Erik Gustafsson coming back? (May 21 update in first post)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
We might as well trade Gustafssons rights. Not fair to keep him out of the league. Everything we have done to Gus has been unfair really.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think Gus would be back next year if the team agreed with what he was doing.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
We might as well trade Gustafssons rights. Not fair to keep him out of the league. Everything we have done to Gus has been unfair really.

IIRC it was Bill Meltzer who blogged that Hextall would most likely trade him if there were any interest... which apparently doesn't seem to be the case at this point... He said that other Organizations are going with their own Farm Members and that basically Gus is considered to be a 'Tweener' and does not have the physical ability to win enough board battles, or those in front of the net... Says that he would be at best an AHL players who can be a depth NHL D-man. He also stated that there was no spot on the current roster to place him... Seems to me that Gus is an asset that the Flyers own and will use when and if an opportunity arises... It is IMO not a metter of being unfair; Gus rather than come to Camp and battle chose to go for more money and playing time in the KHL but with the diminishing Russian Currency now wants to resume his desire to play in the NHL. According to Bill also, Gus seemed to have won a job at the end of the last full Lavy Season but lost it at Camp when he put too much pressure on himself and laid an egg... was benched by Lay and never regained his poise under Chief... not wanting to compete in a losing battle, he did what he did. I don't believe that the Flyers "did" anything to him and would have welcomed him had he been able to progress and been able to hold his own with his diminutive stature... He is neither beg enough nor talented enough force Hexy to fit him in... not does it seem that he can catch the fancy of another Organization enough for them to deal for his rights and allow him to compete at their Camp... How were the Flyers unfair to him? He was allowed to try and earn a spot but he chose to go elsewhere rather than win a spot on a Defense that was by no means a staller one.

I wish I could remember when and where that Meltzer blog was exactly so I could post the URL... I believe it was on HockeyBuzz a few days back though is anyone wants to dig it up.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He was allowed to try and earn a spot but he chose to go elsewhere rather than win a spot on a Defense that was by no means a staller one.

He knew he wasn't going to get it. He said himself that he wanted to play, and he knew he wouldn't get a fair shot (I didn't include your whole quote, but the simple answer to what is fair and what is not is simply that players who were not as good as him were being moved up the lineup, and he knew it and wasn't going to deal with a jackass coach submarining his career). He got a better contract, a chance to play, and contrary to popular belief just because you go to the KHL doesn't mean you're sub-NHL. Vladimir Sobotka left for the same reasons, the Blues opted to have Steve friggin' Ott on the roster instead.

Given the discord seen and heard by the players once the season ended, it's clear most other players didn't find Berube's actions very fair either.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
He knew he wasn't going to get it. He said himself that he wanted to play, and he knew he wouldn't get a fair shot (I didn't include your whole quote, but the simple answer to what is fair and what is not is simply that players who were not as good as him were being moved up the lineup, and he knew it and wasn't going to deal with a jackass coach submarining his career). He got a better contract, a chance to play, and contrary to popular belief just because you go to the KHL doesn't mean you're sub-NHL. Vladimir Sobotka left for the same reasons, the Blues opted to have Steve friggin' Ott on the roster instead.

Given the discord seen and heard by the players once the season ended, it's clear most other players didn't find Berube's actions very fair either.

I was far from a Berube fan this past Season... and any good points that he may have had were no longer working, or rendered meaningless in the whole... but Gus actually lost his job under Lavy and never regained it under Chief. To me a good sign of his not being able to play regularly in the tougher NHL -- which demands that small players, especially D-Men, play big like Kimmo -- is the simple fact that his rights probably can be obtained for a lower Draft Pick by any of the other Organizations but not a single one of them has made a deal... nor I believe made an offer... I don't believe Hexy would waste the asset and allow it to rot elsewhere.

KHL players can indeed be NHL worthy... and usually those that are and who want to play in the NHL do find an Organization who will at least give them a shot. I respect and by no means begrudge Gus wanting more money and Ice Time, as well as being able to prove his worth... but as well as he has played in the KHL, he still has not proven that the Flyers should jump through hoops... it has been the opposite with Hexy bringing more excess D-Men rather than going after Gus to see if he will return.

Chief may have played other D-Men who people may believe to be inferior to Gus, but IMO it is a matter of what they can offer the Team and what Gus was not able to do... Except for that one brief period at the end of the Season a couple years back, Gus had not played well enough to supplant another player that fits his 'role'... Berube and Hexy may be stubborn and have their favorites and Doghouse occupants but they are smart enough to know that they can't bite their nose off to spite their face... They have to work within the Cap and populate their Team within the Roles in their System.

Your argument would be sound if Gus could convince, by his play and words, another Organization to obtain his rights... If Gus re-signs in the KHL as it appears that he will, it only backs up the Flyers stance that he just is not good enough to be a regular NHL player... I still don't believe that the Flyers are screwing up Gus' NHL Career... nor did they single him out to put the screws to because they like to F' with him... which seems to be what some Gus fans are alluding to. JMO

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I was far from a Berube fan this past Season... and any good points that he may have had were no longer working, or rendered meaningless in the whole... but Gus actually lost his job under Lavy and never regained it under Chief. To me a good sign of his not being able to play regularly in the tougher NHL -- which demands that small players, especially D-Men, play big like Kimmo -- is the simple fact that his rights probably can be obtained for a lower Draft Pick by any of the other Organizations but not a single one of them has made a deal... nor I believe made an offer... I don't believe Hexy would waste the asset and allow it to rot elsewhere.

KHL players can indeed be NHL worthy... and usually those that are and who want to play in the NHL do find an Organization who will at least give them a shot. I respect and by no means begrudge Gus wanting more money and Ice Time, as well as being able to prove his worth... but as well as he has played in the KHL, he still has not proven that the Flyers should jump through hoops... it has been the opposite with Hexy bringing more excess D-Men rather than going after Gus to see if he will return.

Chief may have played other D-Men who people may believe to be inferior to Gus, but IMO it is a matter of what they can offer the Team and what Gus was not able to do... Except for that one brief period at the end of the Season a couple years back, Gus had not played well enough to supplant another player that fits his 'role'... Berube and Hexy may be stubborn and have their favorites and Doghouse occupants but they are smart enough to know that they can't bite their nose off to spite their face... They have to work within the Cap and populate their Team within the Roles in their System.

Your argument would be sound if Gus could convince, by his play and words, another Organization to obtain his rights... If Gus re-signs in the KHL as it appears that he will, it only backs up the Flyers stance that he just is not good enough to be a regular NHL player... I still don't believe that the Flyers are screwing up Gus' NHL Career... nor did they single him out to put the screws to because they like to F' with him... which seems to be what some Gus fans are alluding to. JMO

In my opinion he did just that, and felt he did. The organization failed to see it, and as a result we have the Andrew MacDonald Monstrosity. He had no leverage to ask for a trade, so he bet on himself and left, and the Flyers had their plans in the meantime - they also couldn't count on Gus deciding he was ready to return. It will be a series of what-ifs that is at most of fault to the coach, and thankfully now that he's gone it won't happen again.

I don't think the Flyers are jumping through hoops doing anything, if someone else has interest, they'll oblige.

Viller

Mar 24, 2007
He was given many chances and never stuck around and fled to Russia for more money. The Flyers will dictate when he can comeback, not Rich Winters.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Gus has played 91 games and has 23 points and is +17.

What more do you want from a bottom pairing dman?

but but but "size".... oh wait cementhead is gone..

nm..:handclap:

it amazes me that he has those stats in that short of a time frame, yet was written off, while we play guys like Grossmann.. sigh....

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He was given many chances and never stuck around and fled to Russia for more money. The Flyers will dictate when he can comeback, not Rich Winters.

No....he was given a little chance, played well, then was never rewarded for good play. Then went yo Russia to play more....not for $.

And next year, he is a UFA so he and Winter will dictate that he comes back.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

If anyone offered anything at all for his rights, they would already be gone. Best bet might be to throw him in another deal.

With Streit, MDZ (who will be signed), Macdonald (if he can't be traded), Gostisbehere coming up eventually, and Provorov/Werenski (if that's the way the draft goes), and Zaitsev (if he ever really gets signed), there will never be room for Gus on the Flyers - and there doesn't need to be.

No one needs a 3rd pairing guy who is too small to kill penalties and sucks on the powerplay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad