Proposal: Erik Karlsson to the Edmonton Oilers

FightingIrish17

Jun 13, 2013
I doubt that the owner will take on Draisaitl's contract if he's not willing to pay EK.

2017 unprotected 1st
2018 unprotected 1st
Puljujarvi or Yamomoto
Bear or Jones
Klefbom or Sekera
Strome

?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
You do realize that almost every single player who is up for a contract has said exactly what Karlsson and Doughty have said, right?

Both players said their top choice was to stay with their team, but it's a business and anything can happen. That's about as chiché an answer as anyone could give. They also need to protect their leverage in negotiations, and the best way to do that would be to hint at the possibility of signing somewhere else. What other leverage does a player have?

If Doughty or Karlsson said, "I'm signing with my team, no matter what." What would that do to their ability to demand the money they want?

Stop reading into it so deeply.

Plus, it would be pretty much a suicide move by the Sens to not sign him. The fan revolt would be off the charts.
I didn't see anything regarding his choice is to stay..............it all just seems way too early to even be talking about it...

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It's a direct quote from this Sportsnet article posted on their site this morning.

Erik Karlsson talks free agency: 'I'm going to get what I'm worth' - Sportsnet.ca

When I go to market, I’m going to get what I’m worth, and it’s going to be no less, no matter where I’m going,”

“I like it here, I’m comfortable here, I’ve been here my whole career,” Karlsson said. “It’s something that I invested all my time in and something I would like to see all the way through."

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If Ottawa trades Karlsson because they don't want to pay him what he's worth then they will probably trade him for draft picks and players on ELC's. If this were to happen then I really feel for Ottawa fans. It's like having Pocklington for an owner.

Reactions: McDaddy

Never

Can you hear me now?
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary
An OTT/EDM deal for Karlsson makes no sense. EDM couldn't afford it without sending Draisaitl the other way, and if OTT's gonna take on Drai's contact, they might as well just use that money to re-sign Karlsson.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Knowing that Karlsson is going to free agency means no team is going to gut their rosters or give up all their prospects and picks for a year and a half of him. If he gets traded, it will be this off-season or next year's trade deadline.

He'll get a fair return but nothing like the OP offer.

IMO both these players devalued themselves to any trade offers knowing they plan on going to FA.

I wouldn't worry if your a Kings or Senators fan. It's just the Stamkos situation all over again. Both will most likely resign. Both just want to maximize their contract and want to force their clubs to put up fair offers.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Woah, Erik Karlsson won`t go to Oilers - and they don`t need an offensive defender like Karlsson, they need defenders who are better defensively aka. Skjei, Ryan Mc. But Brady Skjei is off the table.
Ottawa won`t pay him? He is their franchise player..

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Is Karlsson saying he won’t re-sign with Ottawa? Or they won’t pay him? They’d be crazy not to pay him. Sends a bad message to the fans, if that’s the case.
Also, isn’t he a top ten player in the nhl? Got to pay those guys. And keep them when you have the chance.

Reactions: Ori

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
How about the Oilers send their 1st (Rasmus Dahlin) for Erik Karlsson?
I believe it`s too early to speculate that Oilers won`t reach the playoffs this season don`t u think? :)

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Draisital + 1st (unprotected) is fair for Karlsson imo. Unless he does a sign and trade which is a different story

That's about right, and I think Russell would have to go the other way, which he'd have to agree to as he has a NMC. That balances out the probable salary, and Sens get a great forward, what should be a high first, and a Dman who is very capable on the 2nd pairing and has been mostly good-to-great this season thus far (yeah, we all know the own goal, but he was having a monster of a game, and that was just a desperation move and made a mistake; it happens. He's not that bad at all). He's probably been our most consistent Dman, actually, but Karlsson would bump Larsson down to the 2nd pairing RHD spot, which is Russell's usual spot, so yeah, Russell would have to go the other way. It would have to be something like that and no more, and EK would have to tell management that he's incredibly open to extending with the Oilers, and will do everything he can to get a deal done before he possibly goes to market, or else it makes no sense to trade such assets for a rental -- even one as good as Karlsson. Has a superstar ever been dealt as a rental for a massive return in the last 10 years? I think I remember Gretzky being traded to St. Louis or something as a rental, but that was a LONG time ago, and I forget the return, and maybe that never even happened and I'm remembering wrongly. GMs just don't seem to be willing to do it, or can't do it -- likely because the offers aren't big enough to justify the trade. So yeah, don't count on the OP return if EK does go; if it were to go down it would almost be an unprecedented trade (unless he agrees to a sign and trade, of course), and Chia would get run out of town (I would hope) unless there was a promise to re-sign for 'market value' -- which we can give him with Drai and Russell going the other way -- or a sign and trade. I think that covers everything.

Last edited:

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Karlsson will resign with Ottawa something like $12Mx8 maybe a bit less but him and Doughty have obviously talked and want to see elite d-men move above $10m with the cap going up continually.

Him and Doughty are just being smart and making sure the negotiations start closer to their terms and get the idea of that kind of money out to the media and fans so the owners look like assholes if they try to play hardball.

Not a bad idea really.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
No chance this happens with only 1.5 years remaining to devastate their entire team of core players, less McDavid.

Cheaper options can be had with puck moving DMen with the AVs, Ducks and Wings.

We recently traded Vatanen so we have no defenseman we are interested in trading away anymore and even if we did it wouldn't be to division rival Oilers.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Don't think he will fetch that much...
He wants market value, but I bet he also wants to go to a winner. Doughty talks a lot too, but while he wants his worth, he also wants to win again.

Why would Karlsson go to the Oilers if they give up those assets? They're a bare bones team even if they lose Leon, that'd be hilariously stupid of Karlsson.

Reactions: Ori

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
He wants market value, but I bet he also wants to go to a winner. Doughty talks a lot too, but while he wants his worth, he also wants to win again.

Why would Karlsson go to the Oilers if they give up those assets? They're a bare bones team even if they lose Leon, that'd be hilariously stupid of Karlsson.

Haven't we all learned by now? These guys probably aren't leaving, they're leveraging and it's smart of them.

I doubt Tavares leaves.

Stamkos did a similar act.

It's become a thing and it works as far as I can tell.

Karlsson and Doughty are just saying "don't come at us with like $9m or something like PK got, start at $10 at least and we'll probably settle around $11 ish"

These guys see Eichel getting $10 and McDavid getting whatever he got (can't remember, $11.5 or something?) and thinking well these guys might be the elite future, but we're already elite and expect to get in that range.

Don't blame them at all for playing it like that.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Haven't we all learned by now? These guys probably aren't leaving, they're leveraging and it's smart of them.

I doubt Tavares leaves.

Stamkos did a similar act.

It's become a thing and it works as far as I can tell.

Karlsson and Doughty are just saying "don't come at us with like $9m or something like PK got, start at $10 at least and we'll probably settle around $11 ish"

These guys see Eichel getting $10 and McDavid getting whatever he got (can't remember, $11.5 or something?) and thinking well these guys might be the elite future, but we're already elite and expect to get in that range.

Don't blame them at all for playing it like that.

Except in this case, the Sens owner is some petulant man child that has shallow pockets and is very stingy about it. He just took on Duchene, he has to sign his best forward in Stone next year, as well as keeping Ceci.

Karlsson is likely looking at McDavid money. That's a good 6m more.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Except in this case, the Sens owner is some petulant man child that has shallow pockets and is very stingy about it. He just took on Duchene, he has to sign his best forward in Stone next year, as well as keeping Ceci.

Karlsson is likely looking at McDavid money. That's a good 6m more.

And he's the franchise so I doubt Melnyk is going to bat an eye about it, they'll pay the guy what he wants IMO, the question is if he wants to stay and I believe he already knows he wants to stay but him and Doughty are just upping the expectations for their level of Dmen. Also the Sens are 12th in cap hit going by capfriendly, they are only $2.5m under the cap vs the least spending teams who are $10 to $20 million under the cap.

Cheap owner yet they are very close to spending to the cap from what I'm looking at. Losing Karlsson for nothing or even futures would be bad, they'll gratefully pay the man.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
And he's the franchise so I doubt Melnyk is going to bat an eye about it, they'll pay the guy what he wants IMO, the question is if he wants to stay and I believe he already knows he wants to stay but him and Doughty are just upping the expectations for their level of Dmen. Also the Sens are 12th in cap hit going by capfriendly, they are only $2.5m under the cap vs the least spending teams who are $10 to $20 million under the cap.

Cheap owner yet they are very close to spending to the cap from what I'm looking at. Losing Karlsson for nothing or even futures would be bad, they'll gratefully pay the man.

The assumption is that Karlsson will even re-up right now. He, like Doughty, will likely wait to hit the market so they can hear what other teams will offer. So even if Melnyk wants to pony up, he has to wait until Karlsson is free to decide to see if he can some how keep him.

That has to suck for Ottawa and even LA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad