Value of: Erik Gustafsson to a contender

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
26-year-old left-handed defenseman. He's in year one of a two-year deal at a $1.2 million AAV.

His eight goals this year rank fourth among defensemen in the NHL.

He's playing nearly 22 minutes a night for the Blackhawks, and was just recently promoted to the top powerplay unit. He's one of three Hawks d-men with a positive Corsi [the other two being Jokiharu and Keith].

Blackhawks consider this because they have a small city's worth of young offensive-minded defensemen that are either already breaking into the NHL, or on the verge of doing so.

Blackhawks do not need to move Gustafsson, but may consider it if presented with a great offer.

What do you offer up?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Don't really know what the Hawks want.

You've got a bunch of great D prospects, which we don't have anyway. Goalie prospects could be something, but this organisation seems to bank on Comrie, and I'd assume Berdin has very limited value still. We have f*** all in terms of C prospects, which leaves wingers.

Lemieux, Appleton, Vesalainen, Suess, Spacek... some of those names are not moving for Gustafsson, but I'm just listing the best ones.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Don't really know what the Hawks want.

You've got a bunch of great D prospects, which we don't have anyway. Goalie prospects could be something, but this organisation seems to bank on Comrie, and I'd assume Berdin has very limited value still. We have **** all in terms of C prospects, which leaves wingers.

Lemieux, Appleton, Vesalainen, Suess, Spacek... some of those names are not moving for Gustafsson, but I'm just listing the best ones.

Would you be willing to do a pick? If so, which round?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
2nd. Not giving up a first for pretty much anything that is available at the moment.
Gus is 4th in goals amongst defensemen, only 26, and his cap hit is $1.2M. If he sustains his point production, they'll be a few cup contenders that will give up a 1st in a heartbeat.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Gus is 4th in goals amongst defensemen, only 26, and his cap hit is $1.2M. If he sustains his point production, they'll be a few cup contenders that will give up a 1st in a heartbeat.
We'll throw in Seabrook too so we can make that 1st round pick happen

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
At a first quick glance I was all about this idea....then saw it didnt say Eric Gudbranson

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Is Gus keeps up not only his offense but his defensive presence he has shown since his sickness, I could see a contending team potentially giving up a late first.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Hawks should keep Gus. Can see him being Nate Schmidt 2.0 under new coaching regime. If Hawks do move him its for a pick and forward prospect thats close to nhl ready or a one for one swap for a top 9 forward.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
oh... well what do you want for him
What do I want? Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Kapanen, Dermott...

But being serious, the Hawks aren't in a position where they need to sell Gus. It'd just be nice if we happened to get a good offer. Talks start with a 2019 1st.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
When I read the title I thought it said Erik Gudbranson and was immediately ready to come in this thread and say HELL NO we're not trading him :laugh:

Gustafsson I would think doesn't have too much value around the league. I might give up a 4th for him.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
When I read the title I thought it said Erik Gudbranson and was immediately ready to come in this thread and say HELL NO we're not trading him :laugh:

Gustafsson I would think doesn't have too much value around the league. I might give up a 4th for him.

He’s better than the Gustafsson you probably remember from a few years ago, I’m sure his value is much better than a 4th.

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada

But being serious, the Hawks aren't in a position where they need to sell Gus. It'd just be nice if we happened to get a good offer. Talks start with a 2019 1st.
Could I interest you in a 2020 2nd + Trevor Moore/Carl Grundstrom/Martin Marincin + Roster Player? (Gauthier, or Brown if you have small add).

I would also be willing to give up our 1st but I just want to see if it can be done without giving it up. Also the first 3 players I listed are our best forward prospects and I threw in Marincin in there because he plays RD and would fit well on a team that gives him a bigger role.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I didn't know that he's suddenly good.

Nice to see a former Oiler draft pick playing well. (On a different team.... Of course)

I'd welcome him back but idk what the ask would be

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Could I interest you in a 2020 2nd + Trevor Moore/Carl Grundstrom/Martin Marincin + Roster Player? (Gauthier, or Brown if you have small add).

I would also be willing to give up our 1st but I just want to see if it can be done without giving it up. Also the first 3 players I listed are our best forward prospects and I threw in Marincin in there because he plays RD and would fit well on a team that gives him a bigger role.
Grundstrom is solid but as I said, the Hawks don't need to trade Gus so I think from their perspective it's a 1st or else they don't pick up the phone.

Reactions: Big Sugar

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018

I got a David Backes, half eaten chicken bone, trip to Hawaii specially paid by the Jacobs family, and a conditional 7th round pick to offer. :D

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
By the looks of the Pacific that contending team could be Vancouver. Best he just stays there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad