Confirmed with Link: ESPN 30 for 30: I’m Just Here For The Riot

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

Gonna make a thread on this, it looks like there gonna talk about some of people who were involved and the consequences that followed by their actions.

Also takes a look at sporting events in general and the backlash of the fallout.

It’s from the person who produced ‘Finding Big Country’, so this can be really good..or really open wounds by diehards who suffered the highs and lows of the 2011 Finals.

Who’s ready for the trauma again? Lol

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
we're never getting a last dance like series around this franchise winning, so might as well embrace this identity

this might even inspire the next generation to start a riot outside aquilini properties every time we lose a game in march. fingers crossed.
So you are anti tank?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Wasn't there some girl that got caught looting was fired from her BMW dealership job?

There was a few people that got fired (and arrested and charged) because they bragged on Facebook about their actions ij the riot. Some guy named Brock comes to mind as the most prolifically reported - he bragged in great detail about a number of crimes he committed that night.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
There was a few people that got fired (and arrested and charged) because they bragged on Facebook about their actions ij the riot. Some guy named Brock comes to mind as the most prolifically reported - he bragged in great detail about a number of crimes he committed that night.

Brock Anton. Since I already shared with Reddit, this is my take on the riot:

I was also downtown, I was settled up next to the CBC building...got there very early, was the only time my mum ever encouraged me skipping school. Security was fairly lax, city needed to do a better job.

For example, I had just turned 18 and I was able to procure some vodka that I brought in a clear plastic bottle that I stuffed inside my lawn chair bag. Some of my friends started drinking on the Skytrain, but I wanted to watch the game sober and drink after (had we won). I get to the security checkpoint, they check my backpack "all good" they wave me in, I being the naive and trying my best to be morally upstanding youngen, I say "you want to check my lawn chair bag?" they say no. I'm in.

I had actually talked to my mum in the car and we both agreed there would be a riot had they lost. Looking back, I can't believe she let me go. She was strict, but my dad worked downtown so my entire family went to his building to watch the game. I knew shit was gonna hit the fan during the 2nd intermission, guys were climbing on top of the porta-potties and a lady got punched and was being taken away by police to be looked after. I was pretty down on the experience, I cried a little bit and wanted to go home but my friends insisted on watching the Cup be raised. That got shutdown when fans started hurling bottles at the screen and they rolled them up.

Me and 2 other of my buddies wanted nothing to do with downtown anymore. But some of our group wanted to stay for the riot, one wanted to flip some Smartcars but I told him we don't do that. Finally we coaxed them to leave on the Skytrain, my family was stranded for awhile downtown. Didn't get home until much later.

That has to be up there with one of the worst, most memorable days I ever had. It was embarrassing watching people act like angry monkeys over a hockey game. Total disgrace. It was even more enraging to watch people my age who got prosecuted plead "I'm just a kid". I wasn't the smartest kid, quite average in fact, some of my friends wanting to stay got much better grades than I did. They should just know better and try and rise above the rest as citizens, I have no sympathy for them (those prosecuted) to this day.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
The day of game 7:

Spent the day with my ex-girlfriend, she was leaving and going back home that day. Dropped her off at the airport, not knowing that the next few months would be traumatic for myself. When I went home, turned on the game and we were already down 1-0.

Then it was 2-0, I wrote in the GDT that the city was gonna riot and I was super angry. I wrote to the tune of ‘f*** everything, time to riot!!!’ And I shut off my laptop and did my laundry.

Ex-gf told me Bruins scored 3-0, I was at the point of crying. Once my laundry was done, my friend told me to go to his place to watch the aftermath of destruction.

My ex-gf texted me that night stating she was already home…and we had an argument that night.

I drank my ass off that night, no condition to go home. Slept at my buddies place, hungover as f*** the next day and had to work.

What a f***ing day.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Why ESPN would bother is beyond me........but having to re-live one of the darkest days in Vancouver history is too good for them to pass up I guess.

The 'apologists' will be out in full force, like Fox News trying to 'white-wash' the Jan. 6 insurrection in Washington, D.C. "It really wasn't as 'bad' as the 'left-wing' pinko media is saying it was."

At least, unlike the Capital insurrection, nobody died during the Stanley Cup riots. But the images will last forever. And this documentary will be painful for many.....but I guess that's as it should be.

It'll help everyone vow that it will never happen again in Vancouver.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Brock Anton. I remember he was wearing hilarious, big white Oakley sunglasses in the photos.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
As I recall, the Canucks in their wisdom set up a massive-screen TV in the parking lot of Rogers Arena, so fans outside could feel 'the atmosphere' of Game 7.

The crowds got bigger; more drunk and unruly; and then what little police presence their was completely lost control of the situation.

If the Canucks ever make the playoffs again, I bet they don't ever repeat that mistake.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
As I recall, the Canucks in their wisdom set up a massive-screen TV in the parking lot of Rogers Arena, so fans outside could feel 'the atmosphere' of Game 7.

The crowds got bigger; more drunk and unruly; and then what little police presence their was completely lost control of the situation.

If the Canucks ever make the playoffs again, I bet they don't ever repeat that mistake.

Outside viewing parties are pretty common across Canada.

The free flowing booze, understaffed police presence, shutting down the sky trains effectively trapping people looking to get out of dodge in the downtown core…I think a lot of other places probably I learned and corrected a fair amount from Vancouver’s mistakes.

Reactions: canucksfan

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

The free flowing booze, understaffed police presence, shutting down the sky trains effectively trapping people looking to get out of dodge in the downtown core…I think a lot of other places probably I learned and corrected a fair amount from Vancouver’s mistakes.

2011 was peak fandom for me as a Canucks fan.

God the emotions…I had a ritual during the finals.
Have sex with my then girlfriend on game day LMAO

• Haha
Reactions: LemonSauceD

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

80% of the outdoor crowd was where I was at CBC Plaza. It was huge. I have no idea how we got out. I went downtown for game 2, game 5 I was downtown for my grad dinner/dance, game 1 I actually got to go to as a grad present.

Looking back, I probably would trade the positive experiences of those post-games for having the riot. The sense of community was swelling and everyone was chaotically happy. It was an anarchist utopia. Having said that, I don't think the city should do something like that again. It only happened because of the 2010 Olympic celebrations and how well that went off. The city tried to implicitly pawn off the actions to the indigenous protestors who had been a fixture in 2010, which is patently untrue. The rioters were fairly representative of the cultural breakdown of Vancouver, which is to say diverse. Real fans were rioting, too. You can't really say it happened for one specific reason other than I don't think it would have been that large had the streets not been shut down and fans encouraged. Every single rioter made their own choice between order and chaos, and while I welcome chaos when it is needed, it was frivolously spent over a f***ing hockey game.

Was 18 year old me upset? Yep. And I still am, a bit. As a citizen today, I think there are very real problems that need to addressed that could bottle some of that energy. As a Canucks fan back then, I saw it as a perversion of the fandom. We as a fandom will never live that down, and I don't think we should.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
we're never getting a last dance like series around this franchise winning, so might as well embrace this identity

this might even inspire the next generation to start a riot outside aquilini properties every time we lose a game in march. fingers crossed.
We never won anything. It is and will always be about winning the cup. No one cares or remembers got the most pts in a season or won their division or conference. It is always about the cup

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Was Brock Anton the dildo who was trying to fight the Vancouver fire department guys? What an asshole.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I remember getting the f*** out of dodge from Downtown when Bergeron scored. The crowd started getting restless and the assholes of the hour were already doing stupid shit like climbing on top of anything they could put their feet on. I made it to the train while I still could.

Halfway through my trip home my brother, who stuck around the area, started sending pics of burning cars and smashed windows. He might as well have been the cameraman in those WorldStar fight vídeos. Ma and pa grilled him when he finally got home lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad