TSN: ESPN: Nonis interview with Lebrun

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I know some on here will say I don't believe what he's saying, he's just a puppet for Rogers..When Nonis goes into these interviews he does't have a script in his hand playing a role for a play. He's being real, he's being genuine about what his idea and his plans are for this team. I really am getting sick of reading about "he's just a puppet, JFJ was a puppet, Burke was a puppet" Look every GM has a boss, every GM has to keep in touch with ownership because obviously they want to know wtf is going on with their team. Nonis is going to be patient here and that article should be music to our ears.

It's sad that some people think the Leafs GM is the only GM in the league that has to answer to the owner(s) .

JFJ said he had complete control and the only thing the board didn't allow him do was a total rebuild but he only asked once he drove a 100 pt team into the sewer .

Burke had complete control and after 4 full years the team isn't anywhere close to the contender he promised he could build .

Nonis may not have the autonomy Burke did but no ones going to interfere with his day to day moves .

It seems the people who bend over backwards to defend the GM are just looking for a scapegoat to blame because they can't admit the person they suported was a failure .

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
It's sad that some people think the Leafs GM is the only GM in the league that has to answer to the owner(s) .

JFJ said he had complete control and the only thing the board didn't allow him do was a total rebuild but he only asked once he drove a 100 pt team into the sewer .

Burke had complete control and after 4 full years the team isn't anywhere close to the contender he promised he could build .

Nonis may not have the autonomy Burke did but no ones going to interfere with his day to day moves .

It seems the people who bend over backwards to defend the GM are just looking for a scapegoat to blame because they can't admit the person they suported was a failure .
Amen
alot of truth in that statement.

Riellyfan04

Feb 25, 2010
Toronto On
This article makes me sooo freaking happyy!!!! and i love seeing these comments from follow leafs fans who agree with nonis!!! i hate those freaking fans who want old guys on the team to jus make the playoffs for the sake of it..we need to rebuild properly and need to keep our young guys to become solid from years!!!! I hope nonis keeps his words!!! i dont want lou .

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Lol if Nonis is a puppet then so is AA cause he said in his presser he called Rogers (or whoever) to make his deals.

Imo burke wanted luongo and would have pushed hard to get him to propel this team into the playoffs which imo is the wrong move. Getting a nice top 5 pick in next years draft is the best way to build this team.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Nonis is 2 for 2

I like both moves, and like the fact they are making room for Kadri and a few others and they are responding at camp. Kadri has been very good apparently.

I really hope we enter the season with Reimer/Scrivens as well before we make a dump panic trade for Lou.

No rush. Nonis might just be quietly rebuilding right to a another lottery pick.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I like both moves, and like the fact they are making room for Kadri and a few others and they are responding at camp. Kadri has been very good apparently.

I really hope we enter the season with Reimer/Scrivens as well before we make a dump panic trade for Lou.

No rush. Nonis might just be quietly rebuilding right to a another lottery pick.

This team is either going to do well and sneak in the playoffs or end up with a top 3 pick IMO. There is no middle ground as I see it which is the best you can ask for at this point with our situation. I'll be happy with either or.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
watch lombardi/connolly hoist the cup

What they do from this point onwards in their career is irrelevant.

In the case of Lombardi - I think I speak for most people in saying let's hope he turns things around and puts his injury and fitness issues behind him and finds some consistency in the NHL.

But what they do from this point onwards, post-Leafs, in their career doesn't matter. The fact is that neither of them were a fit to this team, and didn't factor into the long term plan of this team, and thus were shown the door.

ON TOPIC - While the Lombardi deal was a decent deal, the Connolly move was probably the most obvious move for Nonis to make. While they are both good moves, I'd say that they were minor + expected moves; worth mentioning that, as I've seen people clamining Nonis to be a genius and all sorts already

Whether they go on and tear it up, or disappear into mediocrity, has no bearing on the fact that they just didn't fit here.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I'm ready to eat crow! I didn't want him to be GM only because he was a Burke disciple but whatever he has said since he's taken over, are not only mine but thousands of other people's sentiments who have been pressing for a proper rebuild.

If he sticks to what he just talked about on ESPN, then I'm 100% behind him.

I think the Leafs are heading in the right direction, guys!

:)

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Let's not give up on this season already though lol ;) I know a lot of us are happy that it looks like a proper rebuild is going to happen, let's hope this team can sneak in the playoffs somehow. The one thing I don't want is a 9th or 10th finish but I guess if I'm hoping for them to make the playoffs I have to admit there is an obvious risk of finishing in that spot.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I gotta say I'm loving what Nonis is doing and saying. I wish he was hired years ago instead of burkie. Burkie did a pretty good job but I suspect Nonis would not have traded for Kessel. Kessel is great but it was a deal made way too early in a rebuild. Think of what we'd have without the Kessel trade.

Seguin
Hamilton
Schenn L
Reilly
Kadri
Gardner

And if Burkie didn't sign Martin Gerber at the trade deadline in 2009 (Gerber then got hot and win us a bunch of late season games) we'd likely would have had Duschene, Kane or B Schenn instead of Kadri.

So pretty much the exact same group minus Kessel and JVR.....basically we're out Hamilton?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Saw him in an interview with James Duthie last night as well in the TSN preview show.

He's re-iterated the idea that you need to have a deeper team and farm system to be able to trade top prospects and 1st rounders for veterans. Seems to understand that you have to build a core first before you try to add with trades (exception being trading from a position of strength to a position of weakness).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad