Player Discussion Erik Haula II

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Before this season:

118GP, 13 goals, 16 assists, 29 pts. (FO% ~46%)

This season:

71GP, 13 goals, 20 assists, 33 pts. (FO% = 53.3%)

Almost a 0.5 p/g (and some clutch goals scored) from a 7th rounder. Nice.

For all the crap that Fletch and Co. take for bad picks, they need to get some credit for this one.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Would be nice if Haula got some consistency and turned into a 50-point, 3rd line center. That would be so big for the Wild.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Based on this season's stats, 50 points would be the higher end of #2 centers.

With everything else he brings to ice (defensively, penalty kill, overall speed), 30-45 points would be terrific.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Well I am looking at Contenders, not the average NHL team. I suspect the Wild are going to need three (3) center with more than 45+ point in order to win a Cup.

Which each passing season, I get more convinced that wingers are just such a minor importance to a teams success, unless they are of top-5 caliber (i.e. Ovechkin, Kane, Benn, etc.)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
50 pt. C's are #2C's. The league is changing.

Expecting that from Haula is extreme. I guess it could be possible if he had offensive linemates, but I see no way that Nino and Poms( unless he starts to stink it up again) aren't his linemates again next year. I think the Wild would LOVE to get at least another year out of Poms before they buy him out.

One of the things that makes Haula special is that he can defend against speedy/skilled scorers like Kane and Tarasenko. Bigger guys, not so much....Koivu's job.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
Even some 1s, truth be told.

There are 34 centers with 50 or more points right now. Sure, there are teams without high scoring centers, etc, etc, but let's not get carried away.

That said, I think there are a good number of teams that would kill for 50+ from their first line center, and 40+ from both their 2nd and 3rd line centers.

I'm really enjoying watching Haula play, lately. He works his ass off, and for the time being, he's getting great results from it. Hopefully he can keep growing, but even if he doesn't, I'm glad he's stuck around and didn't pout or demand a trade when he was a frequent scratch.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
I'm hoping Haula can be a consistent 15+25 guy. A Matt Cullen-esque guy who is super streaky but always real fast and defensively sound.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
There are 34 centers with 50 or more points right now. Sure, there are teams without high scoring centers, etc, etc, but let's not get carried away.

That said, I think there are a good number of teams that would kill for 50+ from their first line center, and 40+ from both their 2nd and 3rd line centers.

I'm really enjoying watching Haula play, lately. He works his ass off, and for the time being, he's getting great results from it. Hopefully he can keep growing, but even if he doesn't, I'm glad he's stuck around and didn't pout or demand a trade when he was a frequent scratch.
When building a team, you have to disregard the makeup of 25 teams in the league.

Cup contenders have 1 superstar center, or 2 elite centers, or 3 great centers.

You can scratch out the first two for the Wild.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Since Yeo's firing in mid February, Haula is 3rd in the NHL in EV scoring behind only Crosby and Scheifele. That's roughly 1/4 of the season. Pretty impressive. Still to be seen what pace he can sustain over a full season. I wonder why he's not getting any PP time.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Since Yeo's firing in mid February, Haula is 3rd in the NHL in EV scoring behind only Crosby and Scheifele. That's roughly 1/4 of the season. Pretty impressive. Still to be seen what pace he can sustain over a full season. I wonder why he's not getting any PP time.

Because his line and his game are all about counter-punching against top offensive lines on the rush. The pp is usually possession based, thus you need possession players.

Also, last I checked, we've had a pretty damn good pp already since Yeo was fired as well.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities

Listening to KFAN the other day, I would agree with Nanne and the host...I think Haula has worked his way to be protected by the expansion draft.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Because his line and his game are all about counter-punching against top offensive lines on the rush. The pp is usually possession based, thus you need possession players.

Also, last I checked, we've had a pretty damn good pp already since Yeo was fired as well.
OK, that makes sense. I guess Nino is a better possession player since he's getting some PP time while playing EV with Haula.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Listening to KFAN the other day, I would agree with Nanne and the host...I think Haula has worked his way to be protected by the expansion draft.

If the expansion draft were held this summer, I dunno, debatable. But his future outlook is very promising. I am really looking forward to see what he does next season, especially as it is a contract year for him, he won't be lacking the motivation.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
OK, that makes sense. I guess Nino is a better possession player since he's getting some PP time while playing EV with Haula.

Haula and Reilly running the the second PP would be something I would entertain. I still don't like Suter up top but whatever.

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
Haula reminds of Darren Helm in Detroit but with a slightly higher offensive ceiling. I think 30-40 points a year from Haula would be a huge help especially with what else he brings to the table. Its awesome to see how well he and Nino mesh though. Seems like Granny/Parise, Koivu/Coyle, and Haula/Nink could be the base of the top 3 lines going forward.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Haula is essential to the PK, which makes Torch reluctant to use him on the PP, too. PK can be exhausting, especially at forward.

Last edited:

WagonFan

Dec 15, 2012
Let's hope that Haula keep developing his strengths and is consistent for many years. Would love to see him in NT at WC, we could use fast and hard working 3C that shuts down the opposition and great PK:ing. :nod:

What do you guys think how Haula would do with the elite wingers or is he just better of in the 3C/4C duties?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Let's hope that Haula keep developing his strengths and is consistent for many years. Would love to see him in NT at WC, we could use fast and hard working 3C that shuts down the opposition and great PK:ing. :nod:

What do you guys think how Haula would do with the elite wingers or is he just better of in the 3C/4C duties?

Not sure we could answer your question even if we wanted to, because I'm not sure we've seen him with an elite winger, yet. Nino is a good one, but not elite. The only elite winger we have is Parise, and most of the year he's been centered by Granlund.

My projection for him is as a #3C who can step up into a #2C role, if needed, thanks to his offensive touch. But, his defense is already good, so he's definitely at worst a decent shutdown center. So, basically, a high end #3 and low end #2 is where I see him ending up.

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
I think when you start counting or relying on Haula for offense, there's a problem. He's a good player with a great skill set. Ideal 3C with ability to move up the lineup when injuries occur. It will be interesting to see how the 3rd line shapes up next year. Haula is a lock for 3C but who's around him is a mystery. Gotta figure Nino graduates to the top-6, one or both of Vanek/pommer will be gone, who knows if guys like jones, Stoll, carter, Fontaine will be back.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think when you start counting or relying on Haula for offense, there's a problem. He's a good player with a great skill set. Ideal 3C with ability to move up the lineup when injuries occur. It will be interesting to see how the 3rd line shapes up next year. Haula is a lock for 3C but who's around him is a mystery. Gotta figure Nino graduates to the top-6, one or both of Vanek/pommer will be gone, who knows if guys like jones, Stoll, carter, Fontaine will be back.

I agree that Nino is a top 6 candidate, but no way I'm splitting up him and Haula till they prove they can't score together. We still don't know Haula's ceiling...he was a top point producer in college with a very good team....funny, I never thought of him as especially fast, but more of a " do all" offensive player, with no particular skill that stuck out besides a penchant for doing the right thing at the right time.

This team is unbalanced. With the decline in play of Vanek and Pominville, not enough talent up front, and an unusual amount of depth in back.

Something has to change in the off season.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
Yeah, Nino/Haula/Pommer start as the 3rd line next year. Pretty easy decision IMO.

I think that at some point you have to give Nino a shot at the big minutes. I feel like next year will be that year. Isn't he on year 2 of a 3 year contract currently? I think vanek might be gone this offseason and with pominville playing at about a third line player level it opens up two spots for him in the top 6 alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad