Erik Gudbranson vs Brandon Gormley

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Both are great prospects taken in the 1st round of the 2010 draft. Gudbranson (3rd) and Gormley (13th), however many projections had gormley in the top 5 of 6, some even had him 3rd. Gudbranson could have been in the NHl this season but couldnt come to a contract agreement. Just wondering who has more potential and who will be an impact player sooner. Shame gormely was injured and didnt get to play at the WJC but I have seen him many times and think he will be a great player, what do you guys think?

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
I prefer Gormley than Gudbranson. Gormley plays a really mature game and he's very solid both ends of the ice. For me, I would have taken him in the top 5. He could turn out to be the best defenseman of last year's draft. But remember, he plays a safe type of game. He won't be flashy but does everything well.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Yeah, I saw Gormley as the more well-rounded D in the draft. Due to Phoenix's depth on D I would expect Gudbranson to make the NHL next year though while Gormley gets more time to develop. But I still think Gormley is the better D of the two.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Haven't seen Gormley play this season, so I can't/won't comment on which of the two is better. But with regards to Gudbranson, I think people are under selling him a bit.

The question going into this season after Gudbranson going 3rd overall was, did Florida pick a player at 3rd overall who hasn't shown much of an offensive game? Folks wondered if the Panthers basically took a stay-at-home blueliner that high. I think this year Gudbranson has answered those questions with an impressive offensive season.

People who have watched Gudbranson a lot (and not just stat-watched) knew he had offensive upside that maybe didn't translate to production the past season, but this year he's putting things together and is producing quite regularly, especially since he returned from the World Juniors. Gudbranson's got 10 goals and 27 points on the season (in only 35 games), and has 7 goals and 16 points in 14 games since the WJC. He's starting to show his potential as a legitimate two-way defenseman, not just a stay at home type.

I believe that anyone who hasn't really followed him closely this season are going to be surprised at how good he's been offensively, as well as his usually solid defensive game and physical play.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Yea a lot of People don't see Gormley as a very big offensive threat either but he currently has 41 pts in 39 games this season with moncton

CoolburnIsGone

Yea a lot of People don't see Gormley as a very big offensive threat either but he currently has 41 pts in 39 games this season with moncton
I always saw Gormley as having the higher offensive ceiling to Gudbranson (his numbers in Moncton last yr were decent too). But then you see what Gudbranson can do physically and that also separates the 2. Gudbranson is just showing that offensive side that everyone questioned before and showed a lot during the WJC too.

I just see Gudbranson as a more impactful player than Gormley. As mentioned, Gormley wont be flashy but he'll do everything well. But Gudbranson seems to be a guy like Shea Weber, who will make some headlines in the NHL (who Eric said recently when at the Panthers-Leafs game that he likes to model his game after).

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I think I'd still take Gudbranson over Gormley despite the team I root for having Gormley at or around #2 on their list.

I am still a little confused about why New York would pick McIlrath over Gormley though, unless they were going for pure size.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I think I'd still take Gudbranson over Gormley despite the team I root for having Gormley at or around #2 on their list.

I am still a little confused about why New York would pick McIlrath over Gormley though, unless they were going for pure size.

The same reason they picked Hugh Jessiman in 2003.

Give me Gudbranson over Gormley any day of the week.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Omfg not this debate again.

Gormley is a carbon copy of Dan Girardi.

Fowler was a carbon copy of Del Zotto until Del Zotto blew chunks this year.

McIlrath is a carbon copy of... no one in the Rangers system, hence why we took him. Thanks for playing.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Gudbrandson reminds me of Luke Schenn

I'm wondering how much you've seen Gudbranson play, especially this season. Because his style of play isn't anything like Schenn's.

Gudbranson plays a much more active offensive game than Schenn does, even when Schenn was in junior. Gudbranson regularly jumps into the rush. He's not conservative at all. And he's got a slapshot that Schenn doesn't.

If you want to compare Gudbranson to a current NHLer who is more "defense first", then someone like Brent Seabrook is a better comparison. Both guys are rock solid in their own zone, but also have an offensive dimension to their game, which Schenn doesn't.

I just think Schenn's a bad comparison because Schenn's offensive upside is limited, while Gudbranson actually has the potential to be a double digit goal, 30+ point guy.

skroob**

Omfg not this debate again.

Gormley is a carbon copy of Dan Girardi.

Fowler was a carbon copy of Del Zotto until Del Zotto blew chunks this year.

McIlrath is a carbon copy of... no one in the Rangers system, hence why we took him. Thanks for playing.

Just to extend on this a bit, If all their talents pan out, there are prob 15-20 D-men in the NHL who fit the mold of a Fowler or a Gormley. There are about 3 in the NHL who fit the mold of McIlrath.

With a #10 pick (which never, ever, is a "cant miss" draft slot), its a good gamble to take.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm wondering how much you've seen Gudbranson play, especially this season. Because his style of play isn't anything like Schenn's.

Gudbranson plays a much more active offensive game than Schenn does, even when Schenn was in junior. Gudbranson regularly jumps into the rush. He's not conservative at all. And he's got a slapshot that Schenn doesn't.

If you want to compare Gudbranson to a current NHLer who is more "defense first", then someone like Brent Seabrook is a better comparison. Both guys are rock solid in their own zone, but also have an offensive dimension to their game, which Schenn doesn't.

I just think Schenn's a bad comparison because Schenn's offensive upside is limited, while Gudbranson actually has the potential to be a double digit goal, 30+ point guy.

Schenn's really evolved his game this season and is much more assertive in the transition game as well as occasionally jumping into the play or even pinching.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Schenn's really evolved his game this season and is much more assertive in the transition game as well as occasionally jumping into the play or even pinching.

Right, but he's still limited in his overall offensive ability. IMO, Gudbranson isn't. Gudbranson shows the potential to be -- and we're talking completely maxed out, reaching his ceiling -- similar to someone like Shea Weber.

And that comparison isn't an exaggeration. Take a look at both Gudbranson and Weber's development curves in junior and you'll see both were raw, work in progress guys who blossomed the year after they were drafted. Gudbranson has 10 goals and 17 assists in 35 games. Schenn never once showed that kind of offensive potential.

Obviously we won't know for a few years, but IMO, Schenn just isn't a good comparison for Gudbranson because of Gudbranson's higher offensive potential.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Just to extend on this a bit, If all their talents pan out, there are prob 15-20 D-men in the NHL who fit the mold of a Fowler or a Gormley. There are about 3 in the NHL who fit the mold of McIlrath.

With a #10 pick (which never, ever, is a "cant miss" draft slot), its a good gamble to take.

How often do you see gormley play?

Name 5 guys who fit his "exact mold"

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
How often do you see gormley play?

Name 5 guys who fit his "exact mold"

I'd also love to hear 5 who fit Fowler's mold. I'd also love to hear the only 3 who fit McIlrath's.

It doesn't make sense, because when saying there are maybe 3 guys like McIlrath, he has to be talking about his ceiling. Except that makes no sense, because if we're going by ceiling, Gormley is a poor man's Lidstrom and Fowler is a Scott Niedermayer lite, so there are few and far between who fit that mold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad