Proposal: Erik Karlsson to the Edmonton Oilers

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
The assumption is that Karlsson will even re-up right now. He, like Doughty, will likely wait to hit the market so they can hear what other teams will offer. So even if Melnyk wants to pony up, he has to wait until Karlsson is free to decide to see if he can some how keep him.

That has to suck for Ottawa and even LA.

I can absolutely see them both waiting until the last minute to sign, and doing the rounds like Stamkos did because that just helps them and their agent get the best deal even though they already know in their mind they'll just stay where they are.

And they have that week now I think where they can entertain offers from other teams and come back at their own with what they've been offered right?

I'm just saying I bet both Karlsson and Doughty both resign with their teams and I'll even say that Tavares will too. If I were betting my own money I'd easily put it on that, recent history supports it.

Hockey down under

Feb 13, 2017
Yeah doubt Karlsson goes anywhere. Ottawa's acquisition of Duchene would be a part of showing Karlsson that they are serious about contending.

If he was traded, it would never be as a rental. No team is going to pony up the assets required to move him and risk him leaving in a year and a half.

Value wise? Yeah Drai and a first isn't going to get it done unless that first is near the top of the first round (which so far it is looking like it could be)

Karlsson is arguably the best defensemen in the league. (in my opinion it isn't even arguable)

Draisaitl isn't a top 5 center in the league. I'd be hard pressed to fit him in the top 10 to be honest. Somewhere between 11-15 is where I'd have him. To move up from a center of that calibre to the best defensemen in the game would take a considerable add.

Only way I see Ottawa moving Karlsson is if they are thinking of rebuilding. They aren't. They'll pay Karlsson McDavid money or more to keep him

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Karlsson is great, but no way he gets as much as the OP suggests. Also, highly, highly doubt Leon is going anywhere, as he is playing well for them, is signed long term, is young, why would they move him?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I think he'd be better off in Winnipeg or Tampa Bay if not Ottawa, can't see him fitting in Edmonton at all.

Honestly? Karlsson is the kind of guy that could fit in with any team, we are talking one of the best defenceman in the past 20 years, he would have no trouble fitting in with Edmonton, Arizona, Detroit, or anyone else!

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I can absolutely see them both waiting until the last minute to sign, and doing the rounds like Stamkos did because that just helps them and their agent get the best deal even though they already know in their mind they'll just stay where they are.

And they have that week now I think where they can entertain offers from other teams and come back at their own with what they've been offered right?

I'm just saying I bet both Karlsson and Doughty both resign with their teams and I'll even say that Tavares will too. If I were betting my own money I'd easily put it on that, recent history supports it.
Stamkos never made it known he wanted what Karlsson and Drew want. Completely different. Karlsson literally just said no hometown discount I want my worth.

Well how do you find out your worth? You hear offers. How do you hear offers if you're still under contract..

Should I keep going?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad