ESPN: Draft Blazers if you can (top dev teams for the NHL)

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Some espn writer did an analysis of the top nhl feeder clubs in the last 20 years based on games played.

1. Kamploops Blazers
2. Moscow Dynamo
3. Portland Winterhawks
4. Sudbury Wolves
5. Modo Hockey
6. Ottawa 67s
7. CSKA Moscow
8. Peterborough Petes
9. Oshawa Generals
10. Seattle Thunderbirds
HMs: Windsor, Plymouth, Brampton, and London - all of whom should move up in the next few years because they have had a lot of drafted players in the 00's.

you'll need insider to read all the rest though
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog?name=nhl_draft&id=6060129

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Color me shocked that the Thunderbirds are a top ten team. That team has consistently underachieved and missed the playoffs in it's history. Even now I can only think of maybe two or three NHLers who spent time in Seattle. I'm excited for Hickey though, that kid is going to special once he solidifies his place in the NHL.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
marleau and nedved's 2000 total games probably helped them out a bit. Their total was just under 6000.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
One first round pick since the lockout - Ellerby.

I guess guys like Doan, Iginla and Regher are pretty big NHL stars, but there's not a large group of Blazers in the NHL, unless I'm mistaken.

Its a flawed list, as the teams who were good in the early 90's are gonna look a lot better as they will have players who have played a lot of games, while say a team like the Vancouver Giants who have produced a bunch of very good players lately, are not shown because all their players are still young and developing.

A better breakdown (and no don't ask me to do this) would to break it down into 5 year segments.

Zaphod

Mar 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Well, as a Rockets fan and given the sheer numbers of quality defensemen who have come out of their system lately, seeing the dread Blazers at the top of any list makes me balk.

Trot

Dec 4, 2002
Seattle, Wa
Visit site
Color me shocked that the Thunderbirds are a top ten team. That team has consistently underachieved and missed the playoffs in it's history. Even now I can only think of maybe two or three NHLers who spent time in Seattle. I'm excited for Hickey though, that kid is going to special once he solidifies his place in the NHL.

While it's a little surprising I wouldn't say I'm shocked. Russ Farwell may have his faults as the GM (though to be fair they've only missed the playoffs twice in the last 20 years) but you can't argue how many players he's had drafted by NHL teams. Unfortunately for Farwell (and Seattle fans) very few of those have been high NHL draft picks or even in the first couple of rounds. As the article points out less than 1/5 of the picks have over a season in the NHL. I'd guess the vast majority of the NHL games counted toward this list are played by Marleau, Nedved, Witt, and Stevenson.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Its a flawed list, as the teams who were good in the early 90's are gonna look a lot better as they will have players who have played a lot of games, while say a team like the Vancouver Giants who have produced a bunch of very good players lately, are not shown because all their players are still young and developing.

A better breakdown (and no don't ask me to do this) would to break it down into 5 year segments.

For recent picks, you end up just saying "so and so has more high draft picks", which is pretty flawed. I think a 10 year window may be more appropriate, but 5 year windows means that the most recent 5 years is completely useless data.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Well, as a Rockets fan and given the sheer numbers of quality defensemen who have come out of their system lately, seeing the dread Blazers at the top of any list makes me balk.

Can you guys give Ranford some help please? Thanks :D

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
I guess the list is trying to quantify quality here... But wouldn't a much more subjective list rank the number of players each team has produced that are active (home team would be where player spent most of his pre-draft time with so John Tavares would be with Oshawa for example), then look at the average games played of those players? Or simply players produced in 20 years and then do the math.

Then break it into 5 year segments, so we can see how was the best, and who is really starting to rise.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
For recent picks, you end up just saying "so and so has more high draft picks", which is pretty flawed. I think a 10 year window may be more appropriate, but 5 year windows means that the most recent 5 years is completely useless data.

Then put a disclaimer then, its hard to find a perfect system, the 5 year segments are the best I think because of what you said, the last 5 years will screw up a lot of the stats.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Surprised to not see Kelowna there.

Weber, Schenn, Myers, Benn, Gorges, Cuminsky, Souray etc...

Most of those guys have only been in the NHL for a 2-3 years. This poll benefits the clubs that produced the most NHL talent 15-20 years ago.

This is an example of why Brian Kilrea is in the Hall of Fame. You may not see a boatload of NHL stars coming out of the 67s, but Kilrea has taught kids how to be pros for a long long time. Doug Wilson knows, he was one of them.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Wonder why they left off the NCAA teams?

MI with
John Madden 838
Mike Knuble 937
Brendan Morrison 880
Mike Comrie 584
Mike Cammelari 473
Mike Komisarek 440
Marty Turco 534
Aaron Ward 839

Going for 7868. I am sure i missed a few in there too.

BU at 6616 Should be there as well.

Last edited:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Flawed metric based upon a few players skewing the totals. It would be better to look at a baseline number of minimum NHL games played and then look at quantity of those players. For example, 200 NHL games being the high water mark and seeing how many hit it. One guy playing 1,621 games like Mark Recchi has for Kamloops really makes it hard for other teams to catch up. That's about 3 solid careers worth of games.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks

MI with
John Madden 838
Mike Knuble 937
Brendan Morrison 880
Mike Comrie 584
Mike Cammelari 473
Mike Komisarek 440
Marty Turco 534
Aaron Ward 839

Keep in mind most of these players also played junior hockey so you could classify them as from their junior league as well as the NCAA....

Comrie - AJHL , WHL
Madden - COJHL
Morrison - BCHL
Komisarek - USHL, NAHL
Ward- CJAHL

Nov 26, 2010
NJ

MI with
John Madden 838
Mike Knuble 937
Brendan Morrison 880
Mike Comrie 584
Mike Cammelari 473
Mike Komisarek 440
Marty Turco 534
Aaron Ward 839

Jack Johnson

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
things shift and change through processual relations.
sticking to that list as destiny is dumb. what was this list like in the first 5 years? 10 years? what will it look like in 40 years?

not to mention, circumstances can change for anyone regarding injuries, etc.

this should only be looked at as a hindsight tool and drafting for skill is more important than "where" you come from.

the fact ESPN makes people pay for that type of article is ridiculous
have someone look over hockeyDB with a calculator for GP's and throw it on a pay site.
hot journalism.

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee

MI with
John Madden 838
Mike Knuble 937
Brendan Morrison 880
Mike Comrie 584
Mike Cammelari 473
Mike Komisarek 440
Marty Turco 534
Aaron Ward 839

NCAA isnt the popular route!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad