Prospect Info: Erik Portillo, G, 67th 2019, University of Michigan

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
That is the one bonus if they sign this year is that they get to burn a year of the ELC.

That being said it sounds like people are saying Johnson wants to play where his father works.

Johnson is from California and his Father works for Anaheim(I think) so why sign here?

How many have the sabres signed who went into their final year before free agency?

If we have this discussion in the summer are we gonna be 0-3 for our last 3?
I've heard people say that about Johnson repeatedly. Has he said this? I can't imagine why most kids would want to work in their father's organization. People do that in the non-hockey world to get access to jobs they couldn't otherwise get (i.e., nepotism). That's not the case here. I doubt Johnson will get unearned playing time just because his father is in the organization. If anything, I could see it being more of a hinderance to him (i.e., he is held to a higher standard to avoid the appearance of favoritism).

Now, he still might want to play in California or some other non-Buffalo team. But I would be a little surprised if his main objective is to play for his dad.

Interestingly, his father (Craig) is co-head coach with former Sabres assistant coach Chris Hajt (who grew up in Buffalo while his dad, Bill, played for the swords).

Any college prospect that goes to their final year of eligibility I would expect to go to free agency.

Thats for all teams. Even though some might sign its just playing the odds.

I expect Johnson and Portillo to test free agency.

Why return to college during your final year of eligibility if it wasn't to test free agency.
I don't know about you, but college was pretty damn fun : )

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
We've been down this before, wish I had bookmarked it :biglaugh:

Off the top of my head:

Weissbach, Fitzgerald, Anthony Florentino to an AHL deal, Judd Peterson to an AHL deal

They didn't offer a deal to Max Willman, Christopher Brown, Ivan Chukarov who went on to AHL or ECHL deals after graduating (or post-graduate in Willman's case). Willman got an NHL deal after an AHL deal and is the Flyers version of Matt Ellis right now.

They didn't offer a contract to Hurley and he went to Norway this year without being a pro in NA.
I was surprised to learn recently that Willman is still playing in the Flyers' organization. After playing *5* seasons at Brown, he now has 50 NHL games under his belt.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I've heard people say that about Johnson repeatedly. Has he said this? I can't imagine why most kids would want to work in their father's organization. People do that in the non-hockey world to get access to jobs they couldn't otherwise get (i.e., nepotism). That's not the case here. I doubt Johnson will get unearned playing time just because his father is in the organization. If anything, I could see it being more of a hinderance to him (i.e., he is held to a higher standard to avoid the appearance of favoritism).

Now, he still might want to play in California or some other non-Buffalo team. But I would be a little surprised if his main objective is to play for his dad.

Interestingly, his father (Craig) is co-head coach with former Sabres assistant coach Chris Hajt (who grew up in Buffalo while his dad, Bill, played for the swords).

I don't know about you, but college was pretty damn fun : )
Did yo stay in college to pass up a million dollars though? NHL is pretty damn fun too(I would assume)

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Did yo stay in college to pass up a million dollars though? NHL is pretty damn fun too(I would assume)
Portillo wasn‘t going to be in the NHL. He would have started in AHL, possibly even ECHL, depending on how prepared he was. He wasn’t going to be making millions for a few years.

Johnson had a better shot at starting in NHL his season but an AHL start was likely.

Riding the bus in the minors vs one least year of fun on a really good college team.

Reactions: Ehran

zuikan

Mar 26, 2018
With all the good fortune to come our way, despite how painful the road to it was. Guys like Dahlin, Power, Tuch, Cozens, Peterka, Samuelsson, Mitts, Quinn, Jost, UPL?, Thompson in the same sentence as Super Mario some nights, Plus a bunch of good looking talent in the pipeline, I'm not going to bother myself over what Portillo or Johnson may or may not do.... There's still hope for Joki to be solid too, and the cherry on top is Granato.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
We've been down this before, wish I had bookmarked it :biglaugh:

Off the top of my head:

Weissbach, Fitzgerald, Anthony Florentino to an AHL deal, Judd Peterson to an AHL deal

They didn't offer a deal to Max Willman, Christopher Brown, Ivan Chukarov who went on to AHL or ECHL deals after graduating (or post-graduate in Willman's case). Willman got an NHL deal after an AHL deal and is the Flyers version of Matt Ellis right now.

They didn't offer a contract to Hurley and he went to Norway this year without being a pro in NA.
Same. I had a post listing how each college pick worked out over 25 drafts. I just went through the 2010-2019 drafts. Ten drafts ending with the Portillo/Johnson draft.

NCAA picks -> 22
Played all 4yrs -> 15

Breakdown of those 15
Not offered deal -> (6) Isakson/Navin/Hurley/Brown/Willman/Chukarov

NHL deals ——-> (3) Malone/Fitzgerald/Weissbach

Status undecided -> (3) Johnson/Portillo/Huglin

AHL deals ——> (2) Florentino/Judd Peterson

Left as UFA -> (1) Cal Peterson

I may have missed 1 and wasn’t 100% sure on Huglin status. I believe next offseason he needs to be offered a deal or he’s a UFA.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Same. I had a post listing how each college pick worked out over 25 drafts. I just went through the 2010-2019 drafts. Ten drafts ending with the Portillo/Johnson draft.

NCAA picks -> 22
Played all 4yrs -> 15

Breakdown of those 15
Not offered deal -> (6) Isakson/Navin/Hurley/Brown/Willman/Chukarov

NHL deals ——-> (3) Malone/Fitzgerald/Weissbach

Status undecided -> (3) Johnson/Portillo/Huglin

AHL deals ——> (2) Florentino/Judd Peterson

Left as UFA -> (1) Cal Peterson

I may have missed 1 and wasn’t 100% sure on Huglin status. I believe next offseason he needs to be offered a deal or he’s a UFA.
The other 7 NCAA picks were ……..

Played 3yrs/NHL deal -> (2) McCabe/Borgen
- traded (1) Compher
- AHL deal (1) Murray

Played 2yrs/NHL deal -> (1) Samuelsson

Played 1yr/NHL deal -> (1) Mitts

Signed right after draft -> (1) Eichel

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
With all the good fortune to come our way, despite how painful the road to it was. Guys like Dahlin, Power, Tuch, Cozens, Peterka, Samuelsson, Mitts, Quinn, Jost, UPL?, Thompson in the same sentence as Super Mario some nights, Plus a bunch of good looking talent in the pipeline, I'm not going to bother myself over what Portillo or Johnson may or may not do.... There's still hope for Joki to be solid too, and the cherry on top is Granato.
Not a fan of Joki .
He's had several years to grow and he really hasn't.
He's a #6 or #7 at best.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Where is all the whining about drafting CHL kids who wind up not being worth an ELC two years later? The irrationality of the takes people have on the NCAA "loophole" is really obnoxious.
There really isn’t a loop hole

CHL player drsfted st 18 renter drsft and get picked for 2 more years , then are UFA after 4 yrs on 1 Zjune.

Europe picked players is for %4 yrs to 1 june

with college bound players assuming thry go to college right after drsft is for 4 yrs thru august 15. It’s mid august because of college calendars not all colleges are done by 1 June.

the issues in college sre
(1) if a drsfted player deoays a yr for college then they could turn pro after 4 yrs leaving college time available
(2) players who start college at 17 and not draft eligible so pre drsft is in college, then they have only 4 yrs of control instead of 4 other than things like red shirting or grad transfer.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
There really isn’t a loop hole

CHL player drsfted st 18 renter drsft and get picked for 2 more years , then are UFA after 4 yrs on 1 Zjune.

Europe picked players is for %4 yrs to 1 june

with college bound players assuming thry go to college right after drsft is for 4 yrs thru august 15. It’s mid august because of college calendars not all colleges are done by 1 June.

the issues in college sre
(1) if a drsfted player deoays a yr for college then they could turn pro after 4 yrs leaving college time available
(2) players who start college at 17 and not draft eligible so pre drsft is in college, then they have only 4 yrs of control instead of 4 other than things like red shirting or grad transfer.
I used quotes because I agree that it isn't a loophole

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
As I’ve said repeatedly it never made sense for him to want to sign here after we traded for Levi.

What both guys need is to play as many games as possible in the AHL next season. Experience the grind of pro hockey.

You wouldn’t WANT both of them to sign at the same time. Once Portillo returned to Michigan this year it was over.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
As I’ve said repeatedly it never made sense for him to want to sign here after we traded for Levi.

What both guys need is to play as many games as possible in the AHL next season. Experience the grind of pro hockey.

You wouldn’t WANT both of them to sign at the same time. Once Portillo returned to Michigan this year it was over.

Basically, this. I'm not upset at all that Portillo didn't want to sign; hell, I completely understand it. I'm just glad KA got something of decent value for him. Basically got a refund.

Reactions: ottsabrefan

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Basically, this. I'm not upset at all that Portillo didn't want to sign; hell, I completely understand it. I'm just glad KA got something of decent value for him. Basically got a refund.
I’m not upset with him in the least. Unlike the last guy who went to LA I wish him well. He’s made the right choice for his own development…and Levi’s too.

Reactions: Zman5778

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013

Reading into what Adams said, it made it seem like Portillo wasn't interested in the Sabres market and it really bothers me what is said about us in the college goalie circles because this isn't the first college goalie to spur us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad