Erik Johnson Appreciation Thread

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
I found this website because of the EJ/Shattenkirk trade. I started lurking and eventually made an account when we acquired Varly.

He was our best dman and one of my favourite players for a long long time. He was an NHL all-star and won a Stanley Cup here, that's an incerdibly successful career by most standards.

Remember in 2014-15 when he led all dmen in goals until late January?

I also just realized buffalo has 3x 1st overall picks on their dcore next season, I highly doubt that has happened before.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
EJ is the man!!!! I wish he could still play and stayed with the Avs and retired as an Av, but I guess I just have to wish him the best on Buffalo

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I found this website because of the EJ/Shattenkirk trade. I started lurking and eventually made an account when we acquired Varly.

That was a good thread. I remember it starting with “holy shit batman” and mentioning some dude who predicted the trade as “Chris ‘beefcakes’ Stewart and Shattenkirk for EJ’

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
I was tremendously pissed in the way back when after the Avalanche traded Chris Stewart since he was the most entertaining player on the roster. However, I only had to watch a handful of games of EJ to be able to tell that he was the best defenseman wearing burgundy silks since Blake.

It’s hard to imagine a more chaotic tenure than his. He endured the Sacco mediocrity, the miracle year, the disaster year, and of course the Cup victory. He also had his A taken away, the reason for which I still don’t know and am too lazy to look up. To have that depth of loyalty is, I think, a rare thing.

Best of luck to him and his ponies

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I was tremendously pissed in the way back when after the Avalanche traded Chris Stewart since he was the most entertaining player on the roster. However, I only had to watch a handful of games of EJ to be able to tell that he was the best defenseman wearing burgundy silks since Blake.

It’s hard to imagine a more chaotic tenure than his. He endured the Sacco mediocrity, the miracle year, the disaster year, and of course the Cup victory. He also had his A taken away, the reason for which I still don’t know and am too lazy to look up. To have that depth of loyalty is, I think, a rare thing.

Best of luck to him and his ponies

It wasn't really taken away. When he missed most of 2020-21, Mikko started wearing the A with Nate. Then the next season Makar started wearing one, which he obviously deserved,. So they just kind of settled into that group in his absence and kept it the same when he came back.

Bednar prefers the star players to wear the A's anyway, probably so the best offensive players, also feel like the leaders on the team. He took away Iginla and McLeod's A's his first season and gave them to Duchene and MacKinnon.

EJ was starting to play a smaller role, and was probably fine with the new core becoming leaders on the team. How you gonna expect a letter with MacKinnon and Makar on the team anyway?

EJ exemplifies the "doesn't need a letter to be a leader" type of vet.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
We got your boy PAID. Here's to hoping he can hold down the bottom pairing for us! Our young defense sure can use the leadership.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
This has been a great interview so far. Actually admitted that his whole "retirement" thing a couple years ago was because Joe tried to trade him twice, and he nixed both deals. Said he was only going to play in Denver or not at all. Then they won The Cup, and now he still wants to play. Said CMac and Co. didn't offer him a contract, but he said there are no hard feelings. He is just grateful he got to play 15 years in the same place.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
He also had his A taken away, the reason for which I still don’t know and am too lazy to look up.
IIRC, he took a really really really stupid penalty when he cross-checked someone like 30 times in a row behind the net in the defensive zone and the ref finally had to call it. He never wore the A again after that game

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Nice city? Phoenix is an awful city.
Funny how people see things... Phoenix is kinda blah, but it is an inoffensive blah. Dallas/Fort Worth is blah with even more urban sprawl and even more strip malls without any outdoor activities and even more unbearable summers (give me dry over humid).

budaj guy

Mar 7, 2012
Northern Alberta
Thanks for being a great warrior EJ! Gonna be weird to see him in a different uniform next year. Rock solid when it was needed, the kind of player needed to win a cup in this league.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
IIRC, he took a really really really stupid penalty when he cross-checked someone like 30 times in a row behind the net in the defensive zone and the ref finally had to call it. He never wore the A again after that game
Was that the game where the ref literally announced the penalty as ‘3 crosschecks’?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $8,851.00