ESPN Dumps NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbjrocks

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Gary Buttman said:
Maybe the NHL could stay on the NBC/GE team and put games on USA Network. What else do they have on? THey could run a bunch of NHL games, if they wanted to pony up the $$. Although having ESPN was key because theyre one of the few cable networks to do HDTV, and I'd bet ESPNHD is the biggest of the HD cable channels when it comes to how many different providers its on. TNT, maybe? Theyre in HD, as is....um...actually thats it. Damn.

Or...FX? I think theyre launching an FX HD soon. And that would be a Fox thing. Who knows...maybe Spike TV isnt that far off. The more HD the better, though.

It's amazing to me that I went through 108 posts before someone mentioned this.

It's simple...

NBC owns the Olympics
NBC needs NHL players in the Olympics.
Hightest cume rated sport in the 2002 Olympics...hockey
USA Network will probably show the majority of Olympic Hockey (in 2002 it was on CNBC and MSNBC, but that was before NBC bought Universal and acquired USA Network)
USA will have the national cable rights to the NHL, thus serving as a promotional vehicle for the Olympics
NBCs game will also serve as the vehicle.
USA has as many subscribers as ESPN and ESPN2(seperatly, not combined)
Tennis, golf and hockey will be the only sports on USA
Cross promotional opportunities with NBC, MSNBC and CNBC (more reach than the Disney networks)

It's a great plan if Bettman can pull it off..he needs
- Owners to agree to the Olympics
- Players to agree to the Olypmics
- A done CBA

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
cleduc said:
I actually cited "the other major sports broadcasting arrangements". I just gave one example. I didn't realize "the rules" were that I had to give specific examples for every "major sport" that was of interest to you. Sorry.
Semanitcs. Yes, you said "the other major sports." And then you only mentioned the NFL by name.

DARKSIDE

Nov 17, 2003
Hasbro said:
Have you seen some of the sports they do broadcast?

You mean like pool and poker. My only concern with ESPN dropping the NHL, is that the owners will now use this as an excuse to lower their offer yet again and the PA will decline and before you know it, we lose another season.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
cbjrocks100700 said:
It's amazing to me that I went through 108 posts before someone mentioned this.

It's simple...

NBC owns the Olympics
NBC needs NHL players in the Olympics.
Hightest cume rated sport in the 2002 Olympics...hockey
USA Network will probably show the majority of Olympic Hockey (in 2002 it was on CNBC and MSNBC, but that was before NBC bought Universal and acquired USA Network)
USA will have the national cable rights to the NHL, thus serving as a promotional vehicle for the Olympics
NBCs game will also serve as the vehicle.
USA has as many subscribers as ESPN and ESPN2(seperatly, not combined)
Tennis, golf and hockey will be the only sports on USA
Cross promotional opportunities with NBC, MSNBC and CNBC (more reach than the Disney networks)

It's a great plan if Bettman can pull it off..he needs
- Owners to agree to the Olympics
- Players to agree to the Olypmics
- A done CBA

USA just spent millions of dollars re-axquiring the rights to the WWE cable shows. Thye don't have room for hockey.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Given that now the NHL TV package is going to be bargain basement priced, it gives the NHL a chance to start fresh with a new cable network and do something to change one aspect to the slide which is killing hockey: Innovate how the game is shown on television

I disagree. It is the product itself that has too be improved. The entertainment value of an NHL game has been in decline for the past decade. You can't make trap hockey entertaining to those unfamiliar with the game.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Dr Love said:
Not after a building a brand new arena they haven't. If the Coyotes were to be contracted, Glendale has every right to sue.

When the Colts moved out of Baltimore, Baltimore sued them, and the Colts had to pay $400,000 (in 1987). Browns fans sued Modell when he moved the team.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but neither of those lawsuits resulted in the teams staying in the original cities, did they?

If an owner wants to move, he will.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Dr Love said:
Yeah, let's contract Phoenix, I'm sure the lawyers for city of Glendale, which just paid for a shiny new stadium won't have anything to say. Or for the Thrashers, who just got new owners.

Meh, the Suns can move in.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
hockeytown9321 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but neither of those lawsuits resulted in the teams staying in the original cities, did they?

If an owner wants to move, he will.
No they didn't, and I never said they did nor meant to imply that they did. I displayed them as what they were: lawsuits against teams that moved that resulted in the team forking over cash. My point was that if the NHL wants to contract Phoenix, they're probably going to run into some legal troubles given that the team just got a brand new arena build with municipal funds--a unique situation. Glendale is not going to stand idly.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
I can't believe some people think this is a good thing and are under the woefully misguided impression that the NHL would be better served by the likes of Spike TV.
Hello? Nobody watches Spike TV except for wrestling fans!

Regardless of what you think of ESPN, it is by leaps and bounds the premiere sports network in the States. It's the NHL's best hope for exposure not only because it will air a ton of games, but because ESPN - out of the self-interest of marketing its own programming - will do more hockey stories on Sportcenter and talk about it more on shows like PTI. That type of exposure will decline dramatically if ESPN no longer shows the sport.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Dr Love said:
They'd have to break their lease, unless you mean well down the road when it's up, by that time they'll probably need a brand new stadium so it's probably a moot point.

When is the lease up?

Doesn't Jerry Angelo own the Suns AND the arena?

GSC2k2*

hockeytown9321 said:
USA just spent millions of dollars re-axquiring the rights to the WWE cable shows. Thye don't have room for hockey.

The WWE is 3 hours a week. Raw on Monday (the slowest day of the week for the NHL) + one of their other hourlong weekly shows, I believe (and even if it is two hourlong shows, no difference). WWE on USA is immaterial to whether they would try for the NHL. There may be other reasons (budget, other commitments, etc.), but the WWE is not a factor.

MU_Beerman

May 20, 2004
The sky isn't falling, people. just chill out. If there's a league to broadcast in the fall, ESPN will be there. There just not willing to pay 60 million for it, thats all. Can you blame them? Stop all this crying and realize that hockey has local TV deals in most of their markets (alot of them with regional fox sports networks), so the effect that this has on us the fans is minimal. ESPN realized its bargaining power over the NHL and is exercising it, thats all.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
gscarpenter2002 said:
The WWE is 3 hours a week. Raw on Monday (the slowest day of the week for the NHL) + one of their other hourlong weekly shows, I believe (and even if it is two hourlong shows, no difference). WWE on USA is immaterial to whether they would try for the NHL. There may be other reasons (budget, other commitments, etc.), but the WWE is not a factor.

RAW is 2 hours on Monday, then they have Velocity (1 hour) on Saturday Night, and then 'Experience' (a show about when the wrestlers do other projects, sign autographs, etc) on Sunday Morning for an hour, and Heat every Sunday Night from 7-8. Raw is the only show that brings in any ratings.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
Dr Love said:
Oh not this argument again. What more did you want them to do?

Talking about the sport would be nice. 98% of Sportscenter and espnnews was in-depth coverage of even the most minor topics in baseball, football, and basketball. Their hockey coverage was basically 30 seconds of goal highlights, if that.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
ceber said:
Talking about the sport would be nice. 98% of Sportscenter and espnnews was in-depth coverage of even the most minor topics in baseball, football, and basketball. Their hockey coverage was basically 30 seconds of goal highlights, if that.

Todd Bertuzzi, Marty McScorley and the girl getting killed by an Espen Knutsen slapshot led off sportscenter during their respective times. :rolleyes:

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
hockeytown9321 said:
Of course Bettman could have not re-upped the CBA(which he knew wasn't working) 6 years ago, but because of greed, he did.

Bettman renewed the CBA because the NHL had 4 expansion teams coming in over a three year period and the NHL wanted NHL players to participate in the 2002 Olympics since they were being held in the NHL's backyard

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
RangerBoy said:
Bettman renewed the CBA because the NHL had 4 expansion teams coming in over a three year period and the NHL wanted NHL players to participate in the 2002 Olympics since they were being held in the NHL's backyard

Utah is the NHL's back yard?

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
gscarpenter2002 said:

When I said room, I meant budget room. Remember, they also carry golf and US Open Tennis, both of which are expensive.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
hockeytown9321 said:
When I said room, I meant budget room. Remember, they also carry golf and US Open Tennis, both of which are expensive.

Tennis....now there is one thing that NHL HAS to be doing better then. No one in America watches tennis because all the Americans suck at it.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
RangerBoy said:

Well, the first part was right.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Will USA Network get better ratings for hockey or SVU/Law In Order?At 8:00,
Special Victims Unit is a staple on USA Network

During the playoffs,will USA Network pay for the production costs associated with putting on two playoff games at the same time?Does USA Network have the technology to split the country?Example:The Devils are playing the Flyers on USA Network.The game will be blacked out in the New York,New Jersey and Philly areas.ESPN would show another game to those blacked out viewers.Is USA able to show another game?ESPN would show those fans Boston-Montreal.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Already reeling from a canceled season, the NHL has taken another hit: ESPN has decided to not pick up a $60-million option to retain its broadcasting rights in the United States, a source familiar with the situation said Friday.

A spokesman for ESPN declined to confirm that decision, but the source said it would be announced Tuesday, the day before the option deadline. NHL officials have been informed of the decision. The league had no comment.

The decision might not signal the end of ESPN's involvement with the league. Network officials may try picking up the same rights for less money. An exclusive negotiating period exists until Wednesday.

The league still has television deals. It has agreed to a two-year deal with NBC to broadcast games when the league starts back up. It has no up-front money. The NHL will share in revenue after NBC has recouped production costs. The NHL also has contracts with the Sports Network in Canada and the Canadian Broadcasting Company.

But as for ESPN — "We just think $60 million is too much right now," a network official said.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp...y?coll=la-headlines-sports&ctrack=1&cset=true

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
go kim johnsson said:
Tennis....now there is one thing that NHL HAS to be doing better then. No one in America watches tennis because all the Americans suck at it.

And even though the ratings are bad, the median income for tennis viewers is huge, so thye are able to get huge ad money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad