HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Erik "Under-Appreciated" Condra (28)

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
You are speaking about one or a small few who made those claims. Not the "fancy stat crowd".

Corsi isn't meant to measure scoring chances. It measures possession. And if we have the puck when he's on the ice, we're not allowing goals. If we're talking about needing to get him better linemates it's because guys like Greening and Neil just had terrible seasons. It isn't about getting Condra more ice-time and a top 6 role, it's about getting other players who aren't terrible.

Fair enough but it was more than a few. When Corsi started to pick up steam there were more than a few who made ludicrous suggestions about him and Spezza, etc...

I understand if we have the puck more it is better for us but I don't see Condra being able to carry the puck much or for very far so while we might have the puck more, I don't necessarily equate that to him being a great possession player.

Greening did have a terrible season and no doubt we need all our players to be better but Condra is just a good role player. Again I actually do like him, I just believe he isn't as good as what Corsi might suggest and my real issue is people who use that as gospel to try and prove a point.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
Fair enough but it was more than a few. When Corsi started to pick up steam there were more than a few who made ludicrous suggestions about him and Spezza, etc...

I understand if we have the puck more it is better for us but I don't see Condra being able to carry the puck much or for very far so while we might have the puck more, I don't necessarily equate that to him being a great possession player.

Greening did have a terrible season and no doubt we need all our players to be better but Condra is just a good role player. Again I actually do like him, I just believe he isn't as good as what Corsi might suggest and my real issue is people who use that as gospel to try and prove a point.

Except no one here is doing any of that right now. Condra is a very good 4th liner that can be used as a 3rd liner if need be while being an effective player on the PK. That's it.

Having good Corsi numbers does not equate to being a good offensive player but it does make him a good possession player.

When I say that I feel Condra is under-appreciated by some, I refer to those who want him off the team. I think he's a far more valuable player to us than a Greening or a Neil, and I think he'll be more capable in his role than many of the young guys coming up.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Condra is the biggest beast we have have on this team when it comes to the dreaded pk, simply put, he's a BEAST!!!!! God our pk sucks when Eric Condra is the player you look to.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
This board is going to be amazing when Condra gets a 2-year extension for under $1mil per year in February.

Should I hedge my bets and buy the fireworks months ahead of time and save some money by buying now, or risk waiting until the day it happens and buy them then? Firework prices are like airline ticket prices, right? That's how this works?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Except no one here is doing any of that right now. Condra is a very good 4th liner that can be used as a 3rd liner if need be while being an effective player on the PK. That's it.

Having good Corsi numbers does not equate to being a good offensive player but it does make him a good possession player.

When I say that I feel Condra is under-appreciated by some, I refer to those who want him off the team. I think he's a far more valuable player to us than a Greening or a Neil, and I think he'll be more capable in his role than many of the young guys coming up.

I would prefer to have Condra on the team, but I feel that the problem is that we already have Neil as a 4th line RW.

I hope Stache starts using Neil more sparingly vs teams like the Habs, Leafs, Bruins where we need to up the intensity #interdivisionalgames

I'm still wishing for a Greening-Smith-Condra 4th line. You know how beautiful that would be? Arguably our best 4th line in franchise history, IMO.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
This board is going to be amazing when Condra gets a 2-year extension for under $1mil per year in February.

Should I hedge my bets and buy the fireworks months ahead of time and save some money by buying now, or risk waiting until the day it happens and buy them then? Firework prices are like airline ticket prices, right? That's how this works?

If Murray can weave some magic and get him at 1 mil I'll buy some fireworks myself.

Are there any legit NHLers left (outside of rookie contracts) making a million (or less)?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I wish we acquired some first line talent so we could push condra,Neil,greening off the team. The constant arguing of who is better is annoying, they all suck and we would be so much better grabbing good players that push our 2nd line down to the third, our third down to the 4th, and our 4th off the team.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
If only we could mix up Condra and Greening, we'd have an elite 3rd liner.

Don't be messing with nature X. Genetic splicing, breeding the superior hockey player in a beaker; it's a bad scene drawing the interest of only the most unhinged scientific minds. Freak shows and oddities, straight out of The Island of Dr. Moreau. Cat's eyes for snipers and playmakers, gorilla fists for enforcers, turtle shells and chameleon proboscis arms for goalies. Where will it end? A godless mess, that's where.

No, I'm just gonna wish the fellow a happy birthday and push those dreams of genetically manipulating his DNA to the side. It seems safer in the long run.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata

People suggested putting him with spezza because spezza could barely get out of his own zone early in the season. He was getting slaughtered by opponents so they suggested putting condra with him to give him a bit of a possession boost, not to try and make condra a first liner.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
And yet we are told that while Ottawa is shopping both Condra & Greening around their doesn`t seem to be any takers for either player. Even with all those possession numbers & Yost solidly behind him, Condra doesn`t seem to have any value to any other team. I wonder why? :shakehead

P.S. Happy Birthday

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
And yet we are told that while Ottawa is shopping both Condra & Greening around their doesn`t seem to be any takers for either player. Even with all those possession numbers & Yost solidly behind him, Condra doesn`t seem to have any value to any other team. I wonder why? :shakehead

P.S. Happy Birthday

lol

Even if you have a bias for big players, definitely agree on this.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

You are taking this too literally and too personally. I am talking about this particular thread I am talking about many threads across many blogs and there certainly was a fair bit of talk about "hockey people" not understanding how good Condra is because they don't understand the underlying numbers, etc...my only point is that being a good Corsi player doesn't really make you anything special unless you have the skill to back it up and actually do something with that puck that apparently you have all the time.

People suggested putting him with spezza because spezza could barely get out of his own zone early in the season. He was getting slaughtered by opponents so they suggested putting condra with him to give him a bit of a possession boost, not to try and make condra a first liner.

Not trying to be a jerk but what's the difference? When Spezza played with Condra it was not a good thing and by default Condra received close to 1st line minutes.

Nothing against Condra at all I just disagree with making him better or more effective than he is because he has a good Corsi. He did light up the German league so he does have skill, it just hasn't translated to the NHL consistently yet. He also has a terrible shot so he won't score many goals outside the crease area.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Don't be messing with nature X. Genetic splicing, breeding the superior hockey player in a beaker; it's a bad scene drawing the interest of only the most unhinged scientific minds. Freak shows and oddities, straight out of The Island of Dr. Moreau. Cat's eyes for snipers and playmakers, gorilla fists for enforcers, turtle shells and chameleon proboscis arms for goalies. Where will it end? A godless mess, that's where.

No, I'm just gonna wish the fellow a happy birthday and push those dreams of genetically manipulating his DNA to the side. It seems safer in the long run.

Lol nevermind, I don't get any of this.

Going back to watching the new movie version of "Frankenstein"...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad