LeBrun: Erik Karlsson and Sharks will discuss contract extension after all-star break

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Joe Thonrton - 100+ point player in his prime, hit 80 pts once from age 31 and beyond
Pavel Datsyuk - 87+ pts in four straight years in his prime, never scored over 70 pts again in his career after 31 (had more injuries but his production rate fell off too)
Bergeron - Pretty much the exception here but still hasn't hit more than 70 pts since early on his career, he makes a living off being the best defensive forward in the game and netting 50-65 ish pts every year
Getzlaf - I think its safe to call him an 80+ pt player in his prime (happened nearly four times in 7 years in his prime with one of those years being 76 pts in 67 games) and has not eclipsed 75 pts once since turning 30

if anything, you just gave four examples reinforcing my point that a dropoff for Couture is liked and to be expected by the time he is 33

Couture will likely decline to some extent but he will still be a quality contributor which is all that the team cares about. If he can't play the pivot at some point, they will move him to wing like they did with Pavelski. The Sharks aren't going to have a problem filling spots when they need to. It's part of the business.

Reactions: Gecklund

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Really, how so? Him dropping 17 points off his current career high into his mid 30s is unreasonable? I get youre a fanboy, but his career point per 82 game pace is a whopping 62. Players arent holding their career avg point production post 31 and into their mid 30s

Fan boy lol. Hardly. Hawkey talk?? speak for yourself.

I do as scoring is on the rise and he is playing with great young players in tere prime that can carry him. hes having a career year and if he continues to play with his linemates. Hertl Meier which is likely. No reason to think he doesnt have 5 more really productive years. which is only a couple past you saying hes gonna drop to 50 point pace like your numbers suggest

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Couture will likely decline to some extent but he will still be a quality contributor which is all that the team cares about. If he can't play the pivot at some point, they will move him to wing like they did with Pavelski. The Sharks aren't going to have a problem filling spots when they need to. It's part of the business.

And you dont think moving from center to wing will also lower his production output as well? That typically happens when career centers move to wing as well

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Fan boy lol. Hardly. Hawkey talk?? speak for yourself.

I do as scoring is on the rise and he is playing with great young players in tere prime that can carry him. hes having a career year and if he continues to play with his linemates. Hertl Meier which is likely. No reason to think he doesnt have 5 more really productive years. which is only a couple past you saying hes gonna drop to 50 point pace like your numbers suggest

I am not the one arguing with father time, you are

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Sorry, centers drastically fall off a cliff in performance at around 31/32.

Couture, who is about to turn 30, does not have another 5-6 years of high level play left. Couture at his peak throughout his career is a mid 60 pt player. Him regressing like most centers probably has him topping out at around 50 pts in a few years

Thornton at his peak was a 100+ point player. By the time he hit 32, he was a 70-80 pt player

I’ve been watching the Sharks closely since 2009-2010 and Thornton’s best season in that time frame was 2015-2016 by far.

Couture is on pace for 76 adjusted points this season, his previous career highs were 75, 72, 71. If he remains healthy, he will likely remain around 60-65 adjusted points (per 82 games) for the next 5 years, which will be closer to 60-65 points in this higher scoring era.

At this point though, it really doesn’t matter all that much. Tomas Hertl is the guy that drives the bus at forward and he is 25 years old, currently having a career year despite very difficult defensive usage. I don’t consider him a true elite superstar #1C, but he’s right up there with the Johansen/Horvat class of players that most HFers refer to as #1Cs.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like this is going to go the route of Brent Burns on HF boards.

"Oh,he’s gonna go to X team and they’re going to be scary with him, he’s not going to stay in SJ”
Resigns in SJ
“LOL what a bad contract for a guy who’s gonna suck. Too much money and term for an overrated guy.”
Continues to be phenomenal player.

boylerroom

Jan 2, 2012
PRofKA
If I'm karlsson I'm not tying myself to that sinking ship for more than 2-3 years

Couture turns 30 in two months
Pavelski turns 35 this year
Burns turns 34 in two months
Thornton is basically done
Vlasic turns 32 in two months

That's going to be a very old core in two years

This is hilarious.

Evander Kane 27
Timo Meier 22
Tomas Hertl 25
Jonas Donskoi 26
Martin Jones 29
and if they resign Karlsson 28

Oh and Couture is 29 actually, only a year older than Karlsson.

And you say all this as if DW has no track record of replacing aging veterans with younger elite players.

Sharks are going to be just fine. And EK would do well to resign there.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
This is hilarious.

Evander Kane 27
Timo Meier 22
Tomas Hertl 25
Jonas Donskoi 26
Martin Jones 29

And you say all this as if DW has no track record of replacing aging veterans with younger elite players.

oh you clearly didnt read my post that said Couture turns 30 in two months, implying he is currently 29 so...

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Pretty sure he wants to see what Tampa offers him.

You have any proof? All I am reading is pure speculation regarding EK and Tampa. I get that he’s buddies with Hedman but they have Point and eventually Vas and Sergachev that will need raises on top of filling out their roster. I doubt EK65 takes a discounts the lightning players that re-signed took. He has no allegiance to them.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Pretty sure he wants to see what Tampa offers him.

I don't quite get this statement. Financially, Tampa Bay isn't going to be able to top San Jose's offer. In terms of the team...well, he knows what their situation is.

Karlsson will go to free agency if he doesn't like San Jose, if he doesn't like the team's future, or because he is chasing a super-high-dollar contract. Theoretically, he could leave if the Sharks don't make a competitive offer, but I don't think that will be the case.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
We've been getting old/choker comments since 2009.
People also project their own concerns onto players. Of course all that matters to you is a Cup, you’re a fan, it’s the only thing that’s supposed to matter. Even then, things can change for teams very fast. Didn’t Kovalchuk want to win a Cup? I hope he also considered other factors, because that first one isn’t looking so great at the moment.

After everything Karlsson has been through the last year, you think what he keeps coming back to is how old Joe Thornton is?

Last edited:

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I can easily seeing him resign in San Jose. They have the cap space to pay him and they are a good team. Now I wouldn't call them a contender per say but they will be making thr playoffs on a regular basis and are mile ahead of Ottawa.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
This is hilarious.

Evander Kane 27
Timo Meier 22
Tomas Hertl 25
Jonas Donskoi 26
Martin Jones 29

I think EK should sign with the Lightning to play with Hedman

Jumpavleau

Feb 6, 2013
California
FYI... per Elliotte Friedman on the 31 Thoughts pod, San Jose can’t sign Karlsson to 8 years until after the trade deadline since he wasn’t on their reserve list at the time of last year’s trade deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00