Post-Game Talk (GBU): Erod is money. Sabs down wings

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Sorry everyone - I cannot get past Tage Thompson. I didn't hate the trade, I didn't know anything about him when he was acquired...and my opinion is based solely on watching every game this season. I cannot stand this player. My soul and body are out of alignment when he's in the lineup. I cannot reconcile this. I need something to help me understand his greatness. My soul is not aligned to understand it. Perhaps I should be affixed to something, a cross perhaps, that, though it would kill my physical body, would align my soul to the music of the spheres, and finally I could understand the point of Tage Thompson, as Plato surmised, as though this was the point of human existence. Your stats cannot explain the musica universalis, lol

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Cool, man, thanks for the input. Do you have anything substantive to add, or do you just want to talk about my opinions about the game?
There's plenty of substance in critiquing a position a different poster takes. That makes up a large chunk of the conversation that happens here.

I'll flesh out the meat of my post more - a single game's corsi count tells you very little about how a game goes, especially if you don't give a distribution for said corsi events. If you look at that, you'll see that we actually had the corsi lead by almost 10 well into the third, and it turned over when Detroit had the momentum into the penalty into the 2 minutes of having their goalie pulled. That's completely standard for how teams with a lead play, which is why score-adjusted corsi is a thing in the first place.

It does even less when you take into account a single player's corsi in a single agme. For example, just off the top of my head, I would have to imagine that Tage's shot attempt differential has far more to do with Sobotka being on his line, and the subsequent usage that means the line gets #becausePhil, than the quality of game Tage had. The worst thing about Tage's performance today (he had a couple nice rushes and shots) was a penalty he took, though it was a pretty weak call.

It takes so long for these stats to separate from things like plain old goal differential (+/-) and even then it can be argued how meaningful the separation is, given how complex hockey is, that's all I'm getting at.

The Sabres played a pretty damn good game today against a pretty bad team, just like they should have.

Reactions: Niagaradad

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Please go ahead and make an argument in favor of Thompson based on his larger sample size results. Look at the whole season. Use all the data. Enlighten the discourse.
I don't really like Tage Thompson as a hockey player. I'm just saying "33% corsi today" isn't an argument that he's bad anymore than the plenty of games he's been over 50% are that he's good.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Sorry everyone - I cannot get past Tage Thompson. I didn't hate the trade, I didn't know anything about him when he was acquired...and my opinion is based solely on watching every game this season. I cannot stand this player. My soul and body are out of alignment when he's in the lineup. I cannot reconcile this. I need something to help me understand his greatness. My soul is not aligned to understand it. Perhaps I should be affixed to something, a cross perhaps, that, though it would kill my physical body, would align my soul to the music of the spheres, and finally I could understand the point of Tage Thompson, as Plato surmised, as though this was the point of human existence. Your stats cannot explain the musica universalis, lol

A dangle followed by a hard snap shot gets many moist.

His negatives far outweigh his chances.

He's soft for his size.

He's slow unless he can wind up for 30 feet.

Dumb.

I don't think any of those things are going to improve as he gets older.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

..or he just needs AHL time. Like his potential, not his fault he's been forced above his current level.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
I don't really like Tage Thompson as a hockey player. I'm just saying "33% corsi today" isn't an argument that he's bad anymore than the plenty of games he's been over 50% are that he's good.

You can look at stats for the whole season so far and base a conclusion on that. If you want to.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
There's plenty of substance in critiquing a position a different poster takes. That makes up a large chunk of the conversation that happens here.

I'll flesh out the meat of my post more - a single game's corsi count tells you very little about how a game goes, especially if you don't give a distribution for said corsi events. If you look at that, you'll see that we actually had the corsi lead by almost 10 well into the third, and it turned over when Detroit had the momentum into the penalty into the 2 minutes of having their goalie pulled. That's completely standard for how teams with a lead play, which is why score-adjusted corsi is a thing in the first place.

It does even less when you take into account a single player's corsi in a single agme. For example, just off the top of my head, I would have to imagine that Tage's shot attempt differential has far more to do with Sobotka being on his line, and the subsequent usage that means the line gets #becausePhil, than the quality of game Tage had. The worst thing about Tage's performance today (he had a couple nice rushes and shots) was a penalty he took, though it was a pretty weak call.

It takes so long for these stats to separate from things like plain old goal differential (+/-) and even then it can be argued how meaningful the separation is, given how complex hockey is, that's all I'm getting at.

The Sabres played a pretty damn good game today against a pretty bad team, just like they should have.

I appreciate the measured and thoughtful response. I don't disagree. I am just on about a particular player tonight, which I fully admit, and I use single-game corsi as a proxy for his overall performance. The point I am implicitly making is that he is bad, and, as evidence of that, he was bad tonight, and, because he is usually bad, you can look at this game and sort of understand his game. Arguing about single-game corsi stats, as just numbers, is meaningless. I agree on that point.

Eichel was like 30% last game and you don't see me arguing about him.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
A dangle followed by a hard snap shot gets many moist.

His negatives far outweigh his chances.

He's soft for his size.

He's slow unless he can wind up for 30 feet.

Dumb.

I don't think any of those things are going to improve as he gets older.

This is extremely accurate.

A while back, I made fun of Tim Murray for falling in love with Kulikov because he hip-checked MacKinnon once. This is the same thing. Botterill, or whoever, apparently saw Tage do a toe-drag and now, ya know, he's ABOUT TO BREAK OUT (despite terrible underlying stats). It's not happening. Someone went to bat for this kid, and, despite his or her best efforts, struck the f*** out.

I have no idea if anyone in the organization realizes this, and I don't care who is in charge of what. They keep playing him, and he's bad, and that indicates the entire NHL operation is completely inept. The Sabres are the new Oilers, until proven otherwise.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Huge difference in clearing guys out today. Had very good coverage in front of the net. Looked like they played a condensed game and squeezed everything in front of the net. Finally. Maybe the coaching staff finally adjusted and figured out what's wrong.

Reactions: Freeeeedom

Nedo801

Jul 13, 2017
Reinhart needs to get credit for his work in front of the net game after game. Several games in row where he kinda makes goals with these plays (Okposos in this game.)

Reactions: brian_griffin

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Rookies are bad if they show no improvement. Tage has shown improvement all season despite playing the most with Sobotka. He used to give bad o zone giveaways and he hasn’t done that for the last 30 games.

People harp on a guy who actually gets the puck during his shifts instead of playing passenger and treating it like a hot potato.

Reactions: Willgamesh and jc17

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Huge difference in clearing guys out today. Had very good coverage in front of the net. Looked like they played a condensed game and squeezed everything in front of the net. Finally. Maybe the coaching staff finally adjusted and figured out what's wrong.
I am convinced if they do it against a bigger team than Detroit.
They played very good yes.
But Detroit is soft slow and in tank mode.
Lets see if they can do it again and show some consistency.

Reactions: dasaybz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad