Prospect Info: Erik Portillo, G, 67th 2019, University of Michigan

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
MarkusKetterer don't preach.

There is a weird connection since she used ABBA's "Gimme, Gimme, Gimme" (Vic's goal song this year) synth riff in one of her songs. (I know this since it is mashed up with Gorillaz "Feel Good Inc." about 20 years ago live on an awards show.)

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
How many haven’t signed the last 6-7 years? Or the last decade?
Buffalo lost 3, like I said. Is there another team that’s lost more?

Show some receipts.
Petersen
Johnson
Portillo

Anyone who says there aren’t gone need to show reports reflecting that. They’re free agents and anyone saying otherwise is just trolling at this point.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Petersen
Johnson
Portillo

Anyone who says there aren’t gone need to show reports reflecting that. They’re free agents and anyone saying otherwise is just trolling at this point.

Right, so you said "the most" and you have included players who aren't gone yet. Claiming they've lost the most? Show your work.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008

Petersen
Johnson
Portillo

I don't agree with this, there's definitely a chance Johnson leaves, obviously. But I don't think he would've taken as long as he did to decide to return or not if he wasn't at least considering signing with the Sabres. Sabres writers have also confirmed Portillo is gone, nothing of the like has been said about Johnson yet.

I really think the negative buzz around this time + covid not allowing these guys to do training camp and meet any other prospects and get familiar with the organization or anything put Adams in a hard spot trying to climb out of.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Right, so you said "the most" and you have included players who aren't gone yet. Claiming they've lost the most? Show your work.
One of the reporters for the Buffalo news says he gone - that’s enough for me. I guess it’s fake news to the people here.

I don't agree with this, there's definitely a chance Johnson leaves, obviously. But I don't think he would've taken as long as he did to decide to return or not if he wasn't at least considering signing with the Sabres. Sabres writers have also confirmed Portillo is gone, nothing of the like has been said about Johnson yet.

I really think the negative buzz around this time + covid not allowing these guys to do training camp and meet any other prospects and get familiar with the organization or anything put Adams in a hard spot trying to climb out of.
On his podcast Lance said Johnson is as good as gone. I believe the guy who’s with the team on a daily basis over the posters on here who have no access at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
On his podcast Lance said Johnson is as good as gone. I believe the guy who’s with the team on a daily basis over the posters on here who have no access at all.
Can you link me that? Because I listen most weeks and I thought he said it was Portillo, not Johnson. Searching keywords on Twitter as well and I haven't seen anything. If I missed it I'd happily admit im wrong.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Trade him before it's too late, and get draft compensation, move on. Not all goalies are going to be "this". I.e. UPL. It might be advantageous to look at European goalies. lol

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Can you link me that? Because I listen most weeks and I thought he said it was Portillo, not Johnson. Searching keywords on Twitter as well and I haven't seen anything. If I missed it I'd happily admit im wrong.

It was Portillo he said it about.

Reactions: Zman5778

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Trade him before it's too late, and get draft compensation, move on. Not all goalies are going to be "this". I.e. UPL. It might be advantageous to look at European goalies. lol
He was playing for Frolunda when we drafted him and is Swedish lol

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
It was Portillo he said it about.
He said it about Johnson too. You’re lying.

He said on one of the podcasts that “all signs point to Johnson not signing.”

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yes, but there was a plan in place prior to his draft to go to the USHL and then college. We definitely need to sign Levi.

Yes, the Sabres need to sign Levi but there was nothing wrong with how Portillo's development path was laid out or how he has progressed along it.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
lol relax man. If what you said is true, he most likely didn't hear it. Similar to me.

He said on one of the podcasts that “all signs point to Johnson not signing.”
I never heard him say that when I listen every week as well and I don't see anything on Twitter anyone reacting to him saying that. But I believe that you believe what you heard.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Any college prospect that goes to their final year of eligibility I would expect to go to free agency.

Thats for all teams. Even though some might sign its just playing the odds.

I expect Johnson and Portillo to test free agency.

Why return to college during your final year of eligibility if it wasn't to test free agency.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Any college prospect that goes to their final year of eligibility I would expect to go to free agency.

Why return to college during your final year of eligibility if it wasn't to test free agency.
For the most part I agree.

I don't like drafting NCAA goalies because they take to long to develop, and by the time they do are likely close to free agency. I also don't like 2nd-3rd round NCAA defenseman for the same reason. At least with a 1st round NCAA dman, they likely are ready for a pro contract in a couple years and are more likely to sign and get started in the AHL, and if they go 4 years and don't sign, you at least get the second round pick. Forwards I am fine with, because you will likely know if you want to sign them after 1-2 years if they are any good.

I think Johnson signs and plays this year to burn a year of ELC. I think Portillo walks.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

There are 39 drafted seniors in the NCAA this year, 17 graduate students, and 49 juniors who have some variety of availability to sign once they graduate. A majority of those who do sign anywhere will be signed by their drafting team based on recent history.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022

I don't like drafting NCAA goalies because they take to long to develop, and by the time they do are likely close to free agency. I also don't like 2nd-3rd round NCAA defenseman for the same reason. At least with a 1st round NCAA dman, they likely are ready for a pro contract in a couple years and are more likely to sign and get started in the AHL, and if they go 4 years and don't sign, you at least get the second round pick. Forwards I am fine with, because you will likely know if you want to sign them after 1-2 years if they are any good.

I think Johnson signs and plays this year to burn a year of ELC. I think Portillo walks.
That is the one bonus if they sign this year is that they get to burn a year of the ELC.

That being said it sounds like people are saying Johnson wants to play where his father works.

Johnson is from California and his Father works for Anaheim(I think) so why sign here?

There are 39 drafted seniors in the NCAA this year, 17 graduate students, and 49 juniors who have some variety of availability to sign once they graduate. A majority of those who do sign anywhere will be signed by their drafting team based on recent history.
How many have the sabres signed who went into their final year before free agency?

If we have this discussion in the summer are we gonna be 0-3 for our last 3?

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf

For Portillo the Sabres trading for Levi likely didn't help. You basically go from being one of the teams top 2 goalie prospects with UPL to being essentially the 3rd best behind them. If you see UPL playing well in the NHL, and Levi outperforming you for the past year and a half probably doesn't bode well for the confidence that you can get to the NHL behind them. Prior to trading for Levi I wouldn't have been surprised if he saw Buffalo as a good opportunity, but that changed with Levi.

I wouldn't run from NCAA goalies with mid round picks because of it though. Look at how many good college goalies never make it to the NHL, it's a crap shoot. Jack Lafontaine is a good example recently. Went from a good NCAA goalie, to leaving early to sign his ELC, had some bad games and poof he's now a UFA Carolina decided not to re-sign. Our good friend Cal Petersen is another. gave the kings half a good season and some decent call-ups, earned his payday and now he's riding busses in the AHL. Mid round picks rarely make an impact at the NHL level, and with goalies some of them might give you a single good season and a bunch of bad ones.

I'd be more keen to simply spend a 4th or 5th every year on a goalie regardless of the league they play in. Very few of them ever live up to their draft range in the first couple rounds anyway. Get a bunch developing in the system including one or 2 Russians who's rights you hold for much longer.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That is the one bonus if they sign this year is that they get to burn a year of the ELC.

That being said it sounds like people are saying Johnson wants to play where his father works.

Johnson is from California and his Father works for Anaheim(I think) so why sign here?

How many have the sabres signed who went into their final year before free agency?

We've been down this before, wish I had bookmarked it :biglaugh:

Off the top of my head:

Weissbach, Fitzgerald, Anthony Florentino to an AHL deal, Judd Peterson to an AHL deal

They didn't offer a deal to Max Willman, Christopher Brown, Ivan Chukarov who went on to AHL or ECHL deals after graduating (or post-graduate in Willman's case). Willman got an NHL deal after an AHL deal and is the Flyers version of Matt Ellis right now.

They didn't offer a contract to Hurley and he went to Norway this year without being a pro in NA.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
We've been down this before, wish I had bookmarked it :biglaugh:

Off the top of my head:

Weissbach, Fitzgerald, Anthony Florentino to an AHL deal, Judd Peterson to an AHL deal

They didn't offer a deal to Max Willman, Christopher Brown, Ivan Chukarov who went on to AHL or ECHL deals after graduating (or post-graduate in Willman's case). Willman got an NHL deal after an AHL deal and is the Flyers version of Matt Ellis right now.

They didn't offer a contract to Hurley and he went to Norway this year without being a pro in NA.

Aren’t Bryson and Murray on that list too?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: