HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Erik "Under-Appreciated" Condra (28)

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
He makes sure no scoring happens for anyone.

He blocks any and all shots.

He has never made Bob Cole say "Oh, baby the Condra-ceptive.

Bet you my dog that Condra is busting his ass on offensive skills and i bet he gets 30 points this year. It will be tough as his role is typically defensive. He had at least 5 pk shorthanded breakaways this year not including even strength oppotunities. For 1.2 mil he is not hurting the team. Many of the unknowledgables only see points.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Bet you my dog that Condra is busting his ass on offensive skills and i bet he gets 30 points this year. It will be tough as his role is typically defensive. He had at least 5 pk shorthanded breakaways this year not including even strength oppotunities. For 1.2 mil he is not hurting the team. Many of the unknowledgables only see points.

I'd hope he's working on his hands, but I'm with you: he brings a great defensive element, and a fourth liner who contributes about 25 points in a full season — the 16 last year being off his normal pace — is performing about as well as you can expect for someone in his position.

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
Condra looking like Spezza for a second before his goal against buffalo :laugh:

Great player who deserves to be here many more moons.
When this team will be holding a lead in the playoffs with seconds to go, Condra will be there to seal the deal 100% of the way.

CanadianGuest

Jul 14, 2012
Ontario
Condra has been working on his shot this summer, and he can now hit the barn 4 out of every 10 attempts.

Happy Birthday Condra!!

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
When I only looked at him as a player I thought what a useful player he is. He isn't blazing fast or silky smooth but he does have some speed and agility and is an above average puck handler. I appreciated what he brought to the team and liked that he could make those nice plays (that largely go unnoticed) while being the defensive conscience of a line.

Then the fancy stat people started telling me he needed to play more minutes, with better players because his Corsi was so good, blah, blah, blah...he became this beacon of the fancy stat crowd and they pretty much ruined him for me.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
When I only looked at him as a player I thought what a useful player he is. He isn't blazing fast or silky smooth but he does have some speed and agility and is an above average puck handler. I appreciated what he brought to the team and liked that he could make those nice plays (that largely go unnoticed) while being the defensive conscience of a line.

Then the fancy stat people started telling me he needed to play more minutes, with better players because his Corsi was so good, blah, blah, blah...he became this beacon of the fancy stat crowd and they pretty much ruined him for me.

That's ridiculous. You liked him until people gave you more reason to like him? You don't have a consistently high corsi by accident. It may not be everything, but if we have the puck 10% more than the opponent every time he's on the ice, he's doing something right.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
That's ridiculous. You liked him until people gave you more reason to like him? You don't have a consistently high corsi by accident. It may not be everything, but if we have the puck 10% more than the opponent every time he's on the ice, he's doing something right.

No I like(d) him because of how he plays - regardless of what the Corsi numbers say - but understand his limitations.

THEN the fancy stat crowd started suggesting he needed to play a lot more with better players and I think that that is what is actually ridiculous. He is what he is, no more. He shouldn't play more minutes and he shouldn't play on a top line - he does't have the skill to play at that level.

And my #1 issue with Corsi is that it doesn't take into account the type of scoring chances. I see him floating these wristers from just across the blue line or tight against the boards that end up as a + for his Corsi and I realize that you can inflate those numbers.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I always found it interesting how he's Amerikan but his name is spelled "Erik".

Erik is Scandinavian.
Eric is French.

He seems to have more Scandinavian in him than French so I'm not surprised.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
No I like(d) him because of how he plays - regardless of what the Corsi numbers say - but understand his limitations.

THEN the fancy stat crowd started suggesting he needed to play a lot more with better players and I think that that is what is actually ridiculous. He is what he is, no more. He shouldn't play more minutes and he shouldn't play on a top line - he does't have the skill to play at that level.

And my #1 issue with Corsi is that it doesn't take into account the type of scoring chances. I see him floating these wristers from just across the blue line or tight against the boards that end up as a + for his Corsi and I realize that you can inflate those numbers.

You are speaking about one or a small few who made those claims. Not the "fancy stat crowd".

Corsi isn't meant to measure scoring chances. It measures possession. And if we have the puck when he's on the ice, we're not allowing goals. If we're talking about needing to get him better linemates it's because guys like Greening and Neil just had terrible seasons. It isn't about getting Condra more ice-time and a top 6 role, it's about getting other players who aren't terrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad