Confirmed with Link: ESPN 30 for 30: I’m Just Here For The Riot

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I love it, ..."managed to procure some vodka..., ...city needed to do a better job...". Right, blame the city...
If I remember correctly, it wasn't the Police, they called for more officers, but the Mayor declined to send them. That is by memory though so I could be wrong.

If you managed to read the rest of my post, you'll notice I don't need to look into the mirror on this one. I have a lot of looking to do, but that's not one of them. They failed to check my bag after I prompted them to do so. You're cheeky one-liner is a reach. The city failed, and I don't put any blame on the police at all. @racerjoe is correct. It was a civic failure. They didn't bring enough police and the whole operation was half-baked. People came down there to raise hell, and did.

Reactions: racerjoe

Paradise Circus

May 27, 2010
YVR
feels like just yesterday - I watched at my buddies place in Gastown....I remember having a smoke (i dont and didn't smoke back then either but...well you know) on his patio and looking left....and seeing black smoke coming from what, I would learn later, was georgia St where they were burning cars.

walked to broadway and macdonald to the bar near there, im pretty sure all the bridges were shut down? will never forget that day.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I came over from the island to watch the game with friends and hopefully celebrate a win. The bus from Horseshoe Bay was absolutely packed with drunks. There was open liquor everywhere, people lit cigars and blunts, threats were uttered. Their was already violence in the air and the driver didn't say a word. Someone threatened me as I got off the bus at Granville. Outside on the street, maybe two hours before puck drop, people were already falling down, combative drunk, and the atmosphere was just incredibly spooky. It was bright out, not crowded yet on Granville, people were sort of reeling around in the glare and it was strangely silent. Nothing about it reminded you of hockey, not even the jerseys people were wearing, which by then felt more like uniforms.

I'm convinced to this day there would have been violence no matter the outcome of the game.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
The GDT on game 7 here was the darkest days I’ve seen since I joined.

I was angry, pissed offf, grieving, accepting the fact we were going to lose.

To this day, I will not watch game 6 and game 7 highlights. Not even the national anthems…

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
The GDT on game 7 here was the darkest days I’ve seen since I joined.

I was angry, pissed offf, grieving, accepting the fact we were going to lose.

To this day, I will not watch game 6 and game 7 highlights. Not even the national anthems…
I think I watched the game 7 highlights once a few years ago, and didn't finish them.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I think I watched the game 7 highlights once a few years ago, and didn't finish them.

I can’t watch it, my YouTube algorithm drops it on my feed once I awhile but I remove it.

I can’t, I just can’t watch one second of it. There are scars you can’t seem to forget..that’s one of em.

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
A select group of losers took the transit downtown with the express purpose of starting a riot should the Canucks lose, which of course, they did.

Loaded up their backpacks with tools and weapons to commit mischief.

It was these losers that used the negative emotions of distraught Canucks fans--many of whom were drunk--as fuel to join them.

Mob mentality. It's a scary thing.

• Haha
Reactions: Nogatco Rd

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
I remember watching game 7 at the bar with family, and I even said if they lose, it wouldn't shock me if there is another riot like back in 94. They didn't think that would happen, but I kept saying it's like deja vu from 94, you get as close as you possibly can to win a cup and you lose it sucks, but so many remember what happened in 94 lose in game 7 riot, what's stopping them from doing it again....

Then at the end of the game if memory serves me correct the game wasn't even over and the rioting was already slowly starting. I just remember the tv at the bar showing the rioting going on and my mother saying look their rioting, and I said I told you so.

What surprised/shocked me was that if the same outcome did happen like in 94, many people really didn't think it was possible that another riot could or would happen.

Last edited:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I remember watching game 7 at the bar with family, and I even said if they lose, it wouldn't shock me if there is another riot like back in 94. They didn't think that would happen, but I kept saying it's like deja vu from 94, you get as close as you possibly can to win a cup and you lose it sucks, but so many remember what happened in 94 lose in game 7 riot, what's stopping them from doing it again....

Then at the end of the game if memory serves me correct the game wasn't even over and the rioting was already slowly starting. I just remember the tv at the bar showing the rioting going on and my mother saying look their rioting, and I said I told you so.

What surprised/shocked me was that if the same outcome did happen like in 94, many people really didn't think it was possible that another riot could or would happen.
*some* people know when to take advantage of a situation. And in this day & age, word gets around fast. Look no further than a giveaway promotion the Canucks/Rogers had a number of years ago (giving away free hot dogs outside). Less than a hour later, "transients" were all over in front looking to get maybe their only meal of the day.

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
*some* people know when to take advantage of a situation. And in this day & age, word gets around fast. Look no further than a giveaway promotion the Canucks/Rogers had a number of years ago (giving away free hot dogs outside). Less than a hour later, "transients" were all over in front looking to get maybe their only meal of the day.

Well they need food and it's free so why not, let them eat. The comparison imo is completely different, rioting is violence, but the point was it didn't need a rocket scientist to say hey maybe they might riot like they did the last time they were in a game 7 and lost, like hmm maybe there's a possibility.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Brock Anton. Since I already shared with Reddit, this is my take on the riot:

I was also downtown, I was settled up next to the CBC building...got there very early, was the only time my mum ever encouraged me skipping school. Security was fairly lax, city needed to do a better job.

For example, I had just turned 18 and I was able to procure some vodka that I brought in a clear plastic bottle that I stuffed inside my lawn chair bag. Some of my friends started drinking on the Skytrain, but I wanted to watch the game sober and drink after (had we won). I get to the security checkpoint, they check my backpack "all good" they wave me in, I being the naive and trying my best to be morally upstanding youngen, I say "you want to check my lawn chair bag?" they say no. I'm in.

I had actually talked to my mum in the car and we both agreed there would be a riot had they lost. Looking back, I can't believe she let me go. She was strict, but my dad worked downtown so my entire family went to his building to watch the game. I knew shit was gonna hit the fan during the 2nd intermission, guys were climbing on top of the porta-potties and a lady got punched and was being taken away by police to be looked after. I was pretty down on the experience, I cried a little bit and wanted to go home but my friends insisted on watching the Cup be raised. That got shutdown when fans started hurling bottles at the screen and they rolled them up.

Me and 2 other of my buddies wanted nothing to do with downtown anymore. But some of our group wanted to stay for the riot, one wanted to flip some Smartcars but I told him we don't do that. Finally we coaxed them to leave on the Skytrain, my family was stranded for awhile downtown. Didn't get home until much later.

That has to be up there with one of the worst, most memorable days I ever had. It was embarrassing watching people act like angry monkeys over a hockey game. Total disgrace. It was even more enraging to watch people my age who got prosecuted plead "I'm just a kid". I wasn't the smartest kid, quite average in fact, some of my friends wanting to stay got much better grades than I did. They should just know better and try and rise above the rest as citizens, I have no sympathy for them (those prosecuted) to this day.
I was a rookie mod - maybe on the job two weeks tops. I was hired before the finals started. I was alone here holding down the fort. All the other mods were at the game or watching it somewhere. To say I was busy is an understatement.

On the old forum software there was a mod forum where the reports people filed would be addressed by a mod as to what action was taken. There was a period of a couple hours where my name was on just about every report, and that's not just reports from the Canucks forum. It was for all teams and all forums on HF. All the reports went to the same place. It would be like looking at our home page here and seeing my name as the thread starter for every thread on the home page.

My worst memory as a Canucks fan was post game 7.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zombotron

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I remember getting the f*** out of dodge from Downtown when Bergeron scored. The crowd started getting restless and the assholes of the hour were already doing stupid shit like climbing on top of anything they could put their feet on. I made it to the train while I still could.

Halfway through my trip home my brother, who stuck around the area, started sending pics of burning cars and smashed windows. He might as well have been the cameraman in those WorldStar fight vídeos. Ma and pa grilled him when he finally got home lol

That was me too.
My buddy wanted to stay when people started to climb and rock traffic lights...
And there was a fist fight between 2 dudes...
All while the cops stood by and watched...
But I pulled him out of there...
And got on the train.
We ended up on Broadway to meet another friend...
And while we were at a sushi restaurant...
We saw the riots on TV...
And by the time we left the restaurant...
We could see visible smoke out of the Downtown area.

Then we got on a train to go back home...
And two people started to make out.
One of them got into an argument with another person...
And the lady he made out with bounced...
And got on with another guy.
It turned out they just met that day...
And he was disappointed a sure thing got ruined.
:laugh:

Yeah...
It was an interesting day.

• Haha
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
2011 was peak fandom for me as a Canucks fan.

God the emotions…I had a ritual during the finals.
Have sex with my then girlfriend on game day LMAO

Ahh...
The beauty of youth.

You got 15 wins out of it too.
That is not bad.
;)

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
30 for 30 is legit. They do great documentaries. Terrible subject matter that still makes me sad.

Reactions: Josepho

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad