Player Discussion Erik Haula II

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Do you mean today's game? Because they had one earlier in the week.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Just wanted to say how glad I am that this guy is back in the line up. I think that he is quietly become one of the more important forwards on this team. A " glue" guy. To think that Yeo was stil benching this guy last year at this time.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Just wanted to say how glad I am that this guy is back in the line up. I think that he is quietly become one of the more important forwards on this team. A " glue" guy. To think that Yeo was stil benching this guy last year at this time.

I agree, he is becoming a quite important forward for us. Just as an aside, last year at this time he was playing horribly and deserved the scratching. Remember, he didn't start taking off under Torch, he started under Yeo, and continued under Torch.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
he really is developing into the "wes walz" 3rd line center i thought he could become. i will cry in my whiskey if we lose him to vegas.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I agree, he is becoming a quite important forward for us. Just as an aside, last year at this time he was playing horribly and deserved the scratching. Remember, he didn't start taking off under Torch, he started under Yeo, and continued under Torch.

I disagree. Yeo was just quick to bench him, or Zucker. Pomminville was godawful, yet he didn't bench Pominville. He did the same with Heatley. Yeo was bad with young players, or, more possibly, felt beholden to older established players.

I don't get that feeling at all with BB. It seems to be a meritocracy.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Wasn't last year the year he came to camp/into the season overweight or out of shape?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I disagree. Yeo was just quick to bench him, or Zucker. Pomminville was godawful, yet he didn't bench Pominville. He did the same with Heatley. Yeo was bad with young players, or, more possibly, felt beholden to older established players.

I don't get that feeling at all with BB. It seems to be a meritocracy.

I agree that Yeo was a lot quicker to bench young guys than vets. A lot quicker. Still, Haula was not playing well, and IMO, of all our "young" guys, he looked the worst. This time last season, our entire 4th line looked like they needed benching, along with some of our top 6.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
he really is developing into the "wes walz" 3rd line center i thought he could become. i will cry in my whiskey if we lose him to vegas.

Precisely Danoz28! People forget Walz was an offensive stud in junior much as Haula was at the U: the sublime speed and 2 way game with skills, definitely comparable.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wasn't last year the year he came to camp/into the season overweight or out of shape?

No, it was the year before, and even then, it was never explicitly said he was out of shape. Malkin rearranged his face in the spring, and I suspect he had a concussion that took him a long time to recover from.

No hard info either way.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
No, it was the year before, and even then, it was never explicitly said he was out of shape. Malkin rearranged his face in the spring, and I suspect he had a concussion that took him a long time to recover from.

No hard info either way.

Yeo mentioned Haula needed to "stay on top of his conditioning" once in the middle of the year, after saying several players were out of shape at camp. So I guess he never explicitly said it, but it was implied.

http://www.startribune.com/pregame-yeo-says-haula-must-stay-on-top-of-his-conditioning/287351181/

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Maybe in even strength ice time, but almost certainly not in linemates or PP time. Which are obviously the two biggest factors to increased production.

Unless someone's hurt, I can't see Staal or Koivu being bumped down lines in favor of Haula, even if it appears that he deserves it. Then again, we have a smart coach, now... Anything's possible, I suppose.

That was a spot on prediction.

edit: I don't mean Haula has been a complete player in any way, but he has excellent shot and nose for a goal. That is something the rest of the players are currently lacking.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
AS much as I like Haula, he in no way deserves to bump Koivu or Staal. He is a good complimentary player who i hope won't cost us too much to re-sign.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Disappointed in Haula's play so far. At least he is winning FO's, but I don't see him making a difference out there. Having see him turn on the jets for weeks. If you were watching him you wouldn't know that he was fast.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Boudreau voiced his disappointment with Haula's play recently, too. I'm sure they've had several closed-door conversations about getting his game back on-track.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Boudreau voiced his disappointment with Haula's play recently, too. I'm sure they've had several closed-door conversations about getting his game back on-track.

Having Parise pick his game up helps.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
That deflection goal he had tonight was sweet. Reminded me of Heatley or Vanek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad