Erik Gustafsson coming back? (May 21 update in first post)

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Actually, there is. Appeal to authority is a logical fallacy very literally, you'll learn that in any Introduction to Logic class. He's not actually backing up his opinion with reasoning he can claim to be his own and appealing to authority isn't an argument that ever progresses anywhere. He's not holding himself responsible for his own thoughts or for any arguments that should be made.
I absolutely agree it's a logical fallacy if someone is saying something is undoubtedly true just because an expert in that field says it's true. No quarrel there. But you can't prove (in the most formal sense of the word) statements like the one in question, because it's not a question that has an objective answer. So you just gather evidence that supports your argument and hope that with a certain degree of certainty you've shown that you're "right".

But even when things can't be objectively determined (here, I'm not talking just about sports), there is a build-up of a knowledge base, and those that have "studied" it can be, in my opinion, said to be more likely to be "right" about an arbitrary question that relates to that matter. So if you use an appeal to authority in that way, then you're just supporting your side of the argument by saying that people who are on average more likely to be right than a layman also hold the same position. That doesn't mean they're right in that particular situation. But it does give more credence to your side than just someone without as much knowledge agreeing with it (barring other evidence!). That's all I was saying.

I absolutely agree that coaches, GMs and other hockey experts can be wrong. But here he just provided two examples of coaches not playing Gus and appealed to other GMs that also seemingly passed on him by not signing him. I'm not sure whether he was ever placed on waivers, though, so I can't say if that second appeal to authority even is an appeal to authority or just a bad argument. In any case, I think such an appeal then just makes the other side have to work harder in establishing that their side of the argument is correct. But I saw unsubstantiated things like "Lavi had a thing for Mez" that seem like they're trying to fit reality around the opinion rather than the other way around and are supposed to render that appeal to authority as inapplicable. So that's why I chipped in.

I'm not the biggest fan of Berube and neither was I of Lavi. But, ****, at the end of the day, I've never received any formal education on hockey coaching or, for that matter, even played hockey. So that's why I realize that what I think might be wrong, and I just expect everyone else here to do the same. But I see a lot of harsh rejections of opinions that don't follow the majority vote here. That's the only thing that rubs me the wrong way.
Also, what you just said to describe everyone else (meaning, the entirety of the website that doesn't include you) is the very definition of arrogance. You're kidding yourself if you think sports, and in this case Gustafsson, is all that complicated of a thing. We're not talking string theory or quantum physics here. It's sports. Even if that analogy were accurate, which it isn't, being in a position of power doesn't make your opinion or thoughts intelligent or even accurate. There's an innumerable amount of examples of that in life, including with teachers and GM's. I once had an Intro to Computers class in college where my teacher couldn't figure out how to maximize a Youtube window, couldn't figure out how to mute and unmute the volume on the computer, and put in the wrong answer key for every single scantron test. That's one example of countless ones of why an appeal to authority is a lazy and worthless fallacy of logic.
Of course, and again I agree. Just goes to show you can't use the opinion of the authority as the right one just because it comes from the authority.

And you'll find nobody worth listening to that heavily disagrees. In fact, the people who have been arguing with DFF, that you classify as "first year college students thinking they can solve graduate level problems", have said the exact same thing over and over and over again.
Sure, I wasn't disagreeing with or attacking anyone with my last statement, I just gave my opinion on Gus.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Well said. It kills me when people act like scouts, GMs, and coaches can't be wrong. And yet, we see them make mistakes almost daily. Appealing to authority in fricken sports is as fallacious as it gets.

Could you imagine if we were all Oilers or Leafs fans?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Gus needed to go to Russia to play full-time against a higher level of talent than the AHL. He failed to win a job on a mediocre defense, and showed he wasn't ready.

He had a good season in Russia, hopefully he's added some strength and developed more of an edge. Given his low cost, it makes sense to dump a couple veteran D-men who cost much more but don't offer much more on the ice. However, I don't see him as a building block, but on a low cost deal he could be depth and possible trade bait in a year or two.

GingerFetish

Feb 26, 2013
Trading Gross and putting in Gus can do no harm. Hakstol wants mobile D.

Continue to let the kids grow and let Ghost get back to 100% from the injury before we even think about having him see NHL.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Gus needed to go to Russia to play full-time against a higher level of talent than the AHL. He failed to win a job on a mediocre defense, and showed he wasn't ready.

He had a good season in Russia, hopefully he's added some strength and developed more of an edge. Given his low cost, it makes sense to dump a couple veteran D-men who cost much more but don't offer much more on the ice. However, I don't see him as a building block, but on a low cost deal he could be depth and possible trade bait in a year or two.

Actually, the issue was that the idiot coach failed to notice that Gus had earned a spot on the roster and instead gave it to blatantly inferior players.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Bill's thoughts on Gus.....no room for him anyway. It will be interesting to see if he can land an NHL job elsewhere. If he doesn't it should basically put to rest the debate about how valuable he really is at the NHL level....although I doubt it. Cults die hard.....

Although a segment of Flyers fans holds Gustafsson in very high regard, the consensus on him among NHL pro scouts is that he is something of an AHL/NHL "tweener" whose ideal level of play might actually be found as a solid KHL defenseman rather than as 7th or 6th NHL blueliner.

Talk to scouts and this is usually their impression of Gustafsson (which hasn't changed much in the last three or four years): He is a decent puck-mover and passer but not top caliber. He's developed into a competent coverage defenseman but he's not what could be deemed a shutdown defender. He has produced points at a healthy clip at the AHL level, but he's not quite talented enough to be an offensive defenseman in the NHL (at least not without becoming a defensive liability). He's a good skater but not off-the-charts. Last but not least, while solidly built with a low center of gravity, Gustafsson is undersized and sometimes gets manhandled along the walls and in front of his net. He lacks physicality and there are bigger and better containment defenders.

As a result, Gustafsson repeatedly found him in a frustrating situation where he was clearly good enough to play above the AHL level but not quite good enough to hold down a regular starting six job in the NHL.

Continued:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill...Medvedev-Contract-Gus-Rebuffed--More/45/68795

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Bill's thoughts on Gus.....no room for him anyway. It will be interesting to see if he can land an NHL job elsewhere. If he doesn't it should basically put to rest the debate about how valuable he really is at the NHL level....although I doubt it. Cults die hard.....
I think we'll only see one Gus in the NHL next year, and it won't be our pony boy. I doubt he'll ever get another crack at it later, too.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

Gus is 'popular' because he's a cheap option.

There's no problem for most people if he, specifically, is not brought back; the problem continues to be too much money spent on defensemen.

Hextall inherited a serious problem and I'm keen to see how he rids himself of the expensive dead weight.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It's remarkable how, despite how crytal-clear it is explained time and time again, people can't get it through their skulls that Gus himself isn't popular, but what he represents as a cheap homegrown talent instead of something overpaid. That's what's popular.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
It's remarkable how, despite how crytal-clear it is explained time and time again, people can't get it through their skulls that Gus himself isn't popular, but what he represents as a cheap homegrown talent instead of something overpaid. That's what's popular.

Naw its easier for them to make some random story up where we think he is a top 4 defender or something.

They are prob the same people that defended Foster, Gill, etc.

MadFerIt95*

CFqW2jYWEAASjF1.jpg

Look at what Gus said on his Instagram....shows he wants to come back at least

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad