Erik Karlsson vs Drew Doughty

Who is Better Right Now?

• Total voters

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
its pretty crazy how bad karlsson has become since his prime but still plays better than doughty lol

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Karlsson never played defense even at his best...but at his best, he could take over games on offense. I haven't seen his best or even a hint of his best since his surgeries though. I honestly don't know if his mobility will ever be the same again.

Doughty is overrated but he's more well-rounded if Karlsson can't make up for his defensive deficiencies with his world-class offensive game.

To me, it's somewhat close...only because Karlsson doesn't care to play defense for long stretches of the game. I would still lean heavily towards Karlsson though because I don't have short-term memory and I think he is probably the only truly game-breaking D-man that I have seen since the post-cap era.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
LA is a terrible team. I wonder if Doughty himself has truly fallen off or his team has....

At his peak I absolutely take Doughty. A two way defensive monster. Karlsson was never, ever close defensively. Karlsson at his peak, unlikely to be reached again, was likewise far superior offensively.

With that tunnel vision, Doughty is my easy choice. I prefer the player who produces offensively AND plays elite defense. Now, it is even easier with Karlsson's decline and contract.

The poster above may suggest Doughty is overrated but if that is a question, then what on earth is Karlsson if not incredibly overrated because of his peak's offensive production.

but the Sharks were even worse than they were this year so wouldn't any team based malus logically apply to Karlsson even more here?

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
It’s easily Karlsson, but for BOTH of them their current cap hits give them negative value

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Karlsson never played defense even at his best...but at his best, he could take over games on offense. I haven't seen his best or even a hint of his best since his surgeries though. I honestly don't know if his mobility will ever be the same again.

Doughty is overrated but he's more well-rounded if Karlsson can't make up for his defensive deficiencies with his world-class offensive game.

To me, it's somewhat close...only because Karlsson doesn't care to play defense for long stretches of the game. I would still lean heavily towards Karlsson though because I don't have short-term memory and I think he is probably the only truly game-breaking D-man that I have seen since the post-cap era.

I think you have Karlsson’s defensive game mixed up with Rielly lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad