Erik Karlsson III: The Norris Strikes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Karlsson, like this team, misses Spezza. The attack now goes through him 100% of the time he is on the ice. I wouldnt be surprised to see a forward pass it back to him in our end while on a breakaway.

Its just to predictable.

As for his defensive woes....its frustrating. His backchecking looks pretty half assed a lot of the time. I think he is trying to do too much offensively.

If Spezza was still here Karlsson would have 10 more points right now and no one would be complaining. All of the heat would be on Spezza. This city need a skill guy to ***** about. Many predicted that would be directed at Karlsson once Spezza was gone, but I have to say I am surprised how quickly it has happened.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter how many points any of the players have, the only thing that matters is wins.

The simple fact is it is hard to win when the top players are leading the team in negative +/-.

Spezza was here last year and people were concern about EK's defensive zone play and turnovers.

Two things saved him from more media attention,
1. Spezza was playing poorly,
2. EK was given latitude due to his achilles injury.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
At the end of the day it doesn't matter how many points any of the players have, the only thing that matters is wins.

The simple fact is it is hard to win when the top players are leading the team in negative +/-.

Spezza was here last year and people were concern about EK's defensive zone play and turnovers.

He was also 14th in NHL scoring and 1st among defencemen with a 13 point gap. This year he is 78th in NHL scoring and 9th amongst defenseman (10 behind the leader).

I dont think there would be nearly as much heat on him if he was 14th in NHL scoring right now.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Only a person that hasn't watched the Sens play this year would contend EK's partner is the cause of his problems.

The Sens D corp is a combined minus 13, 12 of which are EK's contribution.

While the value of +/- can be debated, when compared to the other D it does indicate EK hasn't been stellar defensively.

I am well aware his supporters are going to find Garrioch's comment harsh, the fact is there is more than a little truth to what he said.

It has more to do with Karlsson playing half the game on a terrible team. The sheer fact that Karlsson gets the puck out of the zone more often than the other D makes him our best defensive D.

Just look at Karlsson's WOWYs (corsi w/ someone, corsi away from someone)

With Phillips:46.1, without - 51.2 (Phillips, 41.9 without Karlsson)
With Boro: 51.3, without - 48.6 (Boro 44.6 without Karlsson)
With Cowen: 47.8, without - 49.4 (Cowen 47.6 without Karlsson)
With Weir: 57, without - 48. (weir 49.8 without Karlsson)

Every single defender benefits significantly playing with Karlsson (aside from Cowen who's change is insignificant). I didn't include Gryba because they've only spent 12 minutes together. This is pretty clear cut that playing with Karlsson is beneficial, not detrimental.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

thats a very simple way to look at it..i rather just surround my skilled players with other skilled players. We have won many many games with spezza leading the way

Spezza with stone would have been so much fun to watch

Oh well time to find a new number 1 center

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

See here's what's wrong with your assessment, Karlsson is a proven winner. And he steps up to the challenge.

Everytime Ottawa has put out an average or better team he has been the best player far and away. Even now he still is the best player outside of Anderson and Lehner most nights.

You can not tell me Karlsson needs to stop being a negative so we can win games when he's playing with borderline NHLer linemates for half his minutes. It just doesn't work like that. Not even the legendary Crosby could get his team outside of a basement pick when his team is trash.

Now I'm not saying Sens are trash, far from it. But we far from good too. Experience and better pieces in next few years will make wonders of differences.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Here are the problems as I see it.

Ryan is the only + player that has been in our top 6 all year.

Turris hasn't been the same this year (possibly because of increased role).

Also, Karlsson hasn't been creating the same offensive pressure imo. I think a lot of this has to do with being paired with Phillips and Boro. When he's with those two (in particular Phillips) we just seem to get far fewer shots towards the opposition. My impression is that without a viable secondary option on the backend for a breakout, the opposition has less trouble clogging the passing lanes, and can pressure Karlsson more aggressively. With Methot last year, or Wiercioch this year, Karlsson could pass the puck to his partner and either stay back as a fail safe, or jump up to crate another passing option for his partner. Phillips and Boro lack the skill to make the pass and just either dump it in at the redline, or give it right back to Karlsson.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
They re overplaying him. He played 34 minutes last night.

Definately, Karlsson should not play more than 25-27 minutes a night, 34 minutes is ridiculous. Can't believe Methot is still on the IR.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Would you like to use the turnover number instead? A lot more revealing.

Sure, but don't forget to also mention the best shutdown defender at number 4. Or Subban at number 2. Yet they both have 2-6 minutes less ice-time per game and the amount of times he has the puck is much more.

Lol.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Would you like to use the turnover number instead? A lot more revealing.

L2tgvg0.png

I just revealed Karlsson is on a list with a ton of good player. Uh oh.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Sure, but don't forget to also mention the best shutdown defender at number 4. Or Subban at number 2. Yet they both have 2-6 minutes less ice-time per game and the amount of times he has the puck is much more.

Lol.

Subban is definately not very good defensively. If you want to compare to good all around players you should take a look at Keith, Pietrangelo, Weber, Giordano, Doughty, Ekman-Larsson lol

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Anyone think its may be hard to build a team around a strictly offensive defensemen? We say karlsson is a number 1 but is he really in the conventional sense? Most great teams are led by defense first number 1s offense isnt even required its only a bonus.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Anyone think its may be hard to build a team around a strictly offensive defensemen? We say karlsson is a number 1 but is he really in the conventional sense? Most great teams are led by defense first number 1s offense isnt even required its only a bonus.

I have to say I'm thinking the same way (obviously). I have a hard time thinking a team can consistently win when your first paring and best defensemen has a hard time catching up defensively. Sure he's doing his thing offensively and that's great but If you look at first paring defensemen on any other team on the league (let's say the best defensemen on every team in the league) and I believe Karlsson is either last or 29th on the defensive side.

He's porbably first or second on offense thoo.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014

I would be shocked if Subban didn't lead his team to a cup in the near future.

Karlsson2Turris*

For people wanting management to go and get Karlsson a partner, it's not so easy. Top 2-3 defenceman aren't available for cheap and there wasn't really any good UFA LD's this year. Imo to get top #2-3 defenceman, you get them from the draft.

Imagine:
Haniffin-Karlsson
or
Kylington-Karlsson

Sick.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

There's lonly 1 player like karlsson so it's hard to compare.
That said, good teams are usually built with a lot of good players, this usually helps the best ones look good and vice versa.

Our team is inexperienced and learning to walk before it runs. Many top dmen would look pedestrian on our team.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
For people wanting management to go and get Karlsson a partner, it's not so easy. Top 2-3 defenceman aren't available for cheap and there wasn't really any good UFA LD's this year. Imo to get top #2-3 defenceman, you get them from the draft.

Imagine:
Haniffin-Karlsson
or
Kylington-Karlsson

Sick.

Erhoff? Talk about exactly what this team needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig