GDT: CZE - FIN May 10, 2024

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Our only edge is 3 good NHL goalies. We had the potential for a good D but picked the wrong guys. Forwards were never going to be amazing but we did leave good ones behind and brought shittier ones. That's why you see Flek and Krejcik in 3 on 3 and taking shitty shootout shots.lol
But Dostal is clearly your best goalie imho. Mrazek is uneven and I always thought Vejmelka is nothing compared to Dostal. People forget that the Gibson- and Ducks dilemma isn't the easiest. Reminds me of Thomas- Rask in Bruins back in the days. Two good or known goalies.

I've written these comments before this tournament as well. I haven't been as convinced by a Czech goalie since Hasek, Turek and Cechmanek (short span but still), as I have by Dostal now.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
No need to get this dramatic. This was a pretty typical tournament opener overall. Finland will improve and rack up the necessary points.

Getting a favorable matchup in the QF might be a tad more difficult, though. The game vs. Canada will be key in that regard.
I can see the Czechs stumbling for a point or even two - and quite possibly losing to Canada. Getting the one point was very good for us thinking about the group. Though obviously the Canada match will be quite decisive.

Finland needs Konsta Helenius!
It will be very interesting to see him in action!

Reactions: Summer Rose

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I don't think we should think that we will struggle to reach the quarterfinals. We should be able to avoid Sweden at least even though we lost this game. Not too worried. I just hope we get goals vs Great Britain. If that is 0-0 game after the first I might be a bit worried.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
But Dostal is clearly your best goalie imho. Mrazek is uneven and I always thought Vejmelka is nothing compared to Dostal. People forget that the Gibson- and Ducks dilemma isn't the easiest. Reminds me of Thomas- Rask in Bruins back in the days. Two good or known goalies.

I've written these comments before this tournament as well. I haven't been as convinced by a Czech goalie since Hasek, Turek and Cechmanek (short span but still), as I have by Dostal now.
I don't disagree and I think most Czechs also feel Dostal is our future. He may also arrive at the same time some of your young and modern D do.. 3 years from now we may have something going on in the back end. And, hopefully, Hrabal is on his way.

You did miss Vokoun who I have 2nd behind Hasek personally. Won 2 World's to my knowedge.. one was a best on best and the other was a sheer robbery in 2010!

I love Mrazek and he had a very good year on a very bad team. He could easily steal a win like Dostal did today! I am very comfortable if one gets hurt and Vej comes in. It's the only position I like today for us.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
and quite possibly losing to Canada
Our only chance to beat Canada was to play them first as they start slow. They are MASSIVE favorites when we meet next week.

We will definitley lose points. We beat Sweden at U18 and lost to Kazakhistan a day later a month ago. It's the Czech way. Norway will be 3-2 tomorrow and I'm not certain we get 3.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
He has a cheeky shot. He will get his chance, I am sure. Not sure who to sit. I thought Jääskä would be the easy choice, but I liked him tonight.
But Jääskä was also horrible in OT. Stressed and not impressed by his skill level. But then again, not Finlands strength overall. The individual level and OT.

People do sleep on Finland in a best-on-best though! And I do believe we are third behind US and Canada even if it's very even. And the NHL playoffs are such a sign of this statement. Finland have at least 3 elite two-way centers if not 4. (Yeah, I'm high on Lundell as well, underrated for sure).
Heiskanen is such a well balanced D as well. The new Finnish Lidas.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Our only chance to beat Canada was to play them first as they start slow. They are MASSIVE favorites when we meet next week.

We will definitley lose points. We beat Sweden at U18 and lost to Kazakhistan a day later a month ago. It's the Czech way. Norway will be 3-2 tomorrow and I'm not certain we get 3.
Well, I really wouldn't say massive favourites - you have a strong team and the home ice. Anyway, I really like your modern game, relentless pressure and rather physical play, not the cautious, pretty defensive style of earlier times.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Well, I really wouldn't say massive favourites - you have a strong team and the home ice. Anyway, I really like your modern game, relentless pressure and rather physical play, not the cautious, pretty defensive style of earlier times.
Are you talking about the team we sent here in 2024 to Prague?

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
You are a Finn, right? Totally harmless? - if we were totally harmless it would have been like 8-0. God these takes.
I have a different view. Czechia had a lot of bad luck but was active all around and had some successful moves. In Finland there was nothing offensive at all. Nothing!

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Apart from the lack of scoring, the Czechs played well tonight. Very patient and disciplined, save for an individual exception or two. They have a system that provides them a good foundation to build on. Of course, since scoring is the most important thing in hockey, they'll have to solve that one out if they intend to go far. Can't rely on Dostal bailing them out all tournament long.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
I have a different view. Czechia had a lot of bad luck but was active all around and had some successful moves. In Finland there was nothing offensive at all. Nothing!
Should they basically just give up and come home now? I seem to remember a cross bar in the 3rd period and a couple of really good chances in the OT. But whatevs, we are always destined to suck in our own eyes. It's the Finnish way.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Should they basically just give up and come home now? I seem to remember a cross bar in the 3rd period and a couple of really good chances in the OT. But whatevs, we are always destined to suck in our own eyes. It's the Finnish way.
Nevertheless, the offensive game hardly took place. Most counterattacks were harmless. They appear to be the most defensive Finnish team ever in this tournament. But you won't get away with it. Just like 2021 (Corona World Cup).

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Nevertheless, the offensive game hardly took place. Most counterattacks were harmless. They appear to be the most defensive Finnish team ever in this tournament. But you won't get away with it. Just like 2021 (Corona World Cup).
You guys are the very definition of nightmare quarter. If canes are out.. you may also get a nice piece

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
One thing we probably shouldn't forget is that this was the tournament opener against the home team - it's a house full of frenetic home team fans (well, unless it's Tampere with the Onninen ultras, wtg Liitto), so you have to be sort of extra disciplined here, because it's pretty much a given that the home team will attempt some blitzkrieg straight out of the gates. Have to be prepared to withstand that onslaught. So can't blame our boys too much for going this conservative.

As a somewhat related thing, I must comment on the officiating. While both teams were very disciplined, so was the duo of zebras on ice. They showed no signs of cracking under the home crowd's pressure - in fact, at times it almost felt like they were favoring Finland. This is not to say that you couldn't perhaps criticize them, as there were some non-calls that perhaps could have been calls - but overall, it was a pretty ballsy performance from them.

If canes are out.. you may also get a nice piece
Not gonna happen, as Jalonen registered a full roster out of the gates. No spots left.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I hope Mäenalanen can still play in the tournament.
Yeah, hoping so too, but if he is out, we have pretty much one-on-one replacement for him in Oksanen. It's also possible to patch in Helenius and move Jääskä down the lineup.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
When did he do it? Not defending it... Just curious what play and what he did?
Around the 55-minute mark, Mäenalanen tried to deliver a hit on Gudas in front of the benches, Gudas ducked out of the way, causing Mäenalanen to trip and land shoulder-first against the boards, which took him out of the game.

IMO it wasn't really a dirty play by Gudas. A bit of a pest move, perhaps, but as a Finn, complaining about pests feels a tad hypocritical. A far dumber move by Gudas was mistaking hockey for wrestling at the waning minutes, it could have cost his team the game.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
When did he do it? Not defending it... Just curious what play and what he did?
Well, him being him, a rat is a rat, though, yeah, that looked pretty innocent, but with him you never know.

IMO it wasn't really a dirty play by Gudas. A bit of a pest move, perhaps, but as a Finn, complaining about pests feels a tad hypocritical.
Really? I pretty much only remember Jarkko Ruutu of any notable fame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad