Confirmed with Link: Eriksson-Ek signs for 8 years ($5.25m AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Which is why you don't shit on other posters opinions and state yours as though it is an absolute truth...

The guy literally said, “Pairing him with guys like Boldy and Fiala, I know you'll see a rise in his points…”

How is that not an absolute truth?

I apologize if I came off aggressive but I am speaking in no more absolutes than anyone else here.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I don't follow on the last point. Do you mean that the ask from Ek's agent would go up if negotiations went on longer than a few days?
No. No. What I'm saying is that if you gave Ek a 1 year contract and his point totals go up. The required salary to get him to re-sign would also go up. Effectively makes the "wait and see" approach possibly more expensive than taking a risk, or making an assumption, that his point totals go up.

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
No. No. What I'm saying is that if you gave Ek a 1 year contract and his point totals go up. The required salary to get him to re-sign would also go up. Effectively makes the "wait and see" approach possibly more expensive than taking a risk, or making an assumption, that his point totals go up.

This is what I thought you were getting at and the point is valid for sure. But let’s say he signs a $4M 1-year bridge. How many points does he need to put up in order to deserve more than $5.25M?

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
This is what I thought you were getting at and the point is valid for sure. But let’s say he signs a $4M 1-year bridge. How many points does he need to put up in order to deserve more than $5.25M?

Hard to say as there are many variables that come into play. Example; is the cap stagnant? Has anyone signed a comparable contract? etc, etc.

Let's say, for whatever reason, some team decides to sign Danault at 6/yr. That will certainly skew what Ek is worth.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I gotcha. I do think a 1 year deal would have been a bad idea with Ek, though I don't think anyone else is really advocating for that either. I think most of us were expecting a 4-6 year deal with lower AAV and a moderate risk of Ek blowing up into a $7m center that you either have to extend at age 28-30 or let walk to free agency. Guerin's obviously taken the opposite risk here, that Ek's going to be better than we've already seen. I hope he's right but it's hard to not be skeptical.

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
The deal is done. I’m moving on.

hopefully we can argue about Fiala or Kap’s deal next week. Happy 4th, all.

I gotcha. I do think a 1 year deal would have been a bad idea with Ek, though I don't think anyone else is really advocating for that either. I think most of us were expecting a 4-6 year deal with lower AAV and a moderate risk of Ek blowing up into a $7m center that you either have to extend at age 28-30 or let walk to free agency. Guerin's obviously taken the opposite risk here, that Ek's going to be better than we've already seen. I hope he's right but it's hard to not be skeptical.

Last post regarding this deal.

For what it’s worth, Evolving Hockey had his extension projection at 2 years x $3.672M. Their model needs some attention after the RNH and this deal apparently.

Last edited by a moderator:

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010

Not that Jesus is advocating for it, but it was certainly somewhat proposed.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Eriksson Ek's numbers this past season-
With Kaprizov and Fiala - 10 minutes 0GF 2GA 0GF% 20.51XGF%
With Kaprizov no Fiala - 108 minutes 6GF 5GA 54.55GF% 56.75XGF%
With Fiala no Kaprizov - 130 minutes 6GF 4GA 60GF% 59.70XGF%
Without Fiala and Kaprizov - 540 minutes 32GF 17GA 65.31GF% 55.89XGF%

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Eriksson Ek's numbers this past season-
With Kaprizov and Fiala - 10 minutes 0GF 2GA 0GF% 20.51XGF%
With Kaprizov no Fiala - 108 minutes 6GF 5GA 54.55GF% 56.75XGF%
With Fiala no Kaprizov - 130 minutes 6GF 4GA 60GF% 59.70XGF%
Without Fiala and Kaprizov - 540 minutes 32GF 17GA 65.31GF% 55.89XGF%
I thought that first line was a typo for XGF% :laugh: I guess 10 minutes doesn't really tell us anything, though.

Still not hating the idea of trying him with Fiala.

I did advocate for it in other threads/posts lolz.
My bad, then :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jesus comma Brodin

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
What's your answer to this question? If he's a 50 point selke level center I think it's really hard to say he is "overpaid." That would require a +9 point pace from the last two seasons. If Ek gets better offensive linemates and more power play time I think it's a strong possibility he breaks into the 50 point zone. I find it hard to imagine he wouldn't be a 25+25 guy next to Fiala and Boldy.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I thought that first line was a typo for XGF% :laugh: I guess 10 minutes doesn't really tell us anything, though.

Still not hating the idea of trying him with Fiala.
I don't hate trying anyone with anybody, but the numbers show exactly what the eye test showed. He's better in a defensive role on a grinding line. Paying him more money doesn't magically change that.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Last post regarding this deal.

For what it’s worth, Evolving Hockey had his extension projection at 2 years x $3.672M. Their model needs some attention after the RNH and this deal apparently.
I would love to know if people on here would rather have RNH at 8x5.125 or Eriksson Ek at 8x5.25

Also:
As for Eriksson Ek, Evolving Hockey projected his market would be a shade north of $6 million annually if he signed an eight-year deal. So, $5.25 million per year for a contract that long is a good price if Eriksson Ek continues on the path he’s on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 57special

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't hate trying anyone with anybody, but the numbers show exactly what the eye test showed. He's better in a defensive role on a grinding line. Paying him more money doesn't magically change that.
Same page there, and if they did put him with Fiala they'd have to get more than just a few extra assists out of him to make it worth it. If he's playing with Fiala he's not taking those hard defensive assignments, so the jump in GA sure better be offset by a jump in GF.

And most of my concern isn't even with Ek at $5.25m. Even if I think that's a tad high he's not a player I really mind taking that chance on; at the very least I don't think he'll crater out as a $2m player. But where many teams can get away with paying their Ek's $500k extra, most of them aren't also paying $15m to Parise and Suter for the next 4 years, with a few other dodgy contracts on top of those. At some point the cap is going to force Guerin to pick his battles, and I'm increasingly worried about what that's going to look like.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Hard to say as there are many variables that come into play. Example; is the cap stagnant? Has anyone signed a comparable contract? etc, etc.

Let's say, for whatever reason, some team decides to sign Danault at 6/yr. That will certainly skew what Ek is worth.
I rarely see teams worry about locking up quality middle-6 centers.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I rarely see teams worry about locking up quality middle-6 centers.
Colin White
Adam Henrique
Nick Schmaltz
Alex Wennberg
Tyler Johnson
Yanni Gourde
Charlie Coyle
Kevin Hayes
Victor Rask

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I guess the fear is that JEE turns into the next Kyle Brodziak? I don't see it.
Fun fact. Brodziak was born in St. Paul.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
At it's core it's a fair deal if you expect JEEK to become a 50pt Selke candidate for the better part of the next 8 years. That's very clearly the opinion of the Wild's front office.

Personally, I think that's very much a possibility. I'll let the rest of the off-season play out before I start offering reactionary opinions.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Another thought playing off the idea of Fiala - Ek - Boldy.
Maybe Guerin's plan is to move Fiala and run Greenway - Ek - Boldy as the 2nd line with the hope that Boldy replacing Foligno gives that line enough offense to be more of an "all situations" line?

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Another thought playing off the idea of Fiala - Ek - Boldy.
Maybe Guerin's plan is to move Fiala and run Greenway - Ek - Boldy as the 2nd line with the hope that Boldy replacing Foligno gives that line enough offense to be more of an "all situations" line?
Not a bad idea, depending on the Fiala return of course. Then you can run a line of Foligno - Sturm - Hartman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad