Player Discussion Erik Karlsson Discussion Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Boucher needs to find a way to utilize and maximize offence out of Karlsson. Most games he looks like a shutdown defenceman as opposed to EK65. Need to promote 2-way play, but you have to leverage the talent there and maybe develop an aggressive game around Karlsson to once again be an offensive catalyst.

Quite frankly, despite his positive contribution on the backend, Karlsson hasn't been as much of an impact player as he has been in the past. Top-5 defensively? I think so based on his overall play this year. But we need Karlsson to be Karlsson.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
This is literally the only time(or maybeee second) time he has done that this season; he did it more often in previous seasons-- i'd love to see this "quite often" claim for this season.

What? He does the no look behind the back pass almost every game. Just not every one of them get intercepted and a goal against ensues.

This is the first season I remember him doing frequently. Season's past he would just skate it out himself

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
No, I've had that same attitude for the past 7/8 years.

Naw, very clear distinction between then and now. I remember clearly, but so be it. lol @ lash.

It's a Karlsson thread in the Sens board, i unno why you acting like it's suppose to appear 100% foolproof with objective analysis. That's what im saying, who cares what a few say, call them out on it but to refer to them as subjects and **** is just really dumb and pretentious, would never have expected that from you.

What? He does the no look behind the back pass almost every game. Just not every one of them get intercepted and a goal against ensues.

This is the first season I remember him doing frequently. Season's past he would just skate it out himself

Yes, he does that play and this season it's been successful and absolutely effective 95% of the time. I presumed you meant he does it and they score on us often, my bad if that isnt what u meant, it just seemed so as it seemed linked. If he does a play that gets out of the zone 49 times out of 50 but the 50th time it's in the back of our net, I hope he continues doing it.

Last edited:

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
This is literally the only time(or maybeee second) time he has done that this season; he did it more often in previous seasons-- i'd love to see this "quite often" claim for this season.

lmao, this guy watches a few prospect games, gets a few inside sources on a couple of prospects and now develops a new holier than thou attitude

relax, buddy, just because others have different opinions from you don't mean nothing on a hockey forum, and like the guy above said, EK is the first generational talent the Sens have ever had, obviously they're gonna be a bit over the top sometimes, just like any other fanbase who has a generational talent.
Lmfao, why is this so accurate. I'm hype about EK and I don't care.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Boucher needs to find a way to utilize and maximize offence out of Karlsson. Most games he looks like a shutdown defenceman as opposed to EK65. Need to promote 2-way play, but you have to leverage the talent there and maybe develop an aggressive game around Karlsson to once again be an offensive catalyst.

Quite frankly, despite his positive contribution on the backend, Karlsson hasn't been as much of an impact player as he has been in the past. Top-5 defensively? I think so based on his overall play this year. But we need Karlsson to be Karlsson.

I agree. There's about a dozen players in the league that coaches should, generally, just let do their thing. One of them is EK.

That said, this new style of play has made Methot much more expendable in that Methot's added value his entire time with us was his ability to read EK and be their defensively when he needed to be. I think EK, within the system, is easier to pair.

But, for me, if we've got Methot I think we should green light EK.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Naw, very clear distinction between then and now. I remember clearly, but so be it. lol @ lash.

It's a Karlsson thread in the Sens board, i unno why you acting like it's suppose to appear 100% foolproof with objective analysis. That's what im saying, who cares what a few say, call them out on it but to refer to them as subjects and **** is just really dumb and pretentious, would never have expected that from you.

It is what it is, I call it like I see it. This time I used a euphemism that seems to have caused a stir, apologies if that's the case. Like I said, I've just (aka now) gotten fed up with it. That's why I don't speak out often, I'm not usually fed up. Obviously there's a reason I've spoken out on it.

I mean, yeah, objective analysis is something I value. I realize it's not going to happen here for the most part, but it gets tiring seeing the same things over and over.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Bak on topic, Karlsson needs to shoot more, looking for the perfect play too often. Let it rip, his shot is fantastic.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Totally agreed. I want to see Exciting Karlsson again.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Bak on topic, Karlsson needs to shoot more, looking for the perfect play too often. Let it rip, his shot is fantastic.

Teams have adapted to having, at the very least, one guy standing right infront of EK at all times. He is still a mastermind at getting it through on net, but they've formulated a wall of sorts particularly in his location.

In fact, on the PP, Turris is absolutely wide open with frequent clean looks at the net while EK and Hoffman are watched closely--Karlsson even more so than Hoffman, because Karlsson can rip it and pass it with equal ferocity

Our hope was Brassard was going to be a playmaker on the PP for EK to rip it, like the few times we saw in pre-season when the theoretically PP was clicking, but alas; Turris nor Brassard are good enough playmakers to feed EK with great looks at the net too.

On 5on5, EK always has at least one guy on him now.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Teams have adapted to having, at the very least, one guy standing right infront of EK at all times. He is still a mastermind at getting it through on net, but they've formulated a wall of sorts particularly in his location.

In fact, on the PP, Turris is absolutely wide open with frequent clean looks at the net while EK and Hoffman are watched closely--Karlsson even more so than Hoffman, because Karlsson can rip it and pass it with equal ferocity

Our hope was Brassard was going to be a playmaker on the PP for EK to rip it, like the few times we saw in pre-season when the theoretically PP was clicking, but alas; Turris nor Brassard are good enough playmakers to feed EK with great looks at the net too.

On 5on5, EK always has at least one guy on him now.

On the PP yes, it's harder to get his shot off than previously, but he should still be shooting the puck regardless. It's what will make the pp dangerous, right now it's only Turris/Hoffman one tees from the half wall or down low to Stone for a quick pass to the slot. It's become tiresome knowing that exactly 1 of those 3 plays are coming up.

I was talking more about his giving up looks, which has been happening frequently this year. I mean, every D is supposed to be covered 5 v 5, but it know what you mean. His shot totals are wayyyy down, and it isn't just this season Karlsson has gotten attention. He needs to shoot a lot more often.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015

He need to do wristle shot more.. he always goes for the big slap shot.

2 seasons ago he was one of the top shooting player in the league. He wasn't going for the slap shot. He had 2x20 goals season because of that.

Low wristle for rebound is the way to go sometimes.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think it's clear we are getting a little defensive over karlsson. To be honest. I haven't heard much criticism of him over the last few years. Every commentator just drools over him and won't even bring up his mistakes

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/erik-karlsson-doesnt-look-like-norris-contender-season/

This is the most ignorant article I've ever read. The guy clearly hasn't watched any Sens games at all. "How is Karlsson spending more time in his Dzone all of a sudden?"??? This guy obviously never heard about roles, matchups, deployments and those sort of things. And I mean "maybe not a top 10 Dman this season"... lol... most Sens fans agree that this is the best from EK we've seen since the slice. What an ****t!

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Pretty sure Andrew Berkshire, the guy who wrote that article, is a big advanced stats guy.

Karlsson's advanced stats are worse than last year, but anyone with a working set of eyes and a fully-functional brain that has seen him play the past two seasons knows his overall game is more impressive this year.

Anyone who uses advanced stats to come to conclusions without watching the games is an idiot who should not be trusted.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Pretty sure Andrew Berkshire, the guy who wrote that article, is a big advanced stats guy.

Karlsson's advanced stats are worse than last year, but anyone with a working set of eyes and a fully-functional brain that has seen him play the past two seasons knows his overall game is more impressive this year.

Anyone who uses advanced stats to come to conclusions without watching the games is an idiot who should not be trusted.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

Karlsson has been much better overall, though he obviously has had the reins put on him somewhat.

Just seeing those graphs as an example to prove his point is enough to know it's bogus

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I personally would prefer karlsson keeping the opposition in their own zone.

If karlsson is soending *alot* more time in his own zone then I don't think that's a good thing.

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/erik-karlsson-doesnt-look-like-norris-contender-season/

This is the most ignorant article I've ever read. The guy clearly hasn't watched any Sens games at all. "How is Karlsson spending more time in his Dzone all of a sudden?"??? This guy obviously never heard about roles, matchups, deployments and those sort of things. And I mean "maybe not a top 10 Dman this season"... lol... most Sens fans agree that this is the best from EK we've seen since the slice. What an ****t!

ya what a brutal article, jeez Louise. That would never happen if it was someone else. I have no idea how any sane writer can conclude Karlsson may not even be top 10 this year, let alone top 3. What a joke of an article.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Anyone who makes conclusions after just watching 1-2 games player play without backing it up with advanced stats is an idiot. Just look at the Burns bashing in this thread 2-3 pages ago or Senators prospects thread for that matter.
Honestly, why should I watch Phoenix Coyotes play over and over again to get an idea what Hanzal is as a player. Advanced stats give you a good perspective at things if you know how to use them. Unfortunately most people don't.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Anyone who makes conclusions after just watching 1-2 games player play without backing it up with advanced stats is an idiot. Just look at the Burns bashing in this thread 2-3 pages ago or Senators prospects thread for that matter.
Honestly, why should I watch Phoenix Coyotes play over and over again to get an idea what Hanzal is as a player. Advanced stats give you a good perspective at things if you know how to use them. Unfortunately most people don't.

Drawing conclusions after watching 1-2 games with or without advanced stats is idiotic. There more you watch hockey the more your realize this.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
:help:Amazing! Most articles still have Weber as a Norris contender, ahead of Karlsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad