Confirmed with Link: Esa Lindell six-year contract extension with an AAV of $5.8M

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Yep. Provorov, McAvoy, Werenski, and Trouba will all get around the same if not more. The first three are coming off their ELC which means their hit might be lower (eating more RFA years).

Myers and Gardener will both get 6M and I’d way rather have Lindell than either of them.

Nate Schmidt and Shae Theodore are both comparable cap hits, comparable players.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I admit 3.5 was too low. But 4.5 is what I would've expected. Like Parayko gets 5.5 and Skjei 5.2.. But I see much more potential on those guys.

I'm not trying to spread hate. I love the Stars.

Fair enough I’m not trying to rag on you either, but you have to pay up for good players. I was hoping for something around 5.500 but with the cap raising players want a larger salary.

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
People's reaction to this on social media tells me everything I need to know about their hockey knowledge.

Unbelievable how clueless some people are and yet think they're right.

Reactions: serp

serp

Jan 17, 2016
People's reaction to this on social media tells me everything I need to know about their hockey knowledge.

Unbelievable how clueless some people are and yet think they're right.

I mean social media is mostly garbage in general doesn't matter the topic so nothing new .

Reactions: Henderson33

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I was hoping for 5.5 or less , but damn if that isn't a good contract

Last edited:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Little higher AAV than I expected but I'm just glad to see the deal get done and he deserves that contract for sure. 6 years is perfect too.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
Not bad. Glad he is signed. Was hoping it was closer to 5 but I knew it would be over 5. Still need an impact player. A top 6 forward who can score would be nice.

Blindsummit

Jun 3, 2017
Alberta
I'm happy with this contract, I'm happy he has signed. I think he deserves it and we've got a bloody good player signed up for the prime of his career. Good job Stars!

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Wow, a lot of people on the main board are giving Stars shit for this. Under 6mil for 6yrs., I’ll take it.

Thank you Leafs for grabbing Tavares; how’s your defense look?

An expensive Karlsson for just one season would’ve been exciting but then what?

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I’d say this contract is pretty good . There’s no way he was signing for less than that .

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Sorry about the necro post, but lurking around I noticed in the Klingberg discussion that (this) Lindell's extension doesn't seem be considered a good one any more.

I haven't followed Stars that closely. Has Lindell's play regressed since the signing, or is it more a case of overall cap hell where this contract is one of the culprits, or what is it?

Any recent light you can shed on this would be helpful.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Sorry about the necro post, but lurking around I noticed in the Klingberg discussion that (this) Lindell's extension doesn't seem be considered a good one any more.

I haven't followed Stars that closely. Has Lindell's play regressed since the signing, or is it more a case of overall cap hell where this contract is one of the culprits, or what is it?

Any recent light you can shed on this would be helpful.
It's a fine contract when you expect the cap to grow. It didn't and is too much for what he brings

Reactions: Stubu

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Lindell has been fine. I don't think you can say it's a bad deal in terms of comparing to other UFA contracts. I think the angst or concern you might have sensed about Dallas' cap situation, and if they were going to retain Klingberg, moving Lindell over the summer before his NMC kicked in could have helped, but now that it makes him quite difficult to move, he adds to the number of larger contracts that hurt the odds of them signing Klingberg. Suter's deal while less also adds to the difficulty of making a deal along with the other massive forward contracts. It's just difficult to imagine how a contract fits into the team.

Lindell has been the team's best PKer for a bit now, and while he's not perfect, and can give you quality minutes. There are times they were asking him to play basically 2 minutes of every PK, and that also naturally coincided with this play slipping at times. Hopefully, Sekera and Hakanpaa can provide solid minutes so they don't have to overburden everyone.

Basically, he's not purely a defensive defender, and he can flash some of the offense he displayed in Liiga, but he's also not a true top pairing all-around guy. He's good at complimenting a high-end defender and can handle a ton of minutes.

I expect he even makes the Finnish Olympic team as well, maybe even as Heiskanen's partner if that experiment goes well.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Personally I think Jon Klingberg covers up for a lot of Lindell's shortcomings, and that he's a fairly typical #4D defense first D. Only problem being that he's not particularly elite at shutting guys down, has zero good transition game to speak of, and you can't really rely on him for much in the offensive zone either. I also don't think Klingberg really needs him, in fact, I think he's an anchor because opposing players know Klingberg will be doing the breakout 95% of the time and can adjust to that. That all being said, he's still got some value, although I think it's closer to something like what Larsson got to play for the Kraken. It's not a perfect analogy (Lindell is more well-rounded), but I think that's the ceiling of value for a guy like Lindell. He's a complementary player being paid like someone who drives play well on his own.

The main thing about Lindell that drives me mad, though, is I think he's overrated around a lot of the league with executives. There was an article mentioning his value on the Athletic a long while back that I'm too lazy to dig up with quotes from anonymous executives valuing him pretty well. It was in one of their hypothetical 'who says no' trade articles. I think he's one of the easiest sell candidates on the entire team because he can be replaced with a cheaper player, AND, I think we would get a premium return for him on top of it. It's a wasted opportunity not to have traded him before the NTC kicked in, and the Stars cap situation has gotten really bad and could use the wiggle room, even if it's only $2-$3M.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Personally I think Jon Klingberg covers up for a lot of Lindell's shortcomings, and that he's a fairly typical #4D defense first D. Only problem being that he's not particularly elite at shutting guys down, has zero good transition game to speak of, and you can't really rely on him for much in the offensive zone either. I also don't think Klingberg really needs him, in fact, I think he's an anchor because opposing players know Klingberg will be doing the breakout 95% of the time and can adjust to that. That all being said, he's still got some value, although I think it's closer to something like what Larsson got to play for the Kraken. It's not a perfect analogy (Lindell is more well-rounded), but I think that's the ceiling of value for a guy like Lindell. He's a complementary player being paid like someone who drives play well on his own.

The main thing about Lindell that drives me mad, though, is I think he's overrated around a lot of the league with executives. There was an article mentioning his value on the Athletic a long while back that I'm too lazy to dig up with quotes from anonymous executives valuing him pretty well. It was in one of their hypothetical 'who says no' trade articles. I think he's one of the easiest sell candidates on the entire team because he can be replaced with a cheaper player, AND, I think we would get a premium return for him on top of it. It's a wasted opportunity not to have traded him before the NTC kicked in, and the Stars cap situation has gotten really bad and could use the wiggle room, even if it's only $2-$3M.
IMO every top 4 d pairing needs a guy who is good enough to play top minutes and be solid all game but not so good that he’s paid top dman dollars . You don’t want both your top dman on the same pair . You need complimentary guys like Lindell who can play simple minutes with your top dmen and just simply do there job for 20 minutes + a night . Stars have built a very solid top 4 d with Lindell and suter as peices for klingberg and miro .Probably best top 4 in the league right now .

Reactions: LT and Stubu

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Sometimes they do need that, yes, but it's not worth $5.8M a year. Someone mentioned Pesce in this thread, he makes about $4M a year and he's better than Lindell is in the same role.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Sometimes they do need that, yes, but it's not worth $5.8M a year. Someone mentioned Pesce in this thread, he makes about $4M a year and he's better than Lindell is in the same role.
5.8 is a little high for sure but it’s got good term for his age . He will be eating minutes til that contract is up no problem and by the last year it’s hopefully won’t seem as pricey .

Reactions: Stubu and Sports2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad