Erik Karlsson - Crosby is a fair player

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
Oh please, almost every NHL player is dirty. It's practically the nature of the sport. A game going at blazing speeds where grown men have sticks in their hands and are allowed physical contact will not be clean. Can you name one player who doesn't slash, punches during scrums, or put his glove in other players' faces?

I haven't seen a single NHL player who wasn't "dirty". I call that normal. Dirty are the ones who deliberately intend to injure other players or really go overboard. Crosby is one of many players to slash people frequently.

Joe Sakic? Honest question, I don't even remember anymore.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
nice or not nice, dont really give a **** what karlsson thinks about Crosby. dont see why anyone else would either

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Joe Sakic? Honest question, I don't even remember anymore.

He was no different. I don't think we would have seen (or did see) a nut shot from him, but lets not kid ourselves about how he played the game when the stakes where on the line.

As someone else said, most viewers unless they're fans of Pittsburgh do not see 90% of the **** that Crosby (and to a lesser extent Malkin) put up with game to game. What they do see is "the same thing that everyone has to put up with or fight through" - which is true. But then they see every very magnified response to this hits, wacks and slashes (due to who these players are) and suddenly they're "dirty".

Crosby is not a dirty player (that nut shot not withstanding). Honestly, he doesn't normally even play all that close to the line. But when you're getting mugged and cross checked and hacked and wacked on a nightly basis of course you're going to respond. It's part of the game and he has to fight and play through it. But if him responding makes him "dirty", then wouldn't every single player that does the same to him also be "dirty"?

Last edited:

JimsDoors

May 11, 2010
Tri-State County
Crosby dishes it out from time to time - the nut shots earlier in the season were definitely dirty, for instance - but he also gets manhandled a LOT and very rarely does anything significant come of it. So while he's definitely not gonna win the Lady Byng anytime soon, I think "fair" is a reasonable assessment.
More like "the league" very rarely does anything about it. They'd rather let their face of the league continue to take head shots. They'd rather have grit and grind, not skill.

Sad

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Haven't there been a lot of players who have called Crosby out? I'm sure Dubinsky has. Hartnell probably.

Hot feelings though. Maybe he's a little biased when it comes to Crosby.

The only players who call Crosby out are grinders who do the same stuff trying to divert attention from themselves. Hartnell and Dubinsky? Really?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Crosby isn't dirty, he's a ****ing hockey player. One who is generally under the microscope.

I like my superstars like Crosby, even his whining is vastly overstated. Dude plays a hard nosed skilled game. I ****ing hate the penguins too.

Griffin6612

Jun 28, 2007
Other hockey player says he's fair.

Hf " who cares what pro players say, I think hes dirty"

Called him fair, and honestly that's a good statement.

2XPRO31

Jul 13, 2007
Why would Karlsson come out and talk **** about Crosby before the big game

TedLundy

Dec 2, 2014
Every hockey player is a bit dirty, which is needed. I don't know about Lidstrom though, might be an exception.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
Haven't there been a lot of players who have called Crosby out? I'm sure Dubinsky has. Hartnell probably.

Hot feelings though. Maybe he's a little biased when it comes to Crosby.

Crosby should be suspended for breaking Dubinsky's stick with his neck.

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
I'm not a fan of Crosby at all and really hated him in the early days, with all the whining he used to do, but Karlsson is right here. Crosby plays the line no more than anyone else in the league. It's the refs and the league who let him get away with it more when he does cross the line, those few times.

Malkin is a way dirtier player than Crosby imo.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
What's he going to say, "I don't know how his friends and family could cheer for him?" Players would never say that.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Im a Penguins fan and I say both Crosby and Malkin are little bit dirty. Fair but dirty. Thats the nature of the sport and they don't go over the line like Cooke, Neal (although still loved him) and others.

If they do cross the line, look at what Malkin did with Wheeler (which is say was more of a mistake than anything, but thats another discussion), he did answer in the next game.

You also need to realize that they are two of the top three players in the league, they will take a lot more abuse than the average player.

Edit: Yes, they have crossed the line like once each. Mistakes happens.

Last edited:

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
I'm not a fan of Crosby at all and really hated him in the early days, with all the whining he used to do, but Karlsson is right here. Crosby plays the line no more than anyone else in the league. It's the refs and the league who let him get away with it more when he does cross the line, those few times.

Malkin is a way dirtier player than Crosby imo.

He is a little dirty I agree, and love it. But how has he separated himself from Crosby? Which also has an edge to his game that I like. This season, Crosby went over the line 1 time, against Methot. Its not his fault that he doesn't get suspended even though that was a dirty play. Malkin had a dirty hit on Wheeler (I still think that was more of a mistake and not as bad as some people claimed), no suspension but he answered to a fight with Wheeler the very next game.

Both of the plays with an edge, but receive a lot more abuse than they give out. They are far from a Corey Perry.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
What's he going to say, "I don't know how his friends and family could cheer for him?" Players would never say that.

From the quote, he volunteered that opinion without being asked if Crosby is "fair". (Did he mean what we think it means, btw?)

He has spoken up in defense of other players spontaneously, like PK when reporters were down on him.

Your downplaying is unwarranted.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Unlike fans, players don't usually get super emotional about each other. They play the game on the ice, and understand what's going on way more.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Oh please, almost every NHL player is dirty. It's practically the nature of the sport. A game going at blazing speeds where grown men have sticks in their hands and are allowed physical contact will not be clean. Can you name one player who doesn't slash, punches during scrums, or put his glove in other players' faces?

I haven't seen a single NHL player who wasn't "dirty". I call that normal. Dirty are the ones who deliberately intend to injure other players or really go overboard. Crosby is one of many players to slash people frequently.

Shocking that anyone would make this much sense.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
It's almost as if a superstar player has a better grasp of the ******** another superstar player puts up with than HF does. Staggering stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad