TSN: ESPN: Nonis interview with Lebrun

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Last edited by a moderator:

KingBuzzo

A custom title.
Nov 3, 2010
Toronto
Just finished reading this up. For once, I feel like the whole patience thing around here might be a word they stick too for a little bit. It's kind of scary, but I mean how else do you grow a young team?

I like Nonis. He seems like he calculates his moves 4 steps ahead before he even decides to take them.

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009
Pierre LeBrun: Nonis Preaching Patience

Good article on Nonis who says all the right things.

here's some clips:

He's already got a trade under his belt, moving center Matthew Lombardi, 30, to Phoenix on Wednesday night for a conditional fourth-round pick and then Thursday making the difficult decision to place center Tim Connolly, 31, on waivers. One can easily surmise from both those moves that it's about making room for youth.

"Yes," said Nonis. "At some point they have to be given an opportunity to sink or swim if they've earned that opportunity. Our farm team has performed to a high level for close to two years now. A lot of those players are young players. If they play better than some of the veterans, even for a short time, they have to be given an opportunity."

The question is, has the plan changed now with Nonis at the helm?

"The destination hasn't changed, but maybe the road to get there has altered somewhat," said Nonis.

"I'm not going to give up youth for older players," he added. "We would trade a young player for a young player. We might trade from strength. But we're not going to trade a bunch of young players or first-round picks for short-term gain. You can't build a club that way. There's a point in time where you're good enough and deep enough where you can look at doing some of those things -- we're not there. And if we start to do that, we're going to end up being severely hampered in the development process of our club."

The money quote:

"Am I asking the fans to be more patient? Not really, because I understand what they've gone through," he said. "We've got fantastic fans. I don't think you ask the fans to be patient. But we have to be. We have to be. It's up to us to try to put together a team that can win and win for a long time. Our ownership group has made it clear what they want: a winning team that can win for a very long time. They've been very supportive and given us all the resources, we have everything we need here to try and put together a winning team. But we're going to take the time that we need to allow these players to grow. If we can make moves that will fast-track it, we will, but not at the expense of first-round picks and good, young players."

http://espn.go.com/nhl/preview2012/...o-maple-leafs-gm-dave-nonis-looking-make-mark

Bleed Blue and White

Oct 4, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Really admire Nonis after this. He gets it, or at least he seems to. He also knows that the fans aren't stupid, he doesn't have to ask us for patience he knows that with the mentality he's illustrated in this article we will understand success down the road will come, and it will be around for a long time. He doesn't need to ask us for patience... he just doesn't want to get an itchy trigger finger so to speak.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Sounds like he is telling Gillis to take a hike:handclap:

I don't get how this is a good thing, you do know you have reimer and scrivens in net this season right?.

Sure you don't wanna pay, but that does not mean u guys are in any better situation.

I don't get the clapping, It's like you are saying "YES! we got the worst goaltending tandem in the nhl!".

If the leafs don't go after luongo, they better as hell go after somebody else, because they have little chance making any playoffs with the current goalies.

I am trying hard to understand some people on here, As a fan of both the canucks (mostly) and the leafs (love the young talent), It really does make my mind boggle when I notice how happy people are with the goaltending situation they have.

flame away

onebighockeyfan

May 2, 2010
http://espn.go.com/nhl/preview2012/...o-maple-leafs-gm-dave-nonis-looking-make-mark

I have to say, I really like what Nonis has to say. I really like that it looks like he has the mandate to build this team slowly, and the right way. As a fan, I am willing to be patient to see that this team can become a true challenger for an extended period of time, even if it takes several more years missing the playoffs.

I heard the same thing when Burke signed. Look where we are now.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I don't get how this is a good thing, you do know you have reimer and scrivens in net this season right?.

Sure you don't wanna pay, but that does not mean u guys are in any better situation.

I don't get the clapping, It's like you are saying "YES! we got the worst goaltending tandem in the nhl!".

If the leafs don't go after luongo, they better as hell go after somebody else, because they have little chance making any playoffs with the current goalies.

I am trying hard to understand some people on here, As a fan of both the canucks (mostly) and the leafs (love the young talent), It really does make my mind boggle when I notice how happy people are with the goaltending situation they have.

flame away

There are some UFA keepers this summer.

Leafs aren't winning the Cup this spring, and you'll likely need Luongo in net when Schneider collapses from the pressure.

You should be happy.

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008

flame away

Spoken like a true blue (but heartbroken) Van fan.

sgupca

Oct 9, 2008
Halifax, NS
I gotta say, i've been a Nonis fan for a long time.

Burke did a good job while he was here, but it was his time to go.

I also predict Nonis will land at least 1 big fish (UFA signing) this summer - something burke woudn't do.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
There are some UFA keepers this summer.

Leafs aren't winning the Cup this spring, and you'll likely need Luongo in net when Schneider collapses from the pressure.

You should be happy.

I agree, But the way people are talking about "this year" is that they are in this great position.

The reality is that the leafs are in a awful position right now.

Are they in a good position in the future?, absolutely.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

flame away

Happy with the goaltending situation? Nope.

Willing to make a move at any cost? Nope.

It appears what Gillis is asking, is more than I think the Leafs should pay at this point.

I'm not focused on the playoffs this year, I'm focused on hoping the Leafs become what the Canucks are now, a team the has for several years been near the top, or at the top of the league, and competing for the cup. You've got to admit that trading away Gardiner and a 1st for Luongo doesn't help our long-term. Sure, maybe we get to the playoffs, but still not a very good team. We need more building blocks. I'll cheer for the young team, and hope we make the playoffs. Maybe our young goalies can do it. If we don't make the playoffs, more building blocks. All is good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad