true to his statements to never go for the quick fix. However, still nervous about the potential Luongo trade talks which don't seem to be going away and would be counter to what Nonis has said here. I'm comfortable that he won't be sending anything significant in a trade with Vancouver, but just taking on the Luongo contract will be an unnecessary drain on cap flexibility down the road...even if that's 5+ years down the road. All those long term cap circumventing contracts are toxic and imo teams will regret having them in the long term, even while loving them now. Toronto does not have one now and I'll be disappointed if Toronto takes on one in Luongo's.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
I guess in your opinion a GM should never get fired because he's never accountable for his moves because he's not a psychic ?

You're either trolling or you're seriously butthurt over Burkes firing . Either way it doesn't matter because Lord Burke isn't coming back regardless of how much people try to spin his record here .

I am not a fan of Burke nor Nonis. I am of the opinion that his intentions were to get us a much needed superstar to replace the departed Sundin. (of course Kessel is no Sundin) We needed a difference maker.

Sure Burke has to be able to assess the talent level on his team, but I truly believe he thought that with the help of his UFA signings and the deal that brought in Kessel would at least propel us into the playoffs.

I think Burke needed to be fired, but I also think there is more to his firing than was publisized. When he came on he made sure that he had a certain amount of power, I doubt that extended into Nonis's contract.

hockeyfanz*

I gotta say I'm loving what Nonis is doing and saying. I wish he was hired years ago instead of burkie. Burkie did a pretty good job but I suspect Nonis would not have traded for Kessel. Kessel is great but it was a deal made way too early in a rebuild. Think of what we'd have without the Kessel trade.

Seguin
Hamilton
Schenn L
Reilly
Kadri
Gardner

And if Burkie didn't sign Martin Gerber at the trade deadline in 2009 (Gerber then got hot and win us a bunch of late season games) we'd likely would have had Duschene, Kane or B Schenn instead of Kadri.

So what you're sayin is that the Leafs would be a different team if a different GM had managed the team? :laugh:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I liked what Nonis had to say in the interview. Time will tell whether he will remain true to his statements to never go for the quick fix. However, still nervous about the potential Luongo trade talks which don't seem to be going away and would be counter to what Nonis has said here. I'm comfortable that he won't be sending anything significant in a trade with Vancouver, but just taking on the Luongo contract will be an unnecessary drain on cap flexibility down the road...even if that's 5+ years down the road. All those long term cap circumventing contracts are toxic and imo teams will regret having them in the long term, even while loving them now. Toronto does not have one now and I'll be disappointed if Toronto takes on one in Luongo's.
For sure, he could be Burke all over again. I was all for Burke until he traded our picks, then the disatisfaction started. Nonis is no different, today I'm all for him. If he trades for Luongo the disatisfaction starts. because he will be doing things differently than what I think is the correct path.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I am not a fan of Burke nor Nonis. I am of the opinion that his intentions were to get us a much needed superstar to replace the departed Sundin. (of course Kessel is no Sundin) We needed a difference maker.

Sure Burke has to be able to assess the talent level on his team, but I truly believe he thought that with the help of his UFA signings and the deal that brought in Kessel would at least propel us into the playoffs.

I think Burke needed to be fired, but I also think there is more to his firing than was publisized. When he came on he made sure that he had a certain amount of power, I doubt that extended into Nonis's contract.

No ones arguing what Burke thought at the time of the deal . He looked at the team , thought he could play hero with a quickie retool and got burned .

As far as the firing goes i agree there were many factors invovled . IMO it was a combination of his record , his arrogant over the top personality and the rumors floating around about his private life .

I think Nonis has all the power needed to build a team . Burke got carried away and thought he wasn't accountable to anyone . The teachers never got invovled and LT is a jock sniffer who has no clue and let Burke do whatever he wanted .

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Nonis is Bell/Rogers puppet. Getting rid of players to save $ to make more $ for the owners. The owners know very well they don't have a playoff team so Nonis is doing their bidding.

Nonis is an employee and has a boss...so what, most people do. However Leafs have been a spend-to-the-cap team year after year and I expect they will continue to be, so your negative premise is way off. These moves are about retaining maximum cap flexibility while dealing with personnel movements.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
I'm not too confident in Reimer/Scrivs this season, and I have a feeling that neither is management. The shortened season is a flop, and they blame it on poor goaltending/ management change. I think (or am hoping) this is what Nonis has in mind.

With a real 1C, and a good goalie this team will be a threat.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
So all the crying fans who shouted that ownership was meddling in hockey affairs by firing Burke, and being shortsighted bufoons who just want to "win now" for "playoff money" can shut up

the proper rebuild has finally started. nonis is anthopolis.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
I'm not too confident in Reimer/Scrivs this season, and I have a feeling that neither is management. The shortened season is a flop, and they blame it on poor goaltending/ management change. I think (or am hoping) this is what Nonis has in mind.

With a real 1C, and a good goalie this team will be a threat.

we need wayyyy more than one center and an NHL goalie to be a "threat"

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario

Well I disagree, with a ppg center who has a large impact on the game (Cough* Mackinnon *Cough) and a goalie capable of putting up a .920 - .930 SV%, we would be a threat. Let's not forget the abundance of defensive and bottom 6 prospects we currently have, along with an already pretty decent top 6.

DaveT83*

God I love Bell/Rogers - I hope they win a Championship - ****ing Teachers Pension and MLSE have been nothing but a cancer on this Franchise since day 1.

NaiveLeafsFan

Aug 29, 2010
Ajax, UofT

Really? I think depth wise we're up there with the top teams in the league. What's holding us back is a #1 C, #1 G and a top 4 defenseman. :laugh: Unfortunately those are pretty big holes. Thankfully we have everything else filled in my opinion ;)

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I think Nonis is really just continuing what Burke had started, some of his recent moves like the Lombardi trade is actually a Burke rule proposal change for the CBA (taking back salary) and so too the Connolly Waiver, if he isn't claimed, he will be sent to the Marlies and now there is no re-entry waiver, so he can be recalled at any time and come back to the Leafs, he will be released at the end of the year and the cap will go down, in the mean time he is insurance but not part of the 23 player limit and the young guys will get a shot.

Burke just ruffled too many feathers in the new ownership and Nonis is a more introverted copy, I think probably most of these moves were probably discussed before Burke was axed.

Luongo will not be coming here, at the asking price of young talent, just as Burke wouldn't do a deal for the same reason.

The only thing that has changed is the Face of the franchise.

Nonis will be the GM going forward but I think all that has happened so far, was always part of the plan, that Burke and Nonis had put together.

Now that Burke is not the GM the build can continue and Burke's 5 year plan is now extended to 7 or 8 years however Nonis will from now on be making the deals as the GM in charge but I think all that has happened recently has Burke's finger prints on it too.

Last edited:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I think Nonis is really just continuing what Burke had started, some of his recent moves like the Lombardi trade is actually a Burke rule proposal change for the CBA (taking back salary) and so too the Connolly Waiver, if he isn't claimed, he will be sent to the Marlies and now there is no re-entry waiver, so he can be recalled at any time and come back to the Leafs, he will be released at the end of the year and the cap will go down, in the mean time he is insurance but not part of the 23 player limit and the young guys will get a shot.

Burke just ruffled too many feathers in the new ownership and Nonis is a more introverted copy, I think probably most of these moves were probably discussed before Burke was axed.

Luongo will not be coming here, at the asking price of young talent, just as Burke wouldn't do a deal for the same reason.

Nonis will be the GM going forward but I think all that has happened so far, was always part of the plan, that Burke and Nonis had put together.

Now that Burke is not the GM the build can continue and Burke's 5 year plan is now extended to 7 or 8 years however Nonis will from now on be making the deals as the GM in charge but I think all that has happened recently has Burke's finger prints on it too.
I believe Burke was all set to get Luongo, we'll never know for sure. However if he was this team will definitely be different than if Burke were still here.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

If it makes you feel better then you can go right on thinking every move Nonis makes was all part of Burkes plan . The truth is every GM uses the same tools when building a team . The only thing that differs is how these tools are used .

As far as Burkes rule change that allows teams to take back salary is concerned it seems Burkie didn't have a problem with cap circumvention as long as it was on his terms .

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I believe Burke was all set to get Luongo, we'll never know for sure. However if he was this team will definitely be different than if Burke were still here.

I don't think Burke was going to get Luongo, he has said That Reimer is his goal tender and Scrivens would be back-up.

Everyone thought as soon as Nonis took over, Luongo would be on his way here but Nonis is doing and saying the same thing.

Nonis will be calling the shots from now on but the recent moves, I believe were planned, well in advance.

KesselLooksLikeRadar*

Honestly, I don't care if we make the playoffs. We're not that good of a team, so, I'd rather see the youth play and have an exciting team

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I don't think Burke was going to get Luongo, he has said That Reimer is his goal tender and Scrivens would be back-up.

Everyone thought as soon as Nonis took over, Luongo would be on his way here but Nonis is doing and saying the same thing.

Nonis will be calling the shots from now on but the recent moves, I believe were planned, well in advance.

Yeah but at his exit presser some reporter asked what was the team going to do about a goalie. His reply was I don't know it's not my problem now. He could have said we are fine with Reimer we have our goalie.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I know some on here will say I don't believe what he's saying, he's just a puppet for Rogers..When Nonis goes into these interviews he does't have a script in his hand playing a role for a play. He's being real, he's being genuine about what his idea and his plans are for this team. I really am getting sick of reading about "he's just a puppet, JFJ was a puppet, Burke was a puppet" Look every GM has a boss, every GM has to keep in touch with ownership because obviously they want to know wtf is going on with their team. Nonis is going to be patient here and that article should be music to our ears.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Yeah but at his exit presser some reporter asked what was the team going to do about a goalie. His reply was I don't know it's not my problem now. He could have said we are fine with Reimer we have our goalie.

He also said the same thing when a reporter asked him what the Leafs were going to do for the fans and he was right it's not his problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad