Mar 16, 2012
1st!

dynamic_resize

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
About time we had a better photo. last one was too depressing. :handclap:

Edit:

I'd prefer to target a D in free agency. Hopefully someone will sign in Ottawa to play with EK.

And Ceci should be far, far ahead of Cowen on the untouchable list

D'oh! Silly me. Yes, I forgot to put Ceci there. Was trying to keep the list as short as possible by not adding Puempel, some other Bingo kids and some other roster guys, and in the process completely forgot about Ceci. Ceci is definitely part of the untouchable core.

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Hopefully this player shows up again with the same determination he had back then to be the best. Still 50+ games to go here and he has all the tools to turn his season around: skating ability, smart stick, excellent positioning, timing, vision, and most of all heart.

A lot here like to blame who he plays with, I would just rather see EK play his game. I thought in the Boston game, it was clear from what I watched that Cameron may have asked him to simplify his game, make easier plays. If he can continue with that style of play, his offence will come out of solid, defensive plays.

81 goals allowed in 29 games. Not bad overall, just that we only have 76 goals. Dallas, if I recall, have allowed 103.

I think a lot of HF members are frustrated with his play, myself included, but by and large I haven't seen a lot of the "frustrated" saying to trade him. I don't want to speak for others but the tone of the "frustrated" is we know he can play better, we have all seen it. We just want that player back!:(

Like I said, 50+ games to go, let's hope he can regain his form.

simplefan

May 25, 2008
To be honest, he's been progressing slowly since last season. I don't know if you see what I see but he seems to have regained a good part of his agility. He can walk the line. He can kind of pivot. He gets more shots through (which he couldnt do that often this season and last).

I see the issue is more mental. He is still adjusting his game to the double coverage that he gets and the D partner carousel doesn't help.
He either needs a partner to attract some attention too or forwards to be in position because when he's getting caught, most of his linemates are not where they supposed to be for many reasons.

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Well, looks like the Ottawa Sun's campaign to run Karlsson out of town is in full force.

"Garrioch: "Has Chris Phillips been that bad? No.
Has he been a victim of playing with Erik Karlsson? Yes."

Hopefully that's just a poorly constructed sentence because holy ****.

BigBush*

Well, looks like the Ottawa Sun's campaign to run Karlsson out of town is in full force.

Wait, Phillips has been a victim of Karlsson? Should be the other way around ffs

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I think it's true Karlsson has made a ton of mistakes this yr & those mistakes end up with two on ones many times, Karlsson's giveaways this yr have forced his defence partner to cover for him constantly & IMO that can wear out a player. It's why I think Cowen was playing so bad with Karlsson & is now playing much better with a safer partner in Ceci. Karlsson needs a defensive defenceman to play with like Methot & to a lesser degree Boro. Phillips is too old to be covering for Karlsson for over 20 minutes a game it's too much for the guy. Karlsson has to take some responsibility for the way he plays & we are seeing it again tonight, some nights he needs to superman to cover his ass.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

This cant be an actual opinion, right?

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
What he means is that Phillips isnt good enough to be paired with Karlsson, given the risks that Karlsson takes and the amount of minutes he plays. Its true, if Phillips was a 3rd pairing DMan he would be far more consistent and would make fewer mistakes. He's playing badly because he's being used as a #2/3DMan, rather than a 4/5/6.

BigBush*

What he means is that Phillips isnt good enough to be paired with Karlsson, given the risks that Karlsson takes and the amount of minutes he plays. Its true, if Phillips was a 3rd pairing DMan he would be far more consistent and would make fewer mistakes. He's playing badly because he's being used as a #2/3DMan, rather than a 4/5/6.

No, that's what he should of said. But I don't think that's what he meant, he's an idiot

Karlsson2Turris*

Garrioch and Brennan are bitter because they wanted their buddy CP3 to be named captain.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Karlsson played very well tonight.

He played okay.
He whined to the ref early on in the game and was slow to get out into play.
He pointed at the netting to indicate no goal, play continued and goal against.
He did some nice puck movement on the powerplay.
He helped exit the zone pretty well.

He's nowhere near 2012 form, that's for sure. He can be much better. And has to be much better if this team is going to make the playoffs.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
well i suppose not every second of the 34mins is going to be perfect

he's sublime with the puck, the breakouts are so dependable from him

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
A lot here like to blame who he plays with, I would just rather see EK play his game.

You do realize both have a direct correlation with one another right?

MoO said it perfectly in another thread, Karlsson can't be the best he can be or play his game when he's carrying both the offensive AND defensive responsibilities in his pairing.

Again, I'd welcome any evidence of defenders performing better than Karlsson with the a worse or equal defensive partner.

When Karlsson has played with Methot/Edler/Average Kuba he has looked stellar and top of the league. When he played with Jared Pylon Cowen last year and bottom 6 this year he has looked ok for Karlsson standards.

Coincidence? You'd be a fool to think not.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
He played okay.

He's nowhere near 2012 form, that's for sure. He can be much better. And has to be much better if this team is going to make the playoffs.

To say he is no where near 2012 is a patent lie. That or you have fuzzy memories. He was also buffered by Gonchar and we had a healthy Methot at his side. Karlsson having a dependable defensive partner is what will make him successful. Right now he and Ryan are the most talented players on our team, with Zibanejad taking up line as time goes on.

simplefan

May 25, 2008
To say he is no where near 2012 is a patent lie. That or you have fuzzy memories. He was also buffered by Gonchar and we had a healthy Methot at his side. Karlsson having a dependable defensive partner is what will make him successful. Right now he and Ryan are the most talented players on our team, with Zibanejad taking up line as time goes on.

Yes...I think he's close to his 2012 level for some parts of his game (offensive , skating, ect..) and past that for some other parts of his game (defensive). I mean it's more difficult than it seems.
It looks like Karlsson is playing against a heavy coverage and it really started vs the Rangers in the 2012 playoffs.
Defensively on his own, he's been fine so far. He's getting stronger and simpler in his own end. Last game was really solid defense from him.He was on point on the breakout. Good outlet passes, stretch passes.

Offensively is where it gets tricky. He gets either covered by two guys or have a winger agressively chasing the puck. Most of the other teammates are not in position and there it goes, he's caught.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He played okay.

He played well? His positioning on two goals was horrendous. The turnover at the blue line on the pp when he had all day was also lazy. He missed the net from the middle of the ice multiple times. I expect much much better and so should everyone else.

Its not that I don't want him or want to run him out of town but everyone around here seems to be blind to his play. I am ok with mistakes as long as he is doing the things he is good at right which right now he isn't.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Karlsson, like this team, misses Spezza. The attack now goes through him 100% of the time he is on the ice. I wouldnt be surprised to see a forward pass it back to him in our end while on a breakaway.

Its just to predictable.

As for his defensive woes....its frustrating. His backchecking looks pretty half assed a lot of the time. I think he is trying to do too much offensively.

If Spezza was still here Karlsson would have 10 more points right now and no one would be complaining. All of the heat would be on Spezza. This city need a skill guy to ***** about. Many predicted that would be directed at Karlsson once Spezza was gone, but I have to say I am surprised how quickly it has happened.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
No, that's what he should of said. But I don't think that's what he meant, he's an idiot

Only a person that hasn't watched the Sens play this year would contend EK's partner is the cause of his problems.

The Sens D corp is a combined minus 13, 12 of which are EK's contribution.

While the value of +/- can be debated, when compared to the other D it does indicate EK hasn't been stellar defensively.

I am well aware his supporters are going to find Garrioch's comment harsh, the fact is there is more than a little truth to what he said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad