ESPN Article: Top 10 Centers in the NHL, as Ranked by Players and Team Officials

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
That is so not attached to reality.
Barkov is an awesome player but Matthews is slightly better. Matthews defensive game is getting better by the game. Keep in mind it took Barkov a few seasons to become as good defensively as he is now. Matthews is right on track to be as good defensively but with 50 goals.

Reactions: bpower

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014
Barkov is an awesome player but Matthews is slightly better. Matthews defensive game is getting better by the game. Keep in mind it took Barkov a few seasons to become as good defensively as he is now. Matthews is right on track to be as good defensively but with 50 goals.

Barkov is going to win a Selke this year, will see if Matthews has one in him not sure.

Reactions: Zamknij kurwa ryj

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
No sense throwing out raw numbers when scoring levels have increased over the past four seasons.

Among Centers, he was 2nd in P/60 from 17/18 to 18/19, he is 12th since.

Kinda weird to take the ranking route but OK.

Top points/60 among Centers 2017-2019

1. McDavid
2. Stamkos
3. Malkin
4. MacKinnon
5. Bergeron
6. Matthews - 3.42

Doesnt look like 2nd to me.

Top points/60 among Centers 2019-current:

1. McDavid
2. Draisaitl
3. MacKinnon
4. Matthews - 3.34

Hmm, Care to check again?

Maybe I'm making the mistake though.....not sure.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I have no idea how you can watch the NHL and reach this conclusion.

For example, when people discussed Ovechkin vs Matthews for scoring, Ovechkin received, literally almost 20 full 60 minute games of extra PP time. Do you honestly think Matthews lacked the skill set or conditioning for extra PP time? In fact, when you are talking top players, rate production is all the more relevant. Why? Well the argument you get against rate arguments is "Yeah well it isn't linear", which in and of itself is a silly argument in that no one has ever said it is 100% linear. The angle those folks are trying to use is "well if I gave X third liner that time his raw totals wouldn't play out the same". No, likely not, because you are comparing apples to oranges. In this context you are comparing apples to apples. One would think when people see the very thing that was pointed out to them play out in real life, at some point they would stop and think "Huh. Maybe they were onto something?". Give comparable elite players similar ice time and odds are it becomes relevant to raw production. Games played in and of itself is no different than P60.

Individual coaches make decisions all the time that have little to nothing to do with player ability and sometimes more with coach style. This year (and part of last year) Keefe made the shocking decision to ride his horses. His team is on pace to set the franchise record for winning percentage.

We might be arguing the same point from a different perspective.

My point is that all of these guys are (or should be) elite two-way centers. They are used in all situations. Your point about Matthews vs Ovechkin... he's a winger, different utilization, so you need to use rate data to compare, I agree.

But these guys are all apples. They will likely have quite similar utilization. If they don't then they aren't really apples and they shouldn't be in the conversation.

Fictional Example:
  • Let's say Drai was so poor defensively and so poor on the draw that he couldn't be trusted for own zone draws or played when defending the lead.
  • In contrast, Matthews was the go-to guy in such situations.
  • If their offense was actually equivalent, Matthews would have a lower P/60 than Drai, simply because he has more utilization in situations where pressing for offense is not the coaches mandate.
Now if you want to talk about specific rate data to determine who is better in a specific situation... for example PPGF/60, then I agree... it can tell you who a better PP scorer is. Same for PKGA/60. Either would give you a mark of a players' efficiency in a given situation.

but that's not what the poster was advocating.... and I was objecting to P/60 (where perhaps I should have been more specific about that).

And, this might be nit-picking, but it isn't relevant to raw production... its a rate of production. At the end of the day, if you want to talk about offense, it comes down to actual production. Points produced in all situations (which may penalize/reflect accurately oft-injured players, depending on one's perspective). Or Points/game if you want to balance for production based on guys who were injured, or to compare across shortened seasons, etc.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Draisatl really shouldn't be included, since 70% of his time is with McDavid.

That means 70% of the time, he's not playing C.

PB1300 said:
Draisatl, while deserving his recognition as one of the best, has such a huge asterisk next to his name. He has it far easier than any center in the top 10 lost, by far. Over 70% of his total TOI this season, has been with 97, and when it’s not, his metrics take a dip. I’d like to see he would be doing if he was the #1 center on a team that didn’t include the undisputed best player in the world.

@ PB1300

Where are you getting your numbers from?

From Natural Stat Trick

2021 All Situations:
Draisaitl w/ McD = 392:40
Draisaitl w/o McD = 485:07
So that's 55% of the time without McDavid

2021 Even Strength:
Draisaitl w/ McD = 215:22
Draisaitl w/o McD = 442:55
So that's 67% of the time without McDavid

That's pretty close to the inverse of what you are saying/re-quoting.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This is a terrible way to evaluate a players ability.

If you were drafting players for next season would you rather the guy who scored 80 points in 82 games or the guy who scored 75 points in 50 games played but was injured for part of the season?

You’d have to be pretty dumb to not realize the guy with 75 points was the better player.

One could argue the guy you get a full 82 games out of is more effective/important than the one that's constantly missing 32 games.

I mean, this site uses that argument often against Malkin whenever he's being compared to someone who produces less PPG than he does, but who has more raw points because Malkin misses so much time every season. Hell, it was used constantly for Matthews over Malkin last year by a lot of Leaf fans.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Funny how Leafs fans don't seem to think that when conparing Marner and Rantanen :laugh:.

Isn't it weird how Marner and MacKinnon seems to get all the assists and Matthews and Rantanen gets all the goal. Geez I wonder if there's a reason for that?
Should a Oilers fan be throwing stones when every other day there's a new McDavid vs thread....lol

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
One could argue the guy you get a full 82 games out of is more effective/important than the one that's constantly missing 32 games.

I mean, this site uses that argument often against Malkin whenever he's being compared to someone who produces less PPG than he does, but who has more raw points because Malkin misses so much time every season. Hell, it was used constantly for Matthews over Malkin last year by a lot of Leaf fans.
If someone is injured for a large chunk of the season consistently then I could see the argument but as an example:

if you’re evaluating players and it’s just after the 2011-12 season and you’re ranking Loui Eriksson ahead of Crosby because you see Eriksson has 144 points in 161 GP and Crosby only has 103 points in 63 GP and your conclusion is that Eriksson has overtaken Crosby as a better hockey player then there is something wrong with you.

It seems silly but there are some people here arguing that Eriksson would be better at playing hockey based on that information.

Another conclusion could be that Crosby was getting 1.63 P/GP over that time compared to 0.89 P/GP for Eriksson and is quite clearly the better hockey player.

Reactions: Cape

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If someone is injured for a large chunk of the season consistently then I could see the argument but as an example:

if you’re evaluating players and it’s just after the 2011-12 season and you’re ranking Loui Eriksson ahead of Crosby because you see Eriksson has 144 points in 161 GP and Crosby only has 103 points in 63 GP and your conclusion is that Eriksson has overtaken Crosby as a better hockey player then there is something wrong with you.

It seems silly but there are some people here arguing that Eriksson would be better at playing hockey based on that information.

Another conclusion could be that Crosby was getting 1.63 P/GP over that time compared to 0.89 P/GP for Eriksson and is quite clearly the better hockey player.

But that's why neither (raw nor per 60 nor points per game) are perfect. And why all sorts of context is needed for all of those, not just raw totals.

My issue is people seem to suggest points per game or points per 60 is more "accurate" or need less context than raw totals. That's simply not true.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Barkov is going to win a Selke this year, will see if Matthews has one in him not sure.
Maybe but again that's on a voting system. Similarly to this poll. Except this is amongst peers and executives and the selky is voted on by the professional hockey writers association. So you'll accept the votes from talking heads that you probably complain about but have a hard time accepting these results?

Reactions: FLpanthers16

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
These Barkov takes are hilarious. They would have been applicable last season when IMO he wasn’t very good (for him) and was relying on past reputation for his god-like defensive reputation. It was annoying and I was one of those shouting “ummm, have you watched Barkov play this year? He has definitely not been a Selke-worthy defensive presence...stop living off reputation please.”

But this year? Completely different story. He’s absolutely been a better defensive center than Matthews and is arguably a more influential presence on the ice with insane expected goals for and possession metrics that really only McDavid and MacKinnon can compete with.

Matthews is a more dangerous scoring center for sure and was definitely better last year so I am not definitively saying everyone has to think Barkov>Matthews. But it’s certainly an argument and the absolute best statistic that back up just how good Barkov has been this year (especially compared to last year): 0.565 and 0.700. That’s the Panthers win% last year compared to this year and if you don’t think Barkov is the absolute, unquestionable, gigantic factor in why this is (and why guys like Carter Verhaeghe look like all-stars most nights), then I don’t know what to tell you or what exactly you expect a top 5 center in the NHL to do.

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014
Maybe but again that's on a voting system. Similarly to this poll. Except this is amongst peers and executives and the selky is voted on by the professional hockey writers association. So you'll accept the votes from talking heads that you probably complain about but have a hard time accepting these results?

Ohh i agree said it before, its a popularity contest and based on reputation, if you play for Boston or Florida the Boston guy will win it more times then not and its a shame.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Kinda weird to take the ranking route but OK.

Top points/60 among Centers 2017-2019

1. McDavid
2. Stamkos
3. Malkin
4. MacKinnon
5. Bergeron
6. Matthews - 3.42

Doesnt look like 2nd to me.

Top points/60 among Centers 2019-current:

1. McDavid
2. Draisaitl
3. MacKinnon
4. Matthews - 3.34

Hmm, Care to check again?

Maybe I'm making the mistake though.....not sure.

The numbers are for 2017/18 to 2018/19 vs. 2019/20 to 2020/21. Matthews TOI increased 2 1/2 minutes between the 18/19 season and the 19/20 season.

Matthews was 2nd in P/60 and 40th in TOI

With the increase in TOI, he dropped to 11th in P/60 and 5th in TOI.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
But that's why neither (raw nor per 60 nor points per game) are perfect. And why all sorts of context is needed for all of those, not just raw totals.

My issue is people seem to suggest points per game or points per 60 is more "accurate" or need less context than raw totals. That's simply not true.
I agree, context is key. I am not a fan of P/60 but P/GP is a great offensive indicator over a large sample size.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
The numbers are for 2017/18 to 2018/19 vs. 2019/20 to 2020/21. Matthews TOI increased 2 1/2 minutes between the 18/19 season and the 19/20 season.

Oh, I see the issue.

You are going strictly 5v5, leaving out all other strengths including PP minutes.

You get a much clearer view of the changes if you sort by Nov.20th, 2019 (start of coaching change and his increase in icetime) as well as looking at all situations data.

His .38 5v5 points/60 drop off between the two periods is entirely due to a drop in assists which may be caused by not having a sniper like Nylander on his wing and his Goals/60 actually slightly increased. (Some Leafs fans have called at points to split Marner off to reunite with Tavares and they may have a point there looking at the numbers)

Overall though, pretty steady production at /60 paces and his increased icetime certainly makes his numbers look better, thats for sure.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
He very well could. But just because Barkov is a top defensive center doesnt mean Matthews isnt good in that regard either. Compare most centers' defence to Barkov and it wont look as good.

Also you say Barkov will win the Selke, but Matthews has a very good chance at the Rocket. So i could flip around what you said about Matthews' Selke chances about Barkov's Rocket chances

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

One more quick note,
because you went with 5v5 here, it also clusters things together a fair amount.

Lieterally .13 points/60 between 11th and 5th on the list. Matthews being injured on two separate occasions and going through a points drought during them as good a reason as any.

Really do need larger sample sizes for these types of things I guess. Lets see how it plays out.

As it stands, for total points/60 from 2017-coaching change: 3.42
How do the numbers look?

GP: 91
Goals 49 (1.78/60)
Points 100 (3.42/60)

Coaching change-Current: 3.29

GP: 83
Goals: 60 (1.99/60)

Oh, and if you are wondering where the extra goals are coming from, averaging a minute more a game on the PP under Keefe might do that.

Hey, a coach playing Matthews the most TOI on the PP instead of 4th most equals more goals on the PP. WTH was Babcock thinking?

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014
He very well could. But just because Barkov is a top defensive center doesnt mean Matthews isnt good in that regard either. Compare most centers' defence to Barkov and it wont look as good.

Also you say Barkov will win the Selke, but Matthews has a very good chance at the Rocket. So i could flip around what you said about Matthews' Selke chances about Barkov's Rocket chances

now you making it sound like i said Matthews is a bad player, was a response to the defensive side of things.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
How do the numbers look?

GP: 91
Goals 49 (1.78/60)
Points 100 (3.42/60)

Coaching change-Current: 3.29

GP: 83
Goals: 60 (1.99/60)

Your numbers show that Matthews is producing less points per 60 under Keefe getting more ice time than he did previously under Babcock, no? From 3.42 per 60 down to 3.29 per 60?

So which stat is a more accurate reflection of Matthews? The per60 one that suggests he's gotten less productive, or the raw totals which shows he's gone from outside the top 10 to inside the top 5?

If anything, the stats are an argument in favor of raw totals over per60 totals telling the "real" story of Matthews.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

Barkov came into the league known for his defensive game. He didn’t become good, he was always good, and now he’s arguably the best. He always drives his lines production. Whoever plays with him, produces. His stats and advanced metrics are better, he plays with lesser linemates, and point production is on par, while taking more defensive zone starts, and playing on the PK. Matthews is a hell of a goal scorer, arguably the best in the game, but that is where the advantage ends. If the roles were reversed, this wouldn’t even be discussed.

roman star

ready to march
Feb 17, 2019
you know somebodys got an ego problem when theyre judging their opinion of the top 10 centers better than nhl players opinion , lmfao . this kingdom has a HUGE problem with low iq'ed egomaniac know it alls

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad