ESPN Dumps NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
victoriacanucker said:
Exactly how many national sports stations are there in the States?
There's a few -- but they're all owned by ESPN. But both Fox and Comcast are talking about starting their own, so the NHL may not be as bad off as it seems at first. Heck, the only reason the NHL got onto network television in the 90's was because Fox wanted to create an actual sports division.

WC Handy*

Newsguyone said:
Good job, Bettman.

I hope this was part of your calculus.

Was he supposed to hold a gun to their head so they picked up the option?

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Newsguyone said:
Good job, Bettman.

I hope this was part of your calculus.

This isn't all Bettmans fault. The NHL has told the NHLPA that once something like this happens, the pie is going to get alot smaller.. The NHLPA doesnt seem to think so, but they'll see soon enough.

WC Handy*

McDonald19 said:
further proof that the game is in bad shape.

All it's really proof of is that ESPN feels that they can get the rights for cheaper than $60M.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Scugs said:
This isn't all Bettmans fault. The NHL has told the NHLPA that once something like this happens, the pie is going to get alot smaller.. The NHLPA doesnt seem to think so, but they'll see soon enough.

You make it sound like ESPN was paying them a lot of money.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
WC Handy said:
All it's really proof of is that ESPN feels that they can get the rights for cheaper than $60M.

If thats the case then I hope Fox Sports steps up and buys the NHL rights for 10 years and starts a national sports network.

WC Handy*

Epsilon said:

Exactly why this isn't the end of the world that many fans and especially the media will make it out to be.

It, btw, represents a cap decrease of slightly over $1M if 54% ends up being the percentage.

WC Handy*

McDonald19 said:
If thats the case then I hope Fox Sports steps up and buys the NHL rights for 10 years and starts a national sports network.

I think the best solution is to put the games on more than one cable network like the NBA does.

Nifty=HHOF

Jul 8, 2004
Depressed Yankee Land
WC Handy said:
Exactly why this isn't the end of the world that many fans and especially the media will make it out to be.

It, btw, represents a cap decrease of slightly over $1M if 54% ends up being the percentage.

It's not dollars and cents from the ESPN contract. It's about exposure and getting people interested in the game and buying merchadise

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Epsilon said:

And you make it sound like it wasn't alot.. I don't know the specifics, but I'm pretty sure that whatever the last offer from the NHL was, the next is going to drop at least 2-4 million.. These are un-educated guesses but still, you know that if the NHLPA is already declining 38 million cap, how are they going to feel about at the least, 34 million?

WC Handy*

Niftyone said:
It's not dollars and cents from the ESPN contract. It's about exposure and getting people interested in the game and buying merchadise

ESPN hasn't done jack to expose hockey or get people interested in the game. What makes you think they would start now? Hockey always has been and always will be something ESPN puts a half assed effort into.

WC Handy*

SneakerPimp82 said:
Gorgeous, so unless you have a satellite or subscribe to Comcast, you're basically f**ked as far as seeing any regular hockey. Beautiful.

The NHL has had 5 minutes since this news was released to discussion options with other networks. Perhaps we should wait and see before jumping to this conclusion.

Nifty=HHOF

Jul 8, 2004
Depressed Yankee Land
WC Handy said:
ESPN hasn't done jack to expose hockey or get people interested in the game. What makes you think they would start now? Hockey always has been and always will be something ESPN puts a half assed effort into.

They've put in on TV for starters! They've had NHl tonight. This league can't afford to not have as much exposure as possible

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Hey!!!

It's not June 1 yet!!!

This isn't exactly a bad thing.

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
WC Handy said:

Well stated, I think if multiple networks are able to pick up the NHL(nfl has fox, abc and cbs, nba has tnt and abc and nbc) and make it available in different formats, that might be the best possible solution remaining. Granted the nhl won't get as sweet a deal as the other major sports, but it's a start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad