Value of: Erik Gustafsson to a contender

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
26-year-old left-handed defenseman. He's in year one of a two-year deal at a $1.2 million AAV.

His eight goals this year rank fourth among defensemen in the NHL.

He's playing nearly 22 minutes a night for the Blackhawks, and was just recently promoted to the top powerplay unit. He's one of three Hawks d-men with a positive Corsi [the other two being Jokiharu and Keith].

Blackhawks consider this because they have a small city's worth of young offensive-minded defensemen that are either already breaking into the NHL, or on the verge of doing so.

Blackhawks do not need to move Gustafsson, but may consider it if presented with a great offer.

What do you offer up?
hes really underrated

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Guy has 18pts (8g, 10a) in 35 games. Pretty much a 0.5ppg player this year and is signed on for one more season after this one for only $1.2m. Can play both sides. Not a good PKer, but is someone a legit playoff team could look at if they need more offense from the back end.

I expect we can get something close to a late 1st for him. I don't think the Hawks should keep him simply because we have an abundance of offensive minded defensive prospects that are close to making the team (Boqvist and Mitchell). We need to make room for them and still have room for young NHLers Jokiharju and Forsling, along with Murphy (who is a good shutdown guy), Keith, and that albatross of a contract that I won't talk about here.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
What do I want? Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Kapanen, Dermott...

But being serious, the Hawks aren't in a position where they need to sell Gus. It'd just be nice if we happened to get a good offer. Talks start with a 2019 1st.

You said you were being serious, then you said 2019 1st

You lied to me, and to the people

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Wow sounds like the kind of a guy a team like CHI should want.

I don’t think they’ll move him. But with the cap hit being so appealing to a Cup contender, if the plus on top of a 1st round draft pick is big enough, they might bite. I think that is the purpose of this thread, to see how much more could be offered in addition to a 2019 1st.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I don’t think they’ll move him. But with the cap hit being so appealing to a Cup contender, if the plus on top of a 1st round draft pick is big enough, they might bite. I think that is the purpose of this thread, to see how much more could be offered in addition to a 2019 1st.
Isn't his cap hit appealing to CHI?

I really don't think anyone is giving a 1st for him, nevermind adding anything to that. But I could definitely be wrong and feel free to call me out on it if I am.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Aren't the Habs looking for a LH puck-moving D. I'm not familiar with their needs but I feel like I've read that around here. 26 years old, cheap contract..He seems to fit the bill.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Could I interest you in a 2020 2nd + Trevor Moore/Carl Grundstrom/Martin Marincin + Roster Player? (Gauthier, or Brown if you have small add).

I would also be willing to give up our 1st but I just want to see if it can be done without giving it up. Also the first 3 players I listed are our best forward prospects and I threw in Marincin in there because he plays RD and would fit well on a team that gives him a bigger role.
Moore, Grundstrom and Marincin are very different in what they're worth. In no way are those 3 interchangeable in a trade.

Marincin<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Moore<<Grundstrom

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Isn't his cap hit appealing to CHI?

I really don't think anyone is giving a 1st for him, nevermind adding anything to that. But I could definitely be wrong and feel free to call me out on it if I am.

Well, the Hawks have a ton of cap space already. Trading Schmaltz, who was due for a big raise, for 2 players that will make significantly less than him for the next couple years opened up a lot of space.

Plus, Chicago isn’t contending this year and probably will not contend next year. It’ll be interesting to see what they do in the offseason. Maybe they will spend the space on Panarin and veteran depth. In that case, Gustaffson would be a nice piece to have next year. But that’s a lot of assumptions, maybe Panarin or someone like Stone ends up somewhere else.

As things stand now, Gustaffson is a nice piece for the rebuild in Chicago but provides significant surplus value to a true contender due to his low cap hit this and next year. He’s the kind of player I would want Chicago to target and give up a 1st+ for if they we’re contending.

No need for the call out, I don’t care for that kind of thing, just like to exchange perspectives. We’ll see how it goes, they probably keep him since most of our blue chip D prospects are RHD and he is LHD.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
WPG makes the most sense. A contender with a clear need for a top4 LHD and tight in cap space. Should come cheaper than someone like Jake Muzzin.

Would be interested in the value WPG would have to give up to acquire him.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
I wasn't a big Gustafson fan and was the first to write him off. I think the change in coaching has helped him a lot. I think Chicago should keep him and move Keith or forsling instead.

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
I wasn't a big Gustafson fan and was the first to write him off. I think the change in coaching has helped him a lot. I think Chicago should keep him and move Keith or forsling instead.
Trading Forsling makes absolutely no sense unless it is an overpayment by the acquiring team; he is one of the Hawks best young assets who is still on his entry level deal and controllable for another 3 or 4 years. Left handed d-man, good skater, good puck mover, responsible defensively and can contribute offensively. As a young player occasionally makes mistakes but that is part of the maturation process. He should be part of the rebuild on the backend with the likes of Jokiharju, Boqvist, Mitchell, Beaudin, Krys etc.

Keith on the other hand if he wants to move and agrees to a trade should be moved to acquire prospects and picks to help expedite the rebuild.

Having said that Keith along with Seabrook, Kane and Toews have done so much to help rebuild and make the Hawks relevant again that they should have the right to dictate their future in Chicago... at least to the end of their current deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad