Proposal: Erik Karlsson to the Edmonton Oilers

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
No chance this happens with only 1.5 years remaining to devastate their entire team of core players, less McDavid.

Cheaper options can be had with puck moving DMen with the AVs, Ducks and Wings.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I know it's in vogue to try to scoop a whole bunch of high value assets from Edmonton for guys with very little term left, but no chance this happens. Karlsson will demand and get the moon and you can't possibly build a competitive roster with McDavid's salary up front and Karlsson's likely 12 million on the back end.

It would literally be McDavid and Karlsson and 12 AHLers against the world.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
EK has gone public ala Doughty, to say he's getting paid...a full year and a half early..............shots have been fired, he will be traded, but because he has done this, it does diminish his value somewhat...superstars never get the return that fans of that team, think they will return...

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Add a cheap depth forward coming to Edmonton from Ottawa and swap Pulujarvi for a 1st rounder and I'd do it. Hell, I'd do this anyway I'm sure, ha ha. It would be hard to build a team with any depth after this though, our drafting and development would need to get much, much better.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I know it's in vogue to try to scoop a whole bunch of high value assets from Edmonton for guys with very little term left, but no chance this happens. Karlsson will demand and get the moon and you can't possibly build a competitive roster with McDavid's salary up front and Karlsson's likely 12 million on the back end.

It literally wouldn't. We would have depth issues for sure, but the cap is going to go up significantly this summer (over 80 million likely), which would give us some leeway. Draisaitl and Larsson out is 12 million, so really we would just have to cheap out on one or two positions to make up for it. Still would hurt the depth of course, but having the best d-man and forward on the planet would give us a huge luxury.

I'm not sure why Ottawa would want 12 million in Drai and Larsson instead of 13 million of Karlsson and a scrub though.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
why would Ottawa want another winger that cant play centre.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
EK has gone public ala Doughty, to say he's getting paid...a full year and a half early..............shots have been fired, he will be traded, but because he has done this, it does diminish his value somewhat...superstars never get the return that fans of that team, think they will return...

You do realize that almost every single player who is up for a contract has said exactly what Karlsson and Doughty have said, right?

Both players said their top choice was to stay with their team, but it's a business and anything can happen. That's about as chiché an answer as anyone could give. They also need to protect their leverage in negotiations, and the best way to do that would be to hint at the possibility of signing somewhere else. What other leverage does a player have?

If Doughty or Karlsson said, "I'm signing with my team, no matter what." What would that do to their ability to demand the money they want?

Stop reading into it so deeply.

Plus, it would be pretty much a suicide move by the Sens to not sign him. The fan revolt would be off the charts.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

Better than the current team's McDavid and 12 AHLers.

(Sorry I don't actually think this just had to haha)

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
The EK deal will be interesting because:

1. He is super elite and his style of play shouldn't break down like more physical guys do.
2. He seems to be on record as wanting to get paid (a la Doughty)
3. Eugene Melnyk is extraordinarily cheap (see Turris trade)
4. EK is the entire franchise and they cannot afford to let him go

I could see Drai + Poolparty being the start of a deal for EK if only Drai wasn't signed for so much. With Drai @ 8.5M, I'm pretty sure even penny pincher Melnyk would rather spend the extra few million to keep EK.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Ottawa is only getting Draisatl if Karlsson agrees to an extension. Otherwise Drai is way too much to pay for a rental even though it's EK.

The problem is salary. Unless Edmonton retains, why wouldn't Ottawa just pay Karlsson? It would be more but no more than 4 million more, and EK is worth it. I think there would have to be a falling out between EK and Ottawa for this to happen. That or he wants way too much (14.000?) which would diminish his value in a trade.

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
The EK deal will be interesting because:

3. Eugene Melnyk is extraordinarily cheap (see Turris trade)

Melnyk is indeed extraordinarily cheap, but the Turris trade is a bad example of that: Duchene is making more money than Turris this year, and will very likely make more when he signs a new deal. Melnyk is cheap, but he has been willing to spend to get players like Duchene, Ryan, Phaneuf...

Karlsson will negotiate a contract between McDavid's and Kane's. I doubt the Sens lose the face of their franchise over a $2M difference.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
No chance this happens with only 1.5 years remaining to devastate their entire team of core players, less McDavid.

Cheaper options can be had with puck moving DMen with the AVs, Ducks and Wings.
You're not getting a cheap deal with us, especially since we just moved Vats.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
If Melnyk remains owner of the Sens, I just don't see him ok'ing this trade especially because of Draisaitl's contract. He would just give Karlsson that money and continue to have one of the best dmen in the league.

GoGoSens

Oct 27, 2017
If the oilers want Karlsson start with Drai + Pulj and a 1st in my mind would be a fair swap.

Edmonton would be dumb to do this trade Karlsson does not turn that team around.

They need to develop some depth, and they are too slow.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013

I’d bet on the AHLers with Karlsson and McD

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
why would Ottawa want another winger that cant play centre.

Drai isn't a winger. He just has incredible chemistry with McDavid, and because no one watches the games, when Drai is on a line with McDavid, most of the time he's the one taking the faceoffs. This year Leon is 55% in the circle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad