Confirmed with Link: Esa Lindell six-year contract extension with an AAV of $5.8M

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Slightly more than i hoped but its under 6 . Would've probably taken 8 years to get to the range i would've wanted . He's now the highest paid defenseman on the Stars. Not that is a suprise. With Methot gone and Klingberg on a really cheap deal that was allways going to happen.

Winland

Mar 5, 2016
Ooof.. I'd be terrified about this contract! 3.5 to 4.5 mil would've been correct IMO.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Ooof.. I'd be terrified about this contract! 3.5 to 4.5 mil would've been correct IMO.

Ben Lovejoy was paid almost that amount . That was never ever going to happen. The cap is now much higher than it was years ago. The contract is fine.

Marc Methot was paid 4.9 million per for these last two season. Just let that sink in. Or the Wings pay Denny DeKeyser 5 million a season.

It's alot but thats market value.

Last edited:

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
LOL... unless your joking, what top pairing Dman is going to sign for 3.5-4.5M??
It's crazy talk. No top pair guy signing his third contract is taking that kind of salary. Just look at other contracts paid out in recent seasons.

This was also a contract I'd rather see them overpay a bit just to get it done before the draft trade frenzy, before the buyout window, and before July 1. Get the number set in stone to give you an idea of what you're working with for the rest of the offseason. You know you need Lindell back, and now you can move on to the more uncertain areas of the roster.

Reactions: serp

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014

You do realize he is giving up 4 UFA years in this deal at what is a reasonable cap-hit? Terrified? That's the prerogative of those whom know less. I was anticipating $5.5 over a 7 year term, and Esa's agent negotiated a deal for his client that would have him well-poised for one big final contract.

Good to get this done and out of the way.

Reactions: serp

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
It’s an alright contract. Esa proved his worth to the team down the stretch and in the playoffs and forced Jim Nill to pay up.

Winland

Mar 5, 2016
LOL... unless your joking, what top pairing Dman is going to sign for 3.5-4.5M??

I'm not kidding. I have followed Esa's career from the point he was skin and bones. I think he is overrated and should be 2nd pairing def. He is like Polak, only a bit better. He's not that skilled nor is he that fast. He's not the biggest guy and by all means not the meanest either. And I think, he has already reached his potential. Therefore I think this contract is a bust.

And all of you can compare this contract to DeKeyser's or whatever, but those contracts are expensive.. Just like this is.

Peace. :)

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I'm not kidding. I have followed Esa's career from the point he was skin and bones. I think he is overrated and should be 2nd pairing def. He is like Polak, only a bit better. He's not that skilled nor is he that fast. He's not the biggest guy and by all means not the meanest either. And I think, he has already reached his potential. Therefore I think this contract is a bust.

And all of you can compare this contract to DeKeyser's or whatever, but those contracts are expensive.. Just like this is.

Peace. :)

You might want to look into getting some glasses...

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Alright then. Show me the contract that this is comparable to.

I must not be the only one thinking this is an expensive contract. Or they're hiding in the shadows :laugh:

How about you first show me a top pairing guy getting paid 3.5

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Alright then. Show me the contract that this is comparable to.

I must not be the only one thinking this is an expensive contract. Or they're hiding in the shadows :laugh:
This is the first extension of the offseason. The comparables will roll in over the next couple of months. Prepare to be shocked at how much inferior players get paid.

Winland

Mar 5, 2016
How about you first show me a top pairing guy getting paid 3.5

I admit 3.5 was too low. But 4.5 is what I would've expected. Like Parayko gets 5.5 and Skjei 5.2.. But I see much more potential on those guys.

I'm not trying to spread hate. I love the Stars.

Edit. Brett Pesce is better of the two, in my opinion. Yet Pesce gets 4 mil. Also Esa is paid same as Matt Dumba. I know different role but still. Though their contracts were done a year ago (?) so understandably the salaries have gone up a bit.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad