LeBrun: Erik Karlsson and Sharks will discuss contract extension after all-star break

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
On hfboards, it seems like so many people focus more on prospect pools and minor league rankings more than the actual success of the NHL club. Sharks haven't had a "great prospect pool" for many years too along with the aging core and all other reasons why the end times are near for them. Yet, year after year, they are right there as a solid playoff team at least. While all the teams bragging about their prospect pools and youth and bright futures are the ones who are hit or miss.

Rather than worrying about what random hfboards people think of the future of a team, Sharks seem to be more focused on being a good team year after year. As fans, why worry about anything more than that?
I mean this board is called HockeysFuture. I agree that I don’t think the sharks have had a great prospect pool in quite some time (however not as bad as it is now) and they still pump out competitive teams. My point was that the core isn’t going to be able to do it that much longer and there’s not much there as far as prospects with high end nhl upside + a slim to none chance at landing a top tier prospect in the next 3 years with the draft picks available. There’s for sure more reason for concern for the future after the next couple seasons than there’s been in past years imo. Especially when you consider the landscape of the league getting younger and faster every year.

Absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying it day by day as a fan. You don’t have to respond to other people’s comments about the long term future of your organization if you don’t wish to.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I mean this board is called HockeysFuture. I agree that I don’t think the sharks have had a great prospect pool in quite some time (however not as bad as it is now) and they still pump out competitive teams. My point was that the core isn’t going to be able to do it that much longer and there’s not much there as far as prospects with high end nhl upside + a slim to none chance at landing a top tier prospect in the next 3 years with the draft picks available. There’s for sure more reason for concern for the future after the next couple seasons than there’s been in past years imo. Especially when you consider the landscape of the league getting younger and faster every year.

Absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying it day by day as a fan. You don’t have to respond to other people’s comments about the long term future of your organization if you don’t wish to.

Prior to the Erik Karlsson trade, the Sharks prospect pool was stronger than it had ever been in my time as a hardcore fan (since 2010). IIRC, it was ranked in the top-20 by a popular prospect reviewer. (Corey Pronman?)

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
whoops

7 years, 63 million

Over an 8/80-90M offer SJ would likely be more than happy to offer? If he was that set on going to TB I’d have to think DW and Hasso Plattner would’ve fleshed that out after meeting with him but DW seems very openly optimistic about resigning him.

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
You never really know with Erik. He says all the right things as to not distract or bring attention to himself and his team. We will find out closer to July 1st.

I think we’ll find out within a week or two of the TDL passing. That’s when the Sharks will be allowed to offer him an 8 year deal which they’ll be discussing with EK and his agent after the all star break. If the Sharks don’t have him signed to an extension by the end of March I’d start to worry a little.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area

Not that it's definitive, but the Sharks' AHL team is the top team in the entire western conference and 2nd in the entire AHL by point %, and some of our best prospects aren't even on that team. Obviously AHL success isn't directly predictive of NHL success, but I don't think the team would be doing that well if the prospect pool was as terrible as you seem to believe it is. Also, the Sharks are arguably the single best NHL club at finding free talent from teams in Europe, with several players already contributing in the NHL, including Donskoi who is in our top-6, along with several others that are currently on the AHL club. So, when us Sharks fans are telling you that you're wrong about the state of our core and the upcoming prospect pool, you might consider that we have some basis for our optimism.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I think we’ll find out within a week or two of the TDL passing. That’s when the Sharks will be allowed to offer him an 8 year deal which they’ll be discussing with EK and his agent after the all star break. If the Sharks don’t have him signed to an extension by the end of March I’d start to worry a little.

That's true.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
To be honest, given that the Sharks were willing to offer Tavares 13.5m AAV, I suspect that the negotiation will basically be: “How many Scrooge McDuck Money Bins would you like over the next 8 years, Erik?” From all accounts, he has been getting along great with his teammates and our management, likes the area, etc. I would be shocked if he doesn’t re-sign here.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Feel like this has been said about the Sharks for the last 7-8 years now.

And honestly at that time it was kinda true too. People were pointing to Boyle, Havlat, Marleau etc as evidence of reaching the end of their era as a top team. The difference is you have drafted well to get guys like Hertl and Meier, and your GM hasn’t been afraid. He hasn’t been afraid to let guys like Marleau and (probably soon) Pavelski walk. And of course he makes blockbuster deals for the likes of Kane and Karlsson, often giving up less than people expect, and ensures his team can keep them.

I know some people give Doug Wilson crap, but it’s damned impressive keeping his franchise in the mix for a cup that long. Ever since they traded for Thornton they’ve managed to stay contending almost without interruption.

Great username btw :laugh:

Reactions: one2gamble

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce